My training blog;

Started my c+e today and, in the absence of anything better to do, thought I’d tell you all how it’s going (and any tips I pick up along the way)

Right, first of all, I won’t mention who’s training me until I’m either all done or they ask me to.

I’m finding going forewards a doddle so far, just like in a rigid but you don’t get away with it so easy if you ■■■■ it up and you don’t feel it so well if you do catch a curb. The only major problem I’m having sofar (going forwards) is the gears but I suppose that’s to be expected until I get used to this particular truck.

Reversing’s a completely different kettle of fish, it’s all a bit strange to me at the moment but did seem to be improving. I’m not too worried about it though as if all else fails, I’ll just take a shunt. Basicly, I think I need to turn the steering wheel quicker and get the hang of getting the unit parallel with the yellow line (any tips?) and learn to resist the temptation to straighten the unit up with the trailer too early. Apart from that, I don’t seem to be doing too bad.

Just to give jou all a laugh though - I got it stuck on a bridge this morning! It snowed quite heavily round here. Just before the bridge there’s a left hand bend which I went round quite slowly because of the conditions and I was being careful not to clip the curb. I didn’t have enough momentum to get up the bridge so the inevitable happened and it just wouldn’t shift lol. Luckily, one of the cars stuck behind me was a landrover who pulled it over the hump (thankyou very much!).

Hopefuly I’ll do better with the reversing tomorow :unamused:

getting the unit parallel with the yellow line (any tips?)

Assuming this is at the start of the exercise - are you thinking about the trailer when you do it :question: :question:

darkseeker wrote:-
I think I need to turn the steering wheel quicker and get the hang of getting the unit parallel with the yellow line (any tips?)

As soon as you start to move get full lock as quickly as poss - count one two and the change lock for lock, making sure the vehicle is movong all the time. Sometimes there is writing on the side of the truck and you can pick a point on it that the wind deflector of the cab just starts to cover and then turn lock for lock.

Keep parallel with the line until the offside cone of the bay starts to dis-appear behind the trailer, then left hand down.

Crossing of hands is allowed on reverse so if you need more speed at changing lock don’t worry if you do - although its not neccessary. Remember to keep the truck moving at all times.

Hope that helps - but practice makes perfect.

ROG:

Assuming this is at the start of the exercise - are you thinking about the trailer when you do it :question: :question:

yeah, you put the initial right hand lock on and, once the trailer’s at about the right angle put the opposite lock on to get the o/s wheels parralell with the right hand yellow line - that’s where I’m struggling, I can’t seem to judge paralell very well.

I did seem to be getting there but I was just after any advise.

Smart Mart:

darkseeker wrote:-
I think I need to turn the steering wheel quicker and get the hang of getting the unit parallel with the yellow line (any tips?)

As soon as you start to move get full lock as quickly as poss - count one two and the change lock for lock, making sure the vehicle is movong all the time. Sometimes there is writing on the side of the truck and you can pick a point on it that the wind deflector of the cab just starts to cover and then turn lock for lock.

Keep parallel with the line until the offside cone of the bay starts to dis-appear behind the trailer, then left hand down.

Crossing of hands is allowed on reverse so if you need more speed at changing lock don’t worry if you do - although its not neccessary. Remember to keep the truck moving at all times.

Hope that helps - but practice makes perfect.

My method is different to that and is posted in my tips if you want to see it BUT as you can now see, instructors do not have a uniformed method and a lot will depend on the set up you are using,
LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR.
Feel free to ask here for specific advice if you are struggling and your instructor CANNOT help you. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To Smart Mart - not intended to lessen your advice, just a general observation.

darkseeker:

ROG:

yeah, you put the initial right hand lock on and, once the trailer’s at about the right angle put the opposite lock on to get the o/s wheels parralell with the right hand yellow line - that’s where I’m struggling, I can’t seem to judge paralell very well.

I did seem to be getting there but I was just after any advise.

Sorry to ask again but are you thinking about the trailer when you do it :question:

no, that’s quite understandable rog and I’m sure he’s more than capeable of solving this one but, you never know - someone might have an absolute gem of a tip for this very problem.

No offence intended to anyone, of course

sorry, too slow lol.

no, I don’t think so, I just seem to be having difficulty judging when I’ve got the unit paralell with the line.

The way I’ve been shown is to get the trailer at the right angle (mark on headboard) then get the unit paralell and go straight back until I see the mark again (putting the trailer at a sharper angle I guess) then get the whole lot straight and head for the other side of the area. Not being able to get it (the unit) paralell with the line seems to be causing me a problem right from the start hence the question

Rog, seem to be doing pretty much the same as in your tips.

look at your pic, the third outline from the top (in red ish) the unit’s straight (parallel with yellow lines) and the trailer’s across the area at an angle. it’s getting the unit paralell with the yellow lines at this point I’m struggling with.

I know it needs to be paralell and stay that way while I go back a bit to put that bit more bend in the setup but I always seem to end up too shallow so the bend doesn’t happen soon enough. Any help?

Think of the unit as a rigid when at the parallel part, and just keep the rear offside wheels of the unit that 18" away, adjust as necessary.

Good to know you are confident about the reverse. As you say, if you go slightly out of line you can always take a shunt.
Too many people try to plough on and do it in one hit without using the shunt they are entitled to - and mess it up.
Sensible thinking to be so laid back about it and be willing to use the shunt option.
Just take your time and concentrate and you should have no probs.

Mothertrucker:
Too many people try to plough on and do it in one hit without using the shunt they are entitled to - and mess it up.

:blush: Guess who did exactly that at Simonswood in 1979.? :blush:
:wink: Passed at Swynnerton at the next attempt though. :sunglasses:

Mothertrucker:
Good to know you are confident about the reverse. As you say, if you go slightly out of line you can always take a shunt.
Sensible thinking to be so laid back about it and be willing to use the shunt option.
Just take your time and concentrate and you should have no probs.

lol, not sure I’d go as far as saying confident but I’m erm, safe in the knowlage I’ve got a plan B :laughing:

Just hope I haven’t offended anyone by asking for tips on here

darkseeker:
I just seem to be having difficulty judging when I’ve got the unit paralell with the line.

Bet you could reverse your car and your rigid lorry 18 inches from and paralell with the line and keep that paralell gap of 18 inches whilst you reverse :slight_smile: so, what’s the problem with a size of vehicle that is between the sizes of the other two :unamused: :unamused: - when you look at the problem in that context, and apply that sort of logical thinking, does it now seem so difficult :question: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

lol, sounds simple doesn’t it :blush:

Maybe you’re right, I couldn’t put my finger on what I was doing wrong!

I’ll try again anyhow, I’ll get there in the end. Thanks for the help sofar anyway :wink:

Guess who did exactly that at Simonswood in 1979.?

Hmm. … Wouldnt be anyone we know and love here would it :laughing: :laughing:

If hindsight where foresight life would be so much simpler.

darkseeker:
I can’t seem to judge paralell very well.

I had a whole weeks entertainment because my co-learner couldn’t quite grasp the concept of running parallel. Even though every night he was playing with his kid’s toy lorry on the kitchen table. :smiley:

He somehow managed to get it right in the test centre though. The instructor and I were both amazed given the trouble he was having all week.

I think you just have to think more about the position of the unit rather than the trailer at that point.

You’ll have a eureka! moment with it.

darkseeker:
I can’t seem to judge paralell very well.

macplaxton:
I think you just have to think more about the position of the unit rather than the trailer at that point.

macplaxton:
You’ll have a eureka! moment with it.

Eureka !!!

got it! well, I seem to be ok with getting the unit paralell anyway, I don’t know how - maybe I was just having an off day yesterday. I’m still not great when it comes to getting it in in one but I’ve definately Improved and there’s always a “plan B” anyway.

Apart from that, I’m not sure really, I don’t seem to be doing too bad (think it was right to go for it as soon as I got the class2 done). I’m struggling with the gears a little but hopefuly I’ll get that sorted tomorow.

I can judge where I need to be for nearly all corners etc apart from if I don’t realise how tight it is until it’s too late so I’ll try to get into the habit of looking carefuly BEFORE I do anything :unamused:

As far as the test’s concerened, at the moment I feel that as long as I was lucky with where the examiner takes me and no-one does anything that’ll cause me a major problem I’d pass. Saying that, I’m only about half way through my training so things are looking quite good, I think. :wink:

you’re doing fine for day 2 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - just curious :confused: - why are you having probs with the gears ? - is it not a standard 4 over 4 or slapbox :question: :question: