So, I've booked my C+E training

Peter Smythe:

Be careful when unclipping the safety chain lol I ripped the wire from the chain on my test lol and all I had left was the hook thing.Dont rush your test either I was on the road believe it or not from 10.30 to 12.30 lol

No safety chain on a drawbar. No-one can ever be on the road for 2 hours. It’s a 50 minute minimum drive, plus 2 safety questions, couple/uncouple and reverse. The whole thing rarely takes 90 minutes. Normally about 75 minutes.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Un less there was a major accident & nobody was moving

Try not to do what I did on my CE test mount a curb but still passes :laughing:

animal:

Peter Smythe:

Be careful when unclipping the safety chain lol I ripped the wire from the chain on my test lol and all I had left was the hook thing.Dont rush your test either I was on the road believe it or not from 10.30 to 12.30 lol

No safety chain on a drawbar. No-one can ever be on the road for 2 hours. It’s a 50 minute minimum drive, plus 2 safety questions, couple/uncouple and reverse. The whole thing rarely takes 90 minutes. Normally about 75 minutes.

Un less there was a major accident & nobody was moving

Try not to do what I did on my CE test mount a curb but still passes :laughing:

How did you manage that then? Bribe the examiner? Lol.

Not at all was easy really turned corner cat C stopped in road legs down doing road / verg works was advised to pass this vehicle as safely as poss

You probably know this but don’t forget you can open your window and stick your head out to help you when reversing, you can get a better view that way!

Mounting a kerb is normally bad news. But, depending on the conditions and the size of the vehicle, it is not an automatic fail. It’s generally accepted that you can run the tyre round the edge of the kerb (as long as it’s a reasonably tight turn) but that, once the tyre is airborne, you’re in trouble. But it’s a big mistake, frequently made, to think you’ve failed for anything. The examiner has the pen and it’s his/her decision.

animal:
Not at all was easy really turned corner cat C stopped in road legs down doing road / verg works was advised to pass this vehicle as safely as poss

The day Animal passed C+E was quite an adventure. A great day despite what she says.

The uncoupling was something I rarely witness. Animal is a proper girl trucker. If anyone has doubts about C+E PM Angela, she has both the knowledge and now, the experience.

LGVTrainer:

animal:

The day Animal passed C+E was quite an adventure. A great day despite what she says.

The uncoupling was something I rarely witness. Animal is a proper girl trucker. If anyone has doubts about C+E PM Angela, she has both the knowledge and now, the experience.

It was that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well, thankfully I’ve not come anywhere near any kerbs yet on my CE training. If anything, the only thing I’m concerned about is the reverse and couple/uncouple.

Overall, though, I feel a lot more confident in general compare to my C training. I’m using a MAN 8 gear knock over box with trailer, as opposed to the DAF CF with trailer. The MAN with a trailer is easier on left/right hand turns than the DAF was without a trailer.

Well, unfortunately I failed the test, but for something that wasn’t due to my driving, in fact, my examiner afterwards said my driving was near enough faultless, but because I’d held up some cars at a roundabout for about 2 minutes without moving off, I got marked down for a serious on undue hesitation. On reflection, I realised I could have gone ALOT sooner than I did, so I fully stand by and accept the examiners decision (not much I could do about it either way) the rest of the test I was at ease and confidently and competently drove that lorry.

The irony of this is, the hour before my test, me and my instructor hit the same roundabout and it was clear! If that hour I’d of had with my instructor had been the test, I’m sure I would have passed! Not to worry though, I WILL pass next time and I will get to grips with timing and reading the traffic right on those roundabouts. I was hesitant because I had the trailer, kept thinking to myself “shall I go now?” Then I’d hold off because I’d realise I’m twice as long as I was in the rigid! But the feedback I got back off my examiner afterwards was positive (aside from the serious undue hesitation)

Anyway, roll on my retest! My training school are busy, so I’m just waiting on them to try and shuffle some dates about and get me in for a retest. I don’t think I need any extra training, perhaps just an hour or two before my test, but feeling really confident for the next time round!

Will keep you all updated on this post on how it goes, and thanks for the advice everyone!

Sorry to hear that. The upside is that you fully understand what happened so you should be able to correct it. My only advice is not to go too far the other way and start cutting spaces too fine. That’s what happens sometimes in these cases.

Better luck next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Glad to read about a positive mind. Not giving up is the best way. Well done .

Sorry to hear you got the wrong result. That situation is probably the most difficult one especially on the CE test.

In those difficult moments when you’re not sure whether to go or not we advise candidates to let the examiner know what they’re thinking. “I didn’t take that gap because …” It lets him know how you’re reading the situation.

As Peter says be careful not to go the other way too much and go for 50/50 gaps.