MOT Test

Just had my wagon in for it’s MOT test, things are getting daft.

According to the Ministry, next year the crash rails on the side will have to be extended by approx 12" to run the full length of the vehicle. At present there is about a 6" gap at either end. Dunno how the tipper boys etc will fare with this.

Not exactly going to get much through that gap.

And apparently triangles are out on rear light clusters, and these have got to go.

Although they are pitiful and it’ll be much better with new ones on.

It also made me laugh that the rear view camera monitor had been removed from it’s dash top view. I know that it’s in the field of vision, but removing has removed a huge area of rearward visibility. Not that I use it much, but it is handy being able to see directly behind.

Still I got 4 new tyres out of it, so all is not lost.

Triangles out? Hmm, Argos have got half-a-dozen or so brand-new “Megadeckers” with triangles in the light units. As an aside, we hate them, as do the drivers - and someone’s already pierced the roof of one, within about a fortnight of getting them…

Got some info today on this.

Triangles are OK for trailers, but not rigids / units :unamused:

The leading edge of the bulkhead (ie the corner above the crash bar) is what needs fairing in.

I’ve had the same thing with the sidebars on mine - things that passed last year didn’t this time :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

shouldn’t affect tippers though - they don’t need sidebars :wink:

had an FTA inspection on my truck.

According to the inspector trailer side bars now have to have 3 links, not just two as well :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

ralliesport:
had an FTA inspection on my truck.

According to the inspector trailer side bars now have to have 3 links, not just two as well :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Thats a new one on me, We MOT 20- 30 trucks a month and have never heard of that one?

Triangles are for trailer use but cant see a truck failing for having them on as long as you have the mandatory reflectors on,

as 8wheels has said about the side rails, I can’t see the leading edge of the bulkhead needing a fairing on as what happens when you have a curtainsider ratchet there? unless it is specific to your truck as you have one wide side rail rather than two thinner rails?

Reversing camera screens should be OK on the dash as they are a vehicle safety aid, it would be different if it was a TV screen, its like stickers on the windscreen, if it blocks the drivers vision then it comes out but if there stick is about the operation of the vehicle like “always start in 1st gear” or “depress the clutch before engaging the PTO” they are allowed ■■?

Work that one out!

MOT testers try it on from time to time, best way is not to except a fail and get them to show you in the book where it mentions your problem and why it is a fail and get a second opinion before leaving.