Royal Mail agency work

Hi all, new out the box driver here.

Just signed up with Manpower and wanted some experience and driving time so though the Royal Mail work offered would be very helpful.

My only concern is the fact that I’ve had 5 days of driving with a test and manpower phoned me up yesterday and have me a 12 hour shift. Now I’m happy with shift hours however they didn’t give me much information. They just said ‘turn up at 8.20 and finish
At 20.45, duty 104 and send your paperwork back to us on completion’. I did ask a few questions but they couldn’t answer them!!

Anyone had previous first jobs like this that can help shed some much needed light on it??

Thanks

RM go in tell em your new to this job ie RM, they’ll sort you out. It’ll be pick up trailer run to so and so prob drop trailer have your break , pick up trailer take to wherever pos another depot or back to where you started, drop trailer fuel and naff off home paper work is prob your time sheet. crack on just chill out you’ll be fine

Cheers, it’s only a 7.5t lorry so guess it’ll be ok.

Would I be expected to know all about the tachograph side of things or will I get showed? I’ve done some looking online but hard if you can’t see it in the flesh.

I’m pretty chilled, just don’t want to make an arse of myself.

Marty82:
Cheers, it’s only a 7.5t lorry so guess it’ll be ok.

Would I be expected to know all about the tachograph side of things or will I get showed? I’ve done some looking online but hard if you can’t see it in the flesh.

I’m pretty chilled, just don’t want to make an arse of myself.

yeah you’ll be expected but just say you aint had to use em before ( your not lying just stretching the truth a bit ) :grimacing: theres a simulator you can down load to play with somewhere, try this

fomento.gob.es/transportes/s … _adsl.html

Here’s the instructions for my Tachograph Unit, it’s a VDO/Continental.
dtco.co.uk/generator/www/uk/ … me_en.html

Here’s a you tube video on the older unit.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_K0HEA029 … _K0HEA029Q

Thanks guys. I’ll have a look

You’l be fine :smiley:

i applied to 3 different agencies that were ( desperately ) looking for class1 drivers to do Royal Mail trunking and even though i have over 14 years experience they all said no because i hadnt driven in the last 2 years :open_mouth: ( due to insurance blah blah )

im now working for someone else !!..their loss :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s bizzare because all I’ve had is 5 days of lessons and that was shared with another trainee!!

Will i look like a knob if I go in beforehand just to chat with someone?

7.5 ton rm work is a piece of ■■■■. pick up some yorks take them to a sorting office and back to the depot.

When you say sorting office and depot, do you mean anywhere in the country or just within a particular city?

Duty 104 was given if that has any relevance?

Duty 104 will be a set run everything will be mapped out for you times to get there times to leave ect all will be like clockwork don’t worry just ask if there is anything you are worried about anyone who thinks your a prick is looking in the mirror

Thanks and reassuring to hear.

Tooz:
You’l be fine :smiley:

i applied to 3 different agencies that were ( desperately ) looking for class1 drivers to do Royal Mail trunking and even though i have over 14 years experience they all said no because i hadnt driven in the last 2 years :open_mouth: ( due to insurance blah blah )

im now working for someone else !!..their loss :stuck_out_tongue:

That not having driven for 2 years ( due to insurance ) is a right load of bowlocks.I had this a few weeks back.What’s it all about ?
As you say - their loss :smiley:

As said, RM work is piece of mate. Just relax and all should go fine.

Interesting read; this time last year I applied through Manpower for Class 1 RM agency work, stating that I have nil experience, and they were lining up an assessment drive. Before that even happened, the agent left, and the one who took over said no chance, they’ll eat me alive, might possibly start you off on 7.5t.

Never took it any further (have a full time job I’m not about to give up), but I guess jumping straight to class 1 might have been too ambitious.

Marty82:
When you say sorting office and depot, do you mean anywhere in the country or just within a particular city?

Duty 104 was given if that has any relevance?

Probably would be in a certain area tbh, its all easy enough work, sunday nightshifts are good aswell, i did a 12 hour shift which consisted of an hour and 10 mins of work at the end of my shift with the rest of the shift spent sleeping and watching tv.

lol