My first "real" day (well, night actually)

My first job was just over a week ago driving a kerbside bin wagon for a shift, was OK, but all day to do less than 10 miles isn’t why I spent all that cash on my licence :cry:

Last night I got to do a shift with the Royal Mail, a very long night (couldn’t believe how quiet the M4 is at 2am!) but loved every minute of it.

Had an 18t DAF LF with a conventional 6 speed box for the night. First leg was a run from Swindon to Banbury. Needed to ask a driver in the next bay how to back onto the bay/use tail lift (the tail lift slid under the bay as the loading bay was at wagon floor height)

Anyway, nice easy run to Banbury, bit of ■■■■ taking by a couple of the guys there (I was sooooo obviously a newbie!), all light hearted though. Run back to Swindon, but rush hour congestion on M40 J9 set me behind schedule a bit.

Next up, run empty to depot at Stonebridge, London with scheduled stop at Reading services for my 45min break. This was where I had a bit of a ■■■■-up! the digitacho started flashing that I was due my break about 10 mins before I made the services, as I was on the M4 with nowhere to stop (just passed the previous junction) I kept on until I reached the services then had my break! Not sure what the consequences are/will be for that!!!

So nervously entered London around 10ish, but actually found it a breeze getting to the depot.

Now, fith a fully loaded truck, it’s off to Newport. (Thank God for Cruise Control!! :slight_smile: )

Tipped at Newport, second break taken and a quiet run back to Swindon, re-fuelled and shift over at 4:45 this morning YAAAAAWN

Back in next Saturday for a 5:17am start…BRING IT ON!!! :slight_smile:

Nezza:
Next up, run empty to depot at Stonebridge, London with scheduled stop at Reading services for my 45min break. This was where I had a bit of a ■■■■-up! the digitacho started flashing that I was due my break about 10 mins before I made the services, as I was on the M4 with nowhere to stop (just passed the previous junction) I kept on until I reached the services then had my break! Not sure what the consequences are/will be for that!!!

Glad you enojoyed your night i prefer night driving too !!!

ref tacho flashing if was only alerting you for 10 mins you should be ok as warns you with 15 mins of driving time left so you should have had 5 mins to spare

we live and learn and believe me when first started was always worried about driving time!!

Good luck and have fun

Jennie x

Cheers Jennie. I totalled the time from my printout when I got up and, as you say, I had about 5 mins left.

Lots to learn, but will deff get there :slight_smile:

you mean Royal Mail had you doing some work at night?

we usually sit and watch tv most of the night lol

Well im off to darlaston tonight so if u see me on the m40 or a34 give us a wave in a dbc truck have a good trip yaself
Jennie x