MOT Fun (carried on from pics of lorries you OWN)

Goaty:

Driveroneuk:
What happened at test time Goaty?

It’s in for test tomorrow PM. I had a week’s holiday (last week available before the kids go back) and the Volvo was supposed to be Mot’d while I was away. Came back to be told “we’re gonna get it in next week for you.” :open_mouth:
“[zb] forget it you [zb] I’ll sort it myself!”
I got lucky with a cancellation at Ipswich (tomorrow PM). So I’ve managed 1 1/2 days work in the last fortnight! :imp:
Suffice it to say I now have somebody else doing my maintainance.

Sound like maybe you’re getting 2 entirely separate blind spots & their respective mirror requirements law mixed up.
The “satelite dish” mirror is to see the spot directly infront. The idea’s good, but they’re rarely adjusted correctly & usually so dirty you can’t see anything anyway.
This has come about because there have been a lot of accidents where drivers have set off not knowing someone was stood/walking directly infront of the truck.
Also see the infamous Arclid tanker/Renault Clio video.

Not I governor! I was also sceptical about the “satelite mirror” revelation. I’ll double check with the bod’s at the test station tomorrow. I’ve managed to muddle along nicely for the last 14 years without one, so I’ll take the ugly [zb] thing off if it isn’t required by law.

The n/s mirror law followed it sometime later & refers to the bs at the the unit nearside - the one the fresnel lens looks at.

This is the one that DID require a retro-fitted item to comply, apparently! :wink:

Got to go out shortly, basically it failed on broken headlamp aim adjuster. :imp: :imp:
A new item is being fitted as we speak. :neutral_face:
Got to ring for a retest in the morning. :confused:

Happy ■■■■■■■ days… :arrow_right:

Only 1 headlamp adjuster? Well that’s good, but ofcourse also annoying that as there was only that they wouldn’t let it go on an advisor.

Headlamp aim is one of the highest scoring failure items, though with some reduction recently due to the introduction of a new style beam tester. (the old ones didn’t like the spread of light given by modern day clear lenses).

Do we assume you had left the satelite dish on for the test?

Quick update.

It passed.Volvo wanted £500 plus the vat for a h/lamp.! :open_mouth:
HB’s in Fxt did it for £218. Not much of a bloody mark up then!!! :unamused: :imp:

Retested on the 7th. Passed. Thank ■■■■ for that.
Total of 2 weeks down time. The guilty know who they are. ■■■■■. :imp:

Driveroneuk:
Do we assume you had left the satelite dish on for the test?

I did D1UK, too much else happening at that point and tbh I’d completely forgotten about it. :blush: