Microwaves for Trucks

Hi all I intend to buy a 1000w inverter from Maplins (£79.99) and a 700/800w microwave (£25)and run it straight from a 12v socket.
Can anybody see any problems with this? I will run the engine when the microwave is on.
Thanks for the replies.

Deepinvet:
Hi all I intend to buy a 1000w inverter from Maplins (£79.99) and a 700/800w microwave (£25)and run it straight from a 12v socket.
Can anybody see any problems with this? I will run the engine when the microwave is on.
Thanks for the replies.

You do know the 12v socket runs from a dropper, right? And that can only draw about 300w max…
It’ll fry it.

Get a 24v inverter, then you have a hope.

I could run it from th24v socket would that be ok■■?

Deepinvet:
I could run it from th24v socket would that be ok■■?

probably still fry it - better to wire it straight to the batteries

why not get a 24v inverter and get a fitter towire it direct?

Thanks for the replies I might just ask Volvo to fit one as it’s a new Truck and I think the Boss wouldn’t be too happy if I fried it!!!
SMc

Or buy a 12v microwave!!

Friend of mine used to run a microwave in an FH when he worked for Stobbarts International.

I’ll ask him how he did it,and get back to you.

Ken.

I was told by roadpro you need to double the wattage of your microwave to run it from an inverter i.e :- an 800watt micro will need a 1600 watt inverter.

Maplins dont do truck inverters ask them their advice ■■

Your idea of asking Volvo wont be cheap but will be the safest

instead of messing about with dropper just get it wired in properly and save buy a new dropper every year

Right Deepinvet, I Am an expert in this dept… Believe me i know all about Inverters and Microwaves… I bought a 1500 watt inverter to run a 700 watt microwave and it was not a good match, The microwave kept on stopping and starting ‘not good’ Mine was a 24 volt inverter. What i done in the end was sold it on ebay and bought a 24 volt 2000 watt one and got myself a 500 watt microwave and it works perfect. i also run a toaster and a coffee maker from this inverter as it has 2 sockets on. I got a qualified electrician to wire the inverter to the main fuse box, cost 50 quid… well worth it. If your not sure where to get a 2000 watt 24 volt they are 150 quid + 10 for the postage, my microwave was £50. i could of bought a 24volt microwave which are around £260 BUT Samsung have stopped making them now and i think the only place with some left now is Kuda near Ipswich, but i can run all sorts of the inverter, Hoovers, kettle ect with no problems… Let me know if you need any numbers or any more advice… Cheers and good luck

Regards Kev :slight_smile:

http://www.in21now.co.uk/acatalog/wavebox.html

Saw this on the net…any thoughts on this, price seems ok but would it work ok■■? [/url]

Hi Deepinvet, Not sure about these gadgits never heard of them BUT I would still get something 24 volt really if its for a truck. As someone else said 12 volt sockets aint really man enough for this sort of power.

Regards Kev