Moving to London - advice needed!

I’m planning on moving to London from Scotland at the beginning of 2012, and am looking for a bit of advice on the job market in London and surrounding areas. I have been driving for many years (HGV Class 1) and have managerial experience, and am currently researching the job market down there - which is proving a task!

Does anyone have any similar experiences of making the move to London, who can offer any advice on job-hunting, good websites/job papers to consult, reputable companies, areas, etc?

Thanks

Q. What’s the difference between a Scotsman and piles?

A. You can get piles to go back up. :wink:

Only joking, only joking, yes in theory it’s a good idea although you might want to broaden your search area into west Essex and north-west Kent as a lot of operators run out of those areas due to slightly lower land prices.

You don’t say why your moving to London? Because it ain’t like the old days pre credit crunch. Back then, 2004 & 5 i was clearing a grand + a week working as agency driver mainly for sainsbury at waltham abbey. They was the good times but since then rates have been well slashed, last i heard agency bods were lucky to get a 9hrs out of a shift.

You may have more job choice and variety down there still but i guess agency bods will be earning very similar takehome to up here in scotchland. Paying much more in rent though. Are you sure you want to move to London, if i was moving for work i would be heading for Northamton or maybe just off the M25 such as Hatfield or Dartford.

My advice is don’t! :wink:

bigvern1:
My advice is don’t! :wink:

A definite no-no.

Don’t bother, it’s a horrible place to live & work, that’s coming from 5 years of experience there, the best thing I done was leave London , ( and the misus) …

Rent boy at Kings Cross or Clapham Common

My advice is, if you have a choice in moving to London or not, then I would say don’t bother. I was born n bred in London, it’s a ■■■■ hole now, a very expensive ■■■■ hole at that. You will find if your renting where you are now, your rent will triple at least, council tax will go up near double. You won’t earn treble what you are now. I moved away for a better life for the family 2 years ago and yes I earn less money but have a better way of life.

If you must move down to London, heathrow is a good place for work, well it was a couple of years ago. Air freight is clean easy work, as long as you can handle sitting around for hours waiting to get your load. You could try saints transport, ceva, goldstar, tas transport, dhl, TNT.

Goodluck in whatever you choose

My advice too is DONT

Move to the A1 / M62 / M1 area around Leeds if you want more work, You have a wide selection of companies operating in that area, that is one of the main reasons that I am moving back up north.

:imp:

PinkLadyTrucker:
My advice too is DONT

Move to the A1 / M62 / M1 area around Leeds if you want more work, You have a wide selection of companies operating in that area, that is one of the main reasons that I am moving back up north.

I made the same move to Yorkshire and ain’t looked back, if only they talked proper up here it would be better init :laughing:

London is the most amazing city on earth if you approach it with the right attitude. As for the suggestion you move to Leeds instead, well I’m not sure that even deserves a response! :wink:

What…Move to Yorkshire, and have the great man as a near neighbour? :unamused: :open_mouth:

My other half tried to convince me a move to Doncaster was a good idea :open_mouth: I thought about it for 5 seconds

and dismissed it , although a house in yorkshire can be had for half a years wage I just detest the parts of

yorkshire I could afford to live with a passion . Plus the wages are still in the late seventies.

London would be best better , better wages , although rent will be dear , I lived in Bethnal Green for 6 years and it

was all good, work aplenty and good pay although not sure what is like now.

Don’t lie…You’d move up North tomorrow! :laughing:

bigvern1:
Don’t lie…You’d move up North tomorrow! :laughing:

No I wouldnt , unless I could afford to live somewhere like Malton or Whitby then I would move but the rest is IMHO

■■■■■ :sunglasses:

I was at RAF Leconfield Fri night. Looked OK in the dark! Delivered a new Sea King engine to them.
Didn’t see any speed camera vans/ ice cream vans anywhere. :wink:

I am from London but live in Peterborough. My advice is, move some where on the outside of London. living will be cheaper and less hassle.

Thought about Croydon?

Switchlogic is spot on, London is wonderful but the streets are not paved with gold. There is work down here, tends to be more C than C+E due to tippers, skips etc and loads of van and 7.5T. Don’t knock it, I went from running all over the UK and Europe to managing 20 multidrop vans and drivers. I’m out doing multi most days and like it, very fast paced and exciting. The haulage firms are based in Essex and Kent as someone had already said. Don’t forget there’s Tilbury, Dartford and Purfleet docks down here and Felixstowe is only a short hop up the A12.

baby seal:
Switchlogic is spot on, London is wonderful but the streets are not paved with gold. There is work down here, tends to be more C than C+E due to tippers, skips etc and loads of van and 7.5T. Don’t knock it, I went from running all over the UK and Europe to managing 20 multidrop vans and drivers. I’m out doing multi most days and like it, very fast paced and exciting. The haulage firms are based in Essex and Kent as someone had already said. Don’t forget there’s Tilbury, Dartford and Purfleet docks down here and Felixstowe is only a short hop up the A12.

london was wonderful 20-25 years ago, not no more it aint. the london i grew up in has long gone. alot of it is full of the dregs of the rest of the world who have come here to ponce of this country. i wanted to bring my kids up where i was brought up, but not a chance would i be happy bringing them up in a place i loved and am gutted to see what its like now

There is nowhere else like London!! It’s like a separate country!! Not an ideal place to raise a family granted!! But if your single! Wahay!! :laughing: :sunglasses:

A lot of White people have “runaway” from London! But there are loads of fantastic people from all over the world here!! It’s truly a Global City!! :smiley:

You would probably be wise and live just outside in Essex Herts Kent etc! Everywhere inside the M25 is very very expensive!! :wink:
There is no shortage of things to see and do! And you shouldn’t have much problem finding work!! :slight_smile: