My first shift was today

It was an early start just gone 4am with Royal Mail…

the thing is: I had no ‘induction’ of some sort,ie: have not been told how things ‘work’ and I’ve never driven for this kind of ‘environment’, the type of jobs I used to have were european tramping for small firms where I had my wagon all the time and no need to change trailer etc

so here I was in this huge mail sorting centre with loads of bays/vehicles/rules/paperwork/trailers etc etc etc

all I was told when I did my assessment was that I must ‘not’ EVER be given a trailer with rear-steering-axle, that the ones with white front are double-deckers and 16’2" and need a 3 axle unit to tow. I was not shown how to use them, not told how to know where to pick the right trailer up, and so on (you get the drift…)

so this morning I turned up 35 minutes early because of this, told the guy in the transport office I was a ‘newbie’ and I ‘knew nothing’, he didn’t seem too taken back, think he’s used to it or maybe my face gives it away■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

so he got someone to ‘show me round’ and tell me what to do, the thing is that by the time this happened and I was shown around I was already 35 minutes late with starting my duty…then I was sent to CENTRAL LONDON!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

of course trust me to get the ‘wrong road’, nothing ‘bad’ in itself (no bashing bridges or any laws broken, I was always ‘careful’ and ‘legal’) however this made me ‘even more late’!!!

made it into central london and back out alive and leaving others alive too and no bashed bridges etc (phew) however now I was ONE WHOLE HOUR LATE with my schedule.

thankfully everyone’s REALLY nice, the transport manager unravelled the duty, took something off it so to put me back on track and finish on time.

I had one moment of ‘bricking it’ on my way back from central London…the guys at the depot told me (before I went out in the morning), DO NOT go in the underpass, that’s too low for your trailer, however the bridge after that is ok. As I went the wrong way into London I never came across this so on my way back I see a short ‘underpass’ in front of me, however it has NO signs prohibiting heavy goods vehicles and NO signs telling me of a ‘height/weight restriction’…I keep thinking to myself surely IT MUST BE OK as there is nothing to tell me it’s not?? :question:

however I could remember the guys in my head saying ‘do not go in the underpass’ :open_mouth:

so I thought as it seemed not to be forbidden I should try it…, I was lucky there was still not a lot of traffic so no one behind me… I went for it, really really slowly, stopped with my unit under the underpass and trailer just before it, got my head out of window and looked: I think I am ok, but still ‘scared’ and proceeded at ‘snails’ pace listening out for scratches/bangs (oh my lord, I was so scared HAHAHAHAHA) but no noises no ‘hearth-quakes’ I DID IT :smiley:

as I proceeded on my journey after that I THEN ended up facing the underpass the guys told me about, but this was clearly sign-posted as height-restricted to 4.9 metres (my trailer height being 4.95) and I went off road/up slip road/over it and re-joined road after it avoiding it safely :slight_smile:

apart from that all the rest was ok…a little slow/rusty on the reversing but managed to do it and got a little better by end of shift.

all in all I can tell I will like working there as they’re all welcoming/friendly and once I get to know all the different drops/bays/routes then no problem :slight_smile:

I’m back for another go in 2 days time, tomorrow am doing UK Mail :slight_smile:

Good read Dave :smiley:
How was driving into London? The last time I drove there it was a nightmare and that was 1988!!! In a small van!!!
Well done for keeping your cool

Moonpigdan:
Good read Dave :smiley:
How was driving into London? The last time I drove there it was a nightmare and that was 1988!!! In a small van!!!
Well done for keeping your cool

thanks Moonpigdan…

…who is Dave?? :wink: :grimacing:

I drive into London daily but on a motorbike, never in an artic, it was a bit ‘unnerving’ but I managed to keep my cool, thanx for the encouragement :slight_smile:

That’s a good read and encouraging as soon I’ll have my first day. Well done!

Yoni:
That’s a good read and encouraging as soon I’ll have my first day. Well done!

thank you

and looking forward to read your first ‘story’ :slight_smile:

good luck :slight_smile:

Well done mate. Soon be my turn.

mattsplatt:
Well done mate. Soon be my turn.

thanks, and here’s to a good first day out for you too :slight_smile:

I’m guessing by Central London you were sent to the Mount and you’re talking about going under Hanger Lane underpass with the height limit.
Glad it all worked out ok for you. Although you feel you weren’t shown everything don’t be afraid to ask anyone for help as nearly everyone you come across will be wiling to help.
do you know if you’ll only be working out of Langley and if it’s only earlies you’ll be doing?

well done :slight_smile:

Thanks dave :laughing:

Glad you had a good first day, pretty shocked there was no induction ect. Glad you made it back in one piece and killed no one, One day down many more good to come!

m1cks:
I’m guessing by Central London you were sent to the Mount and you’re talking about going under Hanger Lane underpass with the height limit.
Glad it all worked out ok for you. Although you feel you weren’t shown everything don’t be afraid to ask anyone for help as nearly everyone you come across will be wiling to help.
do you know if you’ll only be working out of Langley and if it’s only earlies you’ll be doing?

mainly out of Langley m1cks, variety of shifts, why are you going to set me up for a hard time :wink:

yes you got it, it was ‘the mount’ (actually all staff were really friendly and very welcoming/helpful, they made me feel at home :slight_smile: ) and yes it was the Hanger Lane Underpass (though I did not know what it was called this morning so thanks :laughing: )

and yes, I was not shy to ask for help and did about 5 times in total to different ‘passers by’ in the yard at Langley and they were all happy to help, a nice crowd I felt ‘at home’ and looked after.

I guess the ‘induction’ I was supposed to have had is the few things the assessor told me on my assessment day, but it was merely a few things, quite rushed and it’s nothing like being shown/told as you are doing it of course. I don’t feel I was told near enough as much I needed to know…but yes, I am learning well as I go along by asking asking asking :smiley:

Priest:
well done :slight_smile:

thank you Priest :slight_smile:

ash 001:
Thanks dave :laughing:

Glad you had a good first day, pretty shocked there was no induction ect. Glad you made it back in one piece and killed no one, One day down many more good to come!

You’re welcome Lindsay :laughing:

Friday I am doing the same duty so I should do a lot better this time, I will make you proud :wink: :grimacing:

Good stuff Dave. Were you driving a CF with the seat set to its lowest height? And did you have a well washed cap on?

These seem to be the usual traits of your typical RM driver.

I hope so, make me jealous as I am not putting my class 1 licence to good use at the moment :confused: How long until they give you a pay rise is it just before xmas?

eagerbeaver:
Good stuff Dave. Were you driving a CF with the seat set to its lowest height? And did you have a well washed cap on?

These seem to be the usual traits of your typical RM driver.

mwahahahahah :laughing:

I think I ‘fail’ on the seat bit, it was almost at highest :smiley:

my hi-vis was brand spanking new but now it’s got grease stains all over so I feel more ‘at ease’ :wink: :grimacing:

ash 001:
I hope so, make me jealous as I am not putting my class 1 licence to good use at the moment :confused: How long until they give you a pay rise is it just before xmas?

pay rise in november ash, so well in time :slight_smile:

c’mon, start using that C+E :wink:

What have I missed Dave? :open_mouth:
Well done Dave, glad you enjoyed it Dave, hope it goes well on your next shift Dave.
Do you think this name is going to stick Dave? :smiley:

But seriously, Well done for braving it into central London on your first shift, as I think I would be meowing like a little kitten and begging to be sent someone else. And I know it’s different for you as you’ve previously driven Artics, but I’m finding day by day i become more familiar with my truck (Sorry, VAN!!!) P.S. I bloody hate the rear steer, as I’m paranoid I’m going to wipe something out with the overhang swing! :cry:
But that will pass I’m sure as I get more used to it…

best of luck and glad the people are friendly! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
What have I missed Dave? :open_mouth:
Well done Dave, glad you enjoyed it Dave, hope it goes well on your next shift Dave.
Do you think this name is going to stick Dave? :smiley:

But seriously, Well done for braving it into central London on your first shift, as I think I would be meowing like a little kitten and begging to be sent someone else. And I know it’s different for you as you’ve previously driven Artics, but I’m finding day by day i become more familiar with my truck (Sorry, VAN!!!) P.S. I bloody hate the rear steer, as I’m paranoid I’m going to wipe something out with the overhang swing! :cry:
But that will pass I’m sure as I get more used to it…

best of luck and glad the people are friendly! :smiley:

thanks Evil :slight_smile:

I have driven artics before, but never in a busy town centre!! :open_mouth:
mind you…was not ‘that’ busy as I was 7am rather than 8 or 9

I have never used a rear-steer axle vehicle/trailer :open_mouth:

cheers, ‘over and out from Dave’ :laughing: