So, I've booked my C+E training

Well, after I passed my class 2 rigid, I did a couple of agency jobs, which, I have to admit, were absolutely terrible. The driving of the lorry itself I love, but the lack of training you get given for the actual job is horrific.

Anyway, had my assessment yesterday, and because I’m using a different lorry, it took me a good few minutes to get used to the gearstick. (passed my C test in an 18 ton DAF CF, doing my C+E in a smaller MAN, with the drawbar unit) after I got used to the gears, the driving around on roads was fine. Still got my mirror, mirror, blind spot training head on, negotiated the roundabouts fine, got back to the training centre and had a crack at the reverse, and I can honestly say, I have misjudged the difference between the rigid reverse and the CE reverse! Right goes left, left goes right! Sounds like such a simple thing, but when you’re there behind the wheel, and you know you need to turn right, but turn left anyway, it’s so frustrating! It’s like my brain doesn’t process left and right quick enough when doing the reverse! I did manage to get it in - first time, but that was with my instructor walking along side the truck repeatedly correcting me!

Was just wondering, did anybody else have difficulty with the wag and drag reverse? Does anybody else’s brain take a while to process which way to turn during the reverse? I know it was my first time, and I do have a 16 hour course coming up, so I’ll have time to practice it, but it’s the only thing I’m really concerned about!

Because of lack in training time I had to tell myself which direction to steer. Then at some point it comes and you do it right. When you got yourself in the “box” even with trainer help you have to go for the next attempt. Try to give little steering inputs when you reverse in a straight line for the “test start position” to see what your trailer does.

Most important thing to remember! You have three shunts. If you feel you are “overkooked”, stop, move forward a bit then proceed to the “box”.
Hope this helps.

Funny things happen when you come off artic or W&D and you must drive Rigid. Keep steering wrong way. I do sometimes even with unit only when coupling to the trailer! :smiley:

Zanfta:
Because of lack in training time I had to tell myself which direction to steer. Then at some point it comes and you do it right. When you got yourself in the “box” even with trainer help you have to go for the next attempt. Try to give little steering inputs when you reverse in a straight line for the “test start position” to see what your trailer does.

Most important thing to remember! You have three shunts. If you feel you are “overkooked”, stop, move forward a bit then proceed to the “box”.
Hope this helps.

Funny things happen when you come off artic or W&D and you must drive Rigid. Keep steering wrong way. I do sometimes even with unit only when coupling to the trailer! :smiley:

3 shunts? So not 2 like you get with the rigid training?

I know I’ll probably get the hang of things through my training, it was just like being a complete amateur again (which I kind of am) when it came to the reverse, actually driving with the trailer on I found easy and fun, which is a good sign!

Not to worry though, practice makes perfect!

I believe it’s two shunts and you can get out once.
But yes it’s important you remember you do have shunts and better go for it instead of hitting a cone or anything. Good luck.

Right.
My appologies for confusing you with the number of shunts. Any way. Bear in mind you have at least one and use it if in doubt!

What a waste of time attempting to reverse with no training!

Please don’t worry about reversing. You should have it explained, demonstrated and practiced many times before test.

There is nothing hard about reversing a w+d or an artic. But to attempt either with no training IMO is a bad plan. Just demoralising.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
What a waste of time attempting to reverse with no training!

Please don’t worry about reversing. You should have it explained, demonstrated and practiced many times before test.

There is nothing hard about reversing a w+d or an artic. But to attempt either with no training IMO is a bad plan. Just demoralising.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I kind of insisted on it if I’m honest. I mentioned I was confident about my driving, but I was intrigued as to the positioning of the CE reverse, so my instructor said after the assessment that he would quickly walk me through one reverse. I actually got it in, albeit with my instructor walking at the side of me pointing out the errors. I think it’s useful, now I know to a degree what to expect on my training. A heads up if you like!

You shouldn’t panic too much about the reversing. I have seen many guys struggling until the last day of training and suddenly it clicks ! The most important is the first step when you have to steer right and then left to be parallel with the trailer. Don’t steer without moving. Take your time and open that window if you have to. Keep it straight and gently steer but wait to see what happen. Remember it’s not instant, takes a while for the trailer to respond. Practicing too much is pointless I think. Do it 4 times if it doesn’t work go for a drive and try again.
Perhaps practice by reversing in a straight line first. YOU can do it… Well if I can therefore you can :slight_smile: good luck . Let us know

L’amiral:
You shouldn’t panic too much about the reversing. I have seen many guys struggling until the last day of training and suddenly it clicks ! The most important is the first step when you have to steer right and then left to be parallel with the trailer. Don’t steer without moving. Take your time and open that window if you have to. Keep it straight and gently steer but wait to see what happen. Remember it’s not instant, takes a while for the trailer to respond. Practicing too much is pointless I think. Do it 4 times if it doesn’t work go for a drive and try again.
Perhaps practice by reversing in a straight line first. YOU can do it… Well if I can therefore you can :slight_smile: good luck . Let us know

Sorry L’amiral mate, only just noticed your reply.

I’m confident about my driving for the class 1, I really am, but the whole reverse and couple - uncouple is what I’m worried about!

I’ll ask me trainer when I start, but the couple and uncouple, is this done before and after the test, or do you do both uncouple and couple before you go out on your drive?

Are you learning on an artic or draw bar?

L’amiral:
Are you learning on an artic or draw bar?

Draw bar.

Endgame:

L’amiral:

Sorry L’amiral mate, only just noticed your reply.

I’m confident about my driving for the class 1, I really am, but the whole reverse and couple - uncouple is what I’m worried about!

I’ll ask me trainer when I start, but the couple and uncouple, is this done before and after the test, or do you do both uncouple and couple before you go out on your drive?

Hi

There’s no rule. The examiner can ask you to do it before or after you go on the road. It’s a simple exercise. Just remember BLACK when you uncouple.

B-Brake
L-Legs
A-Airlines
C-Clip
K-King pin

and opposite when you couple.

You will be fine.
Take your time and take your shunts if you have to.

Good luck.

Sorry mate I only just noticed you learning on draw bar.

Make sure you check the trailer brake after you have taken the suzies out !!! But I’m sure your instructor has all ready told you that. The reversing is all about not losing the trailer and take your time. A little to the left a little to the right. Watch video on YouTube it does help

Easier said than done I guess… Sorry.

L’amiral:
Make sure you check the trailer brake after you have taken the suzies out !!! But I’m sure your instructor has all ready told you that. The reversing is all about not losing the trailer and take your time. A little to the left a little to the right. Watch video on YouTube it does help

Yeah, have been watching the Youtube video’s, they make it look really simple!

We use a drawbar trailer for our Cat C courses. Here is the process we use to teach the candidates:-

Trailer Uncoupling and Coupling procedure

Uncoupling a draw bar trailer for the Cat C+E test

1 Apply trailer parking brake.

2 Lower the landing leg(s).

3 Remove air lines and electrical connections from the towing vehicle and stow them
away in a safe place.

4 Raise and release the trailer coupling pin.

5 Pull traction vehicle slowly away from the trailer and park alongside

6 Mention that you would remove trailer number plate and lower under-run bar

Coupling a draw bar trailer for the Cat C+E test

1 Check trailer parking brake is applied

2 Raise the trailer coupling pin

3 Make an all round visual check of the trailer including tyre condition and MOT
certificate

4 Align vehicle with trailer. Stop approx 6ft away. Switch off engine and make a visual
check that the trailer is at the correct height for coupling. (Double check trailer
coupling pin is raised)

5 Reverse slowly towards the trailer until you hear the coupling pin engage.

6 Engage a low forward gear and make 2 attempts to pull forward to check the
coupling pin has engaged properly.

7 Switch off the vehicle engine. Make a visual check of the coupling pin to be certain
that the coupling bar is down fully.

8 Fit both air lines and all electric and ABS cables properly.

9 Raise the trailer landing leg(s)

10 Release the trailer parking brake.

11 Mention that you would fit the trailer number plate, check that all trailer lights are
working and that you would do a rolling brake check

Be careful when unclipping the safety chain lol I ripped the wire from the chain on my test lol and all I had left was the hook thing.Dont rush your test either I was on the road believe it or not from 10.30 to 12.30 lol

Trucker Rick:
Be careful when unclipping the safety chain lol I ripped the wire from the chain on my test lol and all I had left was the hook thing.Dont rush your test either I was on the road believe it or not from 10.30 to 12.30 lol

2 hours? Man, that’s a long time! I was under the impression the CE test, out on the road bit was less, due to the couple and uncouple?

Well, my training starts pretty soonish. If you never hear back from me, it means I’ve failed and driven into the sea in a fit of rage!

No safety chain on a drawbar. No-one can ever be on the road for 2 hours. It’s a 50 minute minimum drive, plus 2 safety questions, couple/uncouple and reverse. The whole thing rarely takes 90 minutes. Normally about 75 minutes.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: