Working your way North

My first “New Topic”…

Hello folks!
I’m an Edinburgh based driver. Sadly I drive for a removal firm :frowning: Sad, but true. As you can all appreciate, I’m sure, I am quite desperate to get out of there and get myself a real driving job, which doesn’t involve doing my pan in day after day moving other peoples furniture, and in a bendy wagon rather than the rigids I’ve been driving for the past 5 years.

Howerver, despite media depictions of a shortage of drivers, there doesn’t seem to be many jobs going begging this side of the border. I’ve tried all the usual avenues; word of mouth, dragging my ■■■■ round the local yards and speaking to bosses, phoning round every haulage firm I know of and local press. Nowt. Plus the offers of £16,000+ a year I see advertised in the English press, Truckstop News etc is 4 grand a year more than the few jobs I’ve seen advertised up here!!

What the pineapple is going on?

People up there tell me that wages are lower because things are cheaper up there.

Sure, housing costs are lower, but is food that much cheaper? Or a new car? I’d doubt it myself.

Hi

Have to disagree with you on this one, there are hundreds. Might not pay too good some of them but they are out there. Try the following;

jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Page=/Home

I tried an EH1 postcode and there were next to none. Try an EH47 postcode and a distance of 10 miles, loads.
West Lothian is where most of the larger transport companies are located
so depending on where in Edinburgh you stay it could be a little travelling or a lot of travelling.

BFG are advertising in this weeks Courier for store deliveries to Iceland(the food stores not the country).

Dean