potential new driver

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice. I’m looking at doing a career change at the moment. Currently I’m a railway engineer working on the crossrail project in London but the project I’m on is winding up after xmas and I will be relocating back to Scotland. However as I don’t possess enough railway tickets or specific disciplines I’m a basic track worker and the rate is poor and there isn’t anywork in Scotland for my work related discipline. So im considering driving trucks. I would love to do international work as I previously worked for a well known Scottish coach company doing UK and European tours and really enjoyed it. I have always loved driving whether it be small or big distances so travel/mileage aint a problem. I enjoy my own company etc. However as the cost of living in London is MAHOOSIVE I struggle with money and trying to save the dough for a hgv class1 is proving really difficult. Does anyone know of any company who would be willing to train or currently train drivers for C+E licences with a contract of employment for a minimum of say 1-2 years to “buy-back” the time money etc for the acquisition of the licence. I know a lot of bus companies do this as I was one of them 10 years ago and my minimum term to cover the licence was 18 months. Any advice on this would be fantastic as well as any general advice on the job itself. :smiley:

re-read post, I may have been a little hasty, that’s the problem when trolls are abundant you tend to view everyone overly suspiciously…

Reef:

re-read post, I may have been a little hasty, that’s the problem when trolls are abundant you tend to view everyone overly suspiciously…

Yeah I think your initial post was a bit harsh mate… :laughing:
This guy can spell, so not Glory Boy/Bellend…

To the OP, you MIGHT find someone who will train you up, but the reason they will do so is probably because they are a crap firm who can’t get drivers for one reason or another…

Do you have c1 on your licence mate? If so, maybe get your cpc and tacho and look to take up work as a 7.5t driver with a firm that uses trucks of all classes - perhaps prove yourself as reliable, a good worker etc. then there might be a chance a little later for the firm to train you up.

I will certainly have a look about and make some enquiries as this is something I did consider doing a few years back but never really got round to it. I just though I would try find a forum that could offer good advice about the licence acquisition and the job itself from a drivers point of view. you see a lot of programmes on tv like eddie Stobart and as much as it looks a giggle on tv etc its not the real deal. I’m certainly not dissing Eddie Stobart as i believe a job regardless of where or who you work for is how you make it and if you know the job and its potential problems beforehand then you work round them and try your best. I believe the real way to learn about the job is to do it or talk to drivers who actually do the job. TV portrays a life of a truck driver in a way that they want people to see it. whereas listening learning and getting invaluable advice from people who do the job day in/day out, ive always found is the best way. I worked as a coach driver on uk and European tours for years and the way I learned was to do the job and listen to experiences and advice and that’s how I learn.

I understand too there are a few trolls on this forum looking to stir things up. I’m certainly not one of them. I’m just looking at a career change and having considered this choice of work for a while I thought I would make some general enquiries and gain some advice. Hope that’s not offensive or what everyone will want to hear or believe.

andy_s:
Do you have c1 on your licence mate? If so, maybe get your cpc and tacho and look to take up work as a 7.5t driver with a firm that uses trucks of all classes - perhaps prove yourself as reliable, a good worker etc. then there might be a chance a little later for the firm to train you up.

unfortunately no as I got my car licence in 2003. I still have my driver CPC and D/D1

An alternative route is to find the finance to train independently; that way you’re a free agent and not beholden to an employer. The downside is obvious - you have to pay the loan.

Some trainers, including us, offer finance. Beware of the apparent “trainers” who offer finance but are actually training brokers. The instant giveaway is their claims to have 30 or 40 centres around the country. There is no genuine trainer in the UK in that position. If in doubt, mention a name on here and you’re assured a quick response.

The cheapest finance will always be an interest free credit card or a family member who may be prepared to help out.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
An alternative route is to find the finance to train independently; that way you’re a free agent and not beholden to an employer. The downside is obvious - you have to pay the loan.

Some trainers, including us, offer finance. Beware of the apparent “trainers” who offer finance but are actually training brokers. The instant giveaway is their claims to have 30 or 40 centres around the country. There is no genuine trainer in the UK in that position. If in doubt, mention a name on here and you’re assured a quick response.

The cheapest finance will always be an interest free credit card or a family member who may be prepared to help out.

thanks for that pete. potential problem for me is that I went bankrupt 4 years ago and have just come out of it 6 moths ago. still trying to build my credit rating back up again. That’s what happens when you get divorced I suppose. lol. I could get a loan but need a guarentoor. not sure of the spelling of that word but you get the drift. and I’m on my own at the moment so its a bit of a struggle. Have looked at Wallace driving school in London as their base is only 15 mins drive away in park royal.

I know this is a truck forum, could you not get some Class D work as you have that, that would get you back into driving big boxes and make the class C easier? Also as you have D I assume you won’t need a medical? Do you have prov C?

thanks for that pete. potential problem for me is that I went bankrupt 4 years ago and have just come out of it 6 moths ago. still trying to build my credit rating back up again. That’s what happens when you get divorced I suppose. lol. I could get a loan but need a guarentoor. not sure of the spelling of that word but you get the drift. and I’m on my own at the moment so its a bit of a struggle. Have looked at Wallace driving school in London as their base is only 15 mins drive away in park royal.

Perfectly legal and acceptable to the financial authorities for someone to take the loan in their name. Maybe a friend or family member with a sound credit record.

If you don’t want to travel to us, then Wallace is a good choice. They are one of the very few DVSA Accredited LGV Training Centres in the UK. This is the list:

dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php