Microwave Help needed please

Hi all,

:question: I would appreciate some help with my dilemma regarding a microwave for my Premium.

Do I buy a 240 volt and an inverter if so how would I make sure I got the right inverter or go for a 24volt and hope Renault do a fitting kit?
I’m hoping to mount(ooooh er missus) the microwave on tv shelf above passenger seat.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Rob :sunglasses:

To run a 240v microwave you will need a big inverter, 2-3000 watts. There will be a plate or sticker on the back of the microwave showing it’s power consumption and you will need an inverter which provides that much power and then some. An inverter of that size will need wiring directly to the batteries, it won’t work through the lighter socket, :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: and won’t be too kind to the batteries. So either 240v or 24v will require wiring and the 24v will be better for the batteries I think. I’ve had a couple of 24v microwaves fitted in trucks and they worked well and I’ve used them for well over an hour in total without starting the engine and the truck still started first time.

i have a 24v micro wave that i power from the cowbell connectors behind the cab, that saves me £300 i was quoted to get it directly wired in.

i’ve bought a 1000w inverter off e-bay,the guy (a lorry driver) selling it assured me it would be fine to fit and run a domestic microwave (as he does),i’m having it fitted by proper auto-electrician when i get round to it.i’m assuming i can run a 600-800watt domectic m’wave without fear of blowing owt up?andy.

V8Actros:
i’ve bought a 1000w inverter off e-bay,the guy (a lorry driver) selling it assured me it would be fine to fit and run a domestic microwave (as he does),i’m having it fitted by proper auto-electrician when i get round to it.i’m assuming i can run a 600-800watt domectic m’wave without fear of blowing owt up?andy.

Check the plate on the back of the microwave you intend to run, the 800 watt microwave in my kitchen has an input of 1400 watts.

cheer’s coffee,i’ve also been advised to look at buying a “low voltage” one,from a camping/caravanning store type thing,going to have a gander round e-bay this weekend,i didn’t realise these things existed.

V8Actros:
cheer’s coffee,i’ve also been advised to look at buying a “low voltage”

Remember volts and watts aren’t the same thing.

V8Actros:
cheer’s coffee,i’ve also been advised to look at buying a “low voltage” one,from a camping/caravanning store type thing,going to have a gander round e-bay this weekend,i didn’t realise these things existed.

Waudbys Caravan accessories do one here
No idea what voltage it requires though as it’s not stated, but it does show you what the input
wattage is vs cooking power.

Colingl:

V8Actros:

Waudbys Caravan accessories do one here
No idea what voltage it requires though as it’s not stated, but it does show you what the input
wattage is vs cooking power.

I think that is the sort of thing he has been advised to get. Low voltage would be 12 or 24 as opposed to 240v surely?

Renault SW fitted one of these to mine - they did have to run some heavy cable to the battery though :wink:

just found this on ebay…

cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Wavebox-Porta … 286.c0.m14

i would like to thoughts on this.

I’ve just fitted a 24 volt microwave.I took advice from an auto electrician and what he said ties up with what coffeeholic says in that a huge inverter will take more out of your batteries that a 24 volt micro.
I wired mine direct to the batteries using 4awg cable , I also wired it through an anderson plug in case it needed to be removed quickly.
In the week I’ve now had the micro I’ve used it nearly everyday and not had any bother. It’s one of these things that I wish I had bought years ago. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think I’ve related this tale before but I will relate it again.

The 24v Microwaves have a nice big capacitor in them so when you start to use it the power draw from the batteries isn’t as severe. The capacitor stores a nice lot of power and can give a good old belt if you touch it, even with the batteries disconnected.

So I am at an auto electrical place having a split charging system fitted for the batteries that were on our trailers, used to power the tail-lifts. The electrician had completed all the wiring except the final connection to the batteries, which to do he had to temporarily remove the existing cables for the microwave. The conversation went something like this.

Me: Watch that cable mate, it’s for the microwave and can give you a belt from the capacitor.

Him: I’ve been doing auto electrics for 20 years, I know what I’m doing.

Me: Fair enough.

Bang, flash, sizzle, followed by smell of burning flesh.

Him: ■■■■■■■■, it bloody burnt my hand. Oh ■■■■ that hurts.

He is now jumping around holding his right hand between his legs and saying words that won’t get past the auto censor on here.

Me: Thank Christ you knew what you were doing or that could have been nasty. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
I think I’ve related this tale before but I will relate it again.

The 24v Microwaves have a nice big capacitor in them so when you start to use it the power draw from the batteries isn’t as severe. The capacitor stores a nice lot of power and can give a good old belt if you touch it, even with the batteries disconnected.

So I am at an auto electrical place having a split charging system fitted for the batteries that were on our trailers, used to power the tail-lifts. The electrician had completed all the wiring except the final connection to the batteries, which to do he had to temporarily remove the existing cables for the microwave. The conversation went something like this.

Me: Watch that cable mate, it’s for the microwave and can give you a belt from the capacitor.

Him: I’ve been doing auto electrics for 20 years, I know what I’m doing.

Me: Fair enough.

Bang, flash, sizzle, followed by smell of burning flesh.

Him: ■■■■■■■■, it bloody burnt my hand. Oh [zb] that hurts.

He is now jumping around holding his right hand between his legs and saying words that won’t get past the auto censor on here.

Me: Thank Christ you knew what you were doing or that could have been nasty. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

So what you saying is , if I ever unplug the micro dont stick my fingers in the microvave end of the plug :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

Robsta:
Hi all,

:question: I would appreciate some help with my dilemma regarding a microwave for my Premium.

Do I buy a 240 volt and an inverter if so how would I make sure I got the right inverter or go for a 24volt and hope Renault do a fitting kit?
I’m hoping to mount(ooooh er missus) the microwave on tv shelf above passenger seat.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Rob :sunglasses:

its the microwave that should have a fitting kit in other words its not different kits for different trucks, i too couldnt decide but in the end went for a proper samsung roadmate 24v bought the panel for it to sit in the middle locker in my tga from kuda , got MAN to fit it all in for me for £ 125 which i thought was ok

I just wired mine in yesterday after 8 months of it being a very expensive cupboard. Its a Samsung one I bought off a mate and all I did was buy a couple of pairs of cheap jump leads and chop off the ends and wired it straight to the battery. It’s fantastic, just been in M&S at Leigh Delamare and all the lovely foods I can now buy are great!

switchlogic:
I just wired mine in yesterday after 8 months of it being a very expensive cupboard. Its a Samsung one I bought off a mate and all I did was buy a couple of pairs of cheap jump leads and chop off the ends and wired it straight to the battery.

You did put an in line fuse in didn’t you?

why is it everytime you need anything 12/24 volt the price goes through the roof,i bought a telly from dixons 2 years ago for about £150 15inch with freeview which is 12 volt input but when you go to truckstops the charge £300-£400 for for samespec telly & you see drivers buying them,if im there i usually tell them to go to currys or any other electical shop & get one there & just buy a power cable for it as nearlly every telly 19inch & under is usually 12 volt.surelly they dont cost that much more to make or is it we’ll rip the truck driver off again.example here 240 microwave £70 24 volt £480.
kitchenwareonline.com/acatal … 4wodpHc-Jw

andy.

Coffeeholic:

switchlogic:
I just wired mine in yesterday after 8 months of it being a very expensive cupboard. Its a Samsung one I bought off a mate and all I did was buy a couple of pairs of cheap jump leads and chop off the ends and wired it straight to the battery.

You did put an in line fuse in didn’t you?

Don’t be silly! what do you think I am, professional? I’m sure something will explode sooner or later.

i need some advice please are the small 24v electric ovens any good seen them for sale for around £30 or are they for just warming food up like pies not after doing a 3 course meal but i am fed up with the tinned meals what can you cook in them