My training blog;

I don’t know really rog, this is a 4 over 4 and the rigid I trained in was a slapper :laughing:

I sometimes can’t get it in gear and other times I go too far and end up in crawler or grinding reverse :blush: . They’re all really close to eachother, I think I just need to get used to it. I’m sure my instructor will have some pointers for me.

Never really had problems like this before - I used to be a mechanic so I’m used to jumping into strange vehicles and sorting myself out, I’m just not getting on very well with this one. The only thing I can think of is maybe I’m trying to change too quickly and I need to be less heavy handed when moving it to the side. Tomorow’s another day though, as they say :wink:

darkseeker:
I don’t know really rog, this is a 4 over 4 and the rigid I trained in was a slapper :laughing:

I sometimes can’t get it in gear and other times I go too far and end up in crawler or grinding reverse :blush: . They’re all really close to eachother, I think I just need to get used to it. I’m sure my instructor will have some pointers for me.

Never really had problems like this before - I used to be a mechanic so I’m used to jumping into strange vehicles and sorting myself out, I’m just not getting on very well with this one. The only thing I can think of is maybe I’m trying to change too quickly and I need to be less heavy handed when moving it to the side. Tomorow’s another day though, as they say :wink:

Sorry - can’t help one bit with the reverse - only done my rigid up to now - but I’m sure I’ll have the same probs as you when I get round to my artic! I have exactly the same setup as yours - slapover C, range change CE, so I’m looking at what’s going on in this thread with great interest!

Gears? Once again haven’t driven a range change since I passed, only a straight 6. Are you taking your time with the changes? On my first couple of days training on the slap, I was hurrying my changes a bit - trainer had to din it into my head that it WASN’T A RACE :exclamation: :exclamation: Once I mastered this, I found the box much easier to handle. Maybe the same applies here :question:

BTW - what make is the unit :question:

unit’s a daf. Erm, I think that’s maybe what’s up, I’ll probably find out tomorow though.

darkseeker:
unit’s a daf. Erm, I think that’s maybe what’s up, I’ll probably find out tomorow though.

Oh dear :exclamation:

Might have ■■■■ well known :exclamation: :exclamation:

Thanks for the advance warning :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Seriously though, if it isn’t a mechanical problem (you would surely have worked this out by now with your knowledge on these matters), then surely it will come together by the time of your test. If you had seen me drive during the second day of my C course, you honestly wouldn’t have put me in charge of a Dinky toy :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush: :blush: Gears were one of my major problems.

darkseeker:
the rigid I trained in was a slapper :laughing:

Thats not a nice thing to say about a lorry - you might hurt it’s feelings :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, modern lorry gearboxes are designed for the ladies to use so you using your muscle to find the gear will not work. (reverse gear might be the exception).
If you are having extra probs when changing the range from say, gear 3 to 5 or 5 to 3, then remember, you can flick the switch in readiness as it will not change the range until you put it in neutral.
From a static start I get my trainees to put switch down, into 3rd, flick switch up. Can now set off in 3rd and then go straight to 5th without touching the switch :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
If the probs are due to rushing the gear change then ‘SAY HELLO’ to neutral :exclamation: - gear 7 to 5 - take out of 7. HELLO NEUTRAL, into 5 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The only thing I can think of is maybe I’m trying to change too quickly and I need to be less heavy handed when moving it to the side.

Got it in one!!

Everyone will tell you that rushing does not do any truck any favours and it will fight back. take your time and be laid back about it and the changes will be smoother and you willhave no trouble.

As you say tomorrow is another day and I am sure you will have a nice smooth ride under your belt by the end of the day.

Think ahead
Plan ahead
and ALLOW ourself the TIME to do things nice and easy.

darkseeker:

my first two days learning in the ridgid i had the same problem with the range changer grinding reverse i learnt fast treat it like a ladie gentle and slow it doesn’t need alot of movement across i trained in a scania 94 8 speed range changer

ROG:
Seriously, modern lorry gearboxes are designed for the ladies to use so you using your muscle to find the gear will not work. (reverse gear might be the exception).

They’re called “drivers” these days ROG :wink:

ROG:
If you are having extra probs when changing the range from say, gear 3 to 5 or 5 to 3, then remember, you can flick the switch in readiness as it will not change the range until you put it in neutral.

I’m fairly sure I remember reading in a Volvo drivers handbook that the range change wasn’t to be used whilst in neutral, but now I can’t for the life of me remember which model it related to. (It’ll be an old model knowing me.:grimacing:)

ROG:
From a static start I get my trainees to put switch down, into 3rd, flick switch up. Can now set off in 3rd and then go straight to 5th without touching the switch :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
If the probs are due to rushing the gear change then ‘SAY HELLO’ to neutral :exclamation: - gear 7 to 5 - take out of 7. HELLO NEUTRAL, into 5 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I used to say the same about the static start too. :smiley:
:laughing: I like the “hello neutral,” it’s a cracker.:grimacing:

dieseldave:

ROG:

They’re called “drivers” these days ROG :wink:

Sorry :blush: :blush: :blush: should have said ‘Lady drivers’ and yes, I meant to discriminate between the two genders for this particular scenario.
Males have a tendency, especially when nervous or stressed, to tense up which, in turn, makes the arm muscles stiffen, become over powerful and therefore, less delicate with the gearstick.

ROG:
Sorry :blush: :blush: :blush: should have said ‘Lady drivers’ and yes, I meant to discriminate between the two genders for this particular scenario.

Just thought I’d warn you that there are some females who might object to that.
:blush: I’ve been carpeted at the college for exactly that kind of comment, which I also hadn’t intended to be offensive. :blush:
Giving tuition can be a bit frustrating at times. :wink:

ROG:
Males have a tendency, especially when nervous or stressed, to tense up which, in turn, makes the arm muscles stiffen, become over powerful and therefore, less delicate with the gearstick.

Agreed ROG, I’ve seen that so many times too, but TBF, I have noticed that some females do the same.:grimacing:

lol, sorry guys, Didn’t read these replies until now as I needed an early night!

Ladies, take it as a compliment, you’re not a ham-fisted loon like me! :laughing:

I’ve not been particularly heavy handed with the gears, but (as I know how the bits and pieces work) I should’ve known taking my time with them would help - it did, when I remembered what I was doing.

one thing that sums it up - the pressure of needing to do everything right makes it hard work remembering how to. Makes sense to me anyway :laughing:

I’m not doing bad though, haven’t done any reversing today - needed to get some town driving in (either that or the instructor’s decided it’s a lost cause with me! lol) The gears have improved, though I do ■■■■ it up now and then and I should probably stop making it struggle in fifth (to avoid going into low range :blush: ).

I’m making silly mistakes and struggling a bit with roundabouts - there seems to be a lot round here where it’s difficult to work out where people are going and I’ve pulled out on two or three today :confused:

Mirrors aren’t a problem really which I’m happy about and I’m doing ok with the tighter corners. So, over all - looking quite hopeful really. I’ll probably get a lot of minors for things like being a bit slow and for hesitating but as long as I pass that can be sorted out when I get out on the road (it’s what nearly all of my class2’s minors were for).

Soo, any last minute tips?

As long as I have a bit of luck with the route and the people out and about, I’ll pass. Wish me luck :confused:

dieseldave:

ROG:

Just thought I’d warn you that there are some females who might object to that.
:blush: I’ve been carpeted at the college for exactly that kind of comment, which I also hadn’t intended to be offensive. :blush:
Giving tuition can be a bit frustrating at times. :wink:

See your point but I could not find another way of putting it and staying ‘PC’ - what a world we live in where we have to be careful not to mention things that are (usually) different between the 2 genders :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

They’re called “drivers” these days ROG

Thank you Dave.

Sorry should have said ‘Lady drivers’ and yes, I meant to discriminate between the two genders for this particular scenario.

This 'Trucker Driver (male) and Lady Trucker ’ thing is getting real boring. People who drive trucks for a living are Truckers - end of.

I doubt very much that the big truck companies bother to design their newest trucks on the offchance that a woman may, one day, drive one.

I presumed that gearboxes where getting better simply because modern technology was improving - no other reason.

I remember the days of crash gear boxes and sleeping across the seats and I also remember seeing women driving those same trucks - and not writing letters of complaint to the manufacturers!

They managed perfectly well during the war too when lots of truckers where female as they where the only ones left in the country as most males where in the army.

I will now climb down off my soapbox - The pretty one with the pink paint and the frilly cushion on top :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

struggling a bit with roundabouts - there seems to be a lot round here where it’s difficult to work out where people are going and I’ve pulled out on two or three today

Try to see, where possible, the lane position of the vehicles approaching it - for example, if they approach on the left then they 'usually go straight on or left with no signal :exclamation: - they may ‘straighten it’ so it seems that they are, or might, go right but if you knew where they set up on the approach then you could reasonably be sure that they were going straight on.

Does that make sense :question: - it does to me but I’m the one writing it :exclamation: :unamused: :wink:

Rog, that’s in your tips lol, I’ve read it, understand it and am greatful for it :laughing:

But; what do you do if you cant see which lane they’re in- i.e there’s a huge mound of mud in the way namely the roundabout.

Or, the traffic’s that busy you couldn’t possibly keep tabs on where all the cars have come from?

sounds stupid but I’m not the quickest thinker in the world so I struggle to get out but I also know I can’t just sit there! Sometimes it seems more like luck than judgement! :laughing:

darkseeker:
Rog, that’s in your tips lol, I’ve read it, understand it and am greatful for it :laughing:

But; what do you do if you cant see which lane they’re in- i.e there’s a huge mound of mud in the way namely the roundabout.

Or, the traffic’s that busy you couldn’t possibly keep tabs on where all the cars have come from?

sounds stupid but I’m not the quickest thinker in the world so I struggle to get out but I also know I can’t just sit there! Sometimes it seems more like luck than judgement! :laughing:

ASSUME THEY ARE COMING ACROSS YOUR INTENDED PATH - better to get a minor for ‘undue hesitation’ than a ‘serious’ for making another road user change speed or direction - IT AINT EASY to do for the way the DSA want it done - remember it is a DSA test and not ‘real life’ :exclamation:

yeah, that’s the only thing I could think of too rog, isn’t it a serious if you’re there too long though?

darkseeker:
yeah, that’s the only thing I could think of too rog, isn’t it a serious if you’re there too long though?

A very fine line _______________________________________

Hesitation is a minus …

Pulling out in front is a serious …

Take the minus every time AT LEAST YOU ARE STILL IN THE GAME …

Awareness and anticipation ( Forward Planning ) See it and deal with it …

As the course goes on you will see a lot more going on as you relax more with the truck. .

darkseeker:

It’s not the length of time that matters - it is ‘MISSED OPPORTUNITIES’ that will get you a serious for undue hesitation.

ROG:

darkseeker:

It’s not the length of time that matters - it is ‘MISSED OPPORTUNITIES’ that will get you a serious for undue hesitation.

yeah, I should be ok with that then as long as I fight the temptation to take risks.

Other than that, I’ll have a last read through your tips rog and I’ll give it my best shot!

Thanks for the advice everybody, test’s 12:00 tomorow. Wish me luck! I’ll let you know how I get on :confused: