Mirror Directive 2007/38/EC

Morning all,

I might be the only numpty in the country who didn’t realise my truck came into scope on this one but …

I was in F&G Huddersfield for the 6 yearly tacho. session, when the talk got round to mirror regs. being implemented at the end of March this year.

I t turns out that the fact that you have mirrors fitted on the nearside isn’t enough, the wide angle lens now has to have a convex surface angle of 300 degrees rather than the 400 degrees previously allowable.
The dealers have plastic templates with both shaped cut outs for you to check and sod me, mine were wrong.
This is a test failure from 31st March and I’m usually not the ‘head in the sand’ type but I was nearly legged up there.
Anyway, DAF wide angle glass slides out, new one slides in.

£45 worse off again but another opportunity for VOSA to get my trousers down for some punishment removed.

As I said, you probably all know this already, but if one person can avoid aggro. it was worth the posting.

cheers chaps! :neutral_face:

yeah its a joke

john

madders:
Morning all,

I might be the only numpty in the country who didn’t realise my truck came into scope on this one but …

I was in F&G Huddersfield for the 6 yearly tacho. session, when the talk got round to mirror regs. being implemented at the end of March this year.

I t turns out that the fact that you have mirrors fitted on the nearside isn’t enough, the wide angle lens now has to have a convex surface angle of 300 degrees rather than the 400 degrees previously allowable.
The dealers have plastic templates with both shaped cut outs for you to check and sod me, mine were wrong.
This is a test failure from 31st March and I’m usually not the ‘head in the sand’ type but I was nearly legged up there.
Anyway, DAF wide angle glass slides out, new one slides in.

£45 worse off again but another opportunity for VOSA to get my trousers down for some punishment removed.

As I said, you probably all know this already, but if one person can avoid aggro. it was worth the posting.

cheers chaps! :neutral_face:

I got a cheapo one off H & S Atec £30.00 for a complete mirror. Can I put the old one on the drivers side, or is it one of those cases of 'if it’s fitted it’s got to be the widw angle spec?

spoke to a VOSA tech. this morning and asked the same question ref. drivers side and yes you can fit whatever you want as it’s not in scope. :smiley:

madders:
spoke to a VOSA tech. this morning and asked the same question ref. drivers side and yes you can fit whatever you want as it’s not in scope. :smiley:

Shock horror :open_mouth:
Have had the new mirror for over a month, I suppose I’ll have to motivate myself now, and get if fitted :smiley:

It’s nearly spring…get motivated!!! I’ve even had the cab over today and fitted a new night heater exhaust!!! now that’s attention to detail which flies in the face of recession!!!

Used up this months motivation now tho’! :smiley:

madders:
It’s nearly spring…get motivated!!! I’ve even had the cab over today and fitted a new night heater exhaust!!! now that’s attention to detail which flies in the face of recession!!!

Used up this months motivation now tho’! :smiley:

Winter’s over now man, you should be getting your aircon gassed up, or is your’s the same as mine, a winda winder? :laughing:

no she’s there and ready for blowing up the trouser leg… mmmm frozen balls season soon! :smiley:

madders:
no she’s there and ready for blowing up the trouser leg… mmmm frozen balls season soon! :smiley:

Biggest regret, when I bought my CF was not going for the Air con, I was told by the rep not to bother. It was only when I took delivery I found out it also didn’t have electric mirrors, electric sunroof, or even an electric drivers window :imp:
I was well p’d off

should have bought a steyr!!! you don’t need air con cos’ the roof would blow off above 40 mph…

I motivared myself today…

What a bassa, bloody steel studs into cheap alloy casings grrrrrrr :imp: Bang goes the swapping the mirror idea, 2 snapped accidentally, then I got the bolt croppers out :wink:
Job jobbed now like

renaultman:
Biggest regret, when I bought my CF was not going for the Air con, I was told by the rep not to bother. It was only when I took delivery I found out it also didn’t have electric mirrors, electric sunroof, or even an electric drivers window :imp:
I was well p’d off

He saw you coming mate. What reason did he give, not to bother ?

DAFMAD:

renaultman:
I was well p’d off

He saw you coming mate. What reason did he give, not to bother ?

Save me money, less than 400 quid, on a 50 odd grand motor :unamused:

I’d like to say you live and learn, but I’m not sure. :laughing: :laughing:

Coulda been worse like I could have bought the FM 380 globie 9 speed that the Volvo rep tried to sell me at the time. I wanted a price for an FH 420 14 speed, but what did I know, I was only the customer :laughing:

so if my tests on the 23rd march i wont need this new mirror till next year?

correct sir. :smiley:

that,ll do for me :smiley:

chaversdad:
so if my tests on the 23rd march i wont need this new mirror till next year?

so if my tests in September and I plan to change before then I won’t need one either :laughing:

I havv VOSA publication : HGV/POLICY/1805/11.08 leaflet here and I quote._
" VOSA WILL NOT BE CARRYING OUT SPECIFIC FIELD OF VIEW CHECKS AT ANNUAL TEST OR AT THE ROADSIDE CHECK SITES, HOWEVER IT IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE DIRECTIVE AND N0N-COMPLIANCE WILL CONSTITUTE AN OFFENCE"

Basically, I suspect this means that , if they can be bothered to make a fuss, they will expect you to have the correct mirror equipment but also to have your completed self-declaration certificate for the vehicle, if not you will likely as not be tested there and then and THEN you will be done for non-compliance… essentially, the message from VOSA seems to me to be, fit new mirrors and check your field of view meets the reqs. and get someone worthy to sign off your self-cert. THE END.

DAF advised me that the kerb mirror on their vehicles at least, doesn’t need changing as the height of fitment provides enough field of view apart from some 7.5 tonners etc…consult your main dealer for the low-down on your vehicle… DAF gave me a plastic template to test the convex surface of the glass, then there is no ‘grey area’.

good hunting. :smiley:

Hello all, As well as the mirror i take it you need a letter of conformity, if i fit the mirror myself where do i get the letter from and who is authorised to sign it of, can you do this yourself on letter headed paper, hope some one can clarify this… thanks…

LRM:
Hello all, As well as the mirror i take it you need a letter of conformity, if i fit the mirror myself where do i get the letter from and who is authorised to sign it of, can you do this yourself on letter headed paper, hope some one can clarify this… thanks…

it’s a self declaration form so you sign it yourself :wink:

you can download a copy here

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/r … 49a62fe628