Microwave Help needed please

i need some advice please are the small 24v electric ovens any good seen them for sale for around £30 or are they for just warming food up like pies not after doing a 3 course meal but i am fed up with the tinned meals what can you cook in them

ive got one of those 30 quid ovens and there well worth the money genraly takes bt 40 mins to cook chicken kievs ,shepards pie,fry bentos pie etc there no good pluged into the ■■■ lighter ,though they need to be wired to the fuse box

are they good enough to do frozen ready meals

what about one of these…

cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Portable-In-C … 2eaa05c15e

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wave-Box-Portable … 3a56433fd3

wave box seems to good to be true.

seen them i no what you mean about to good to be true thats why i am asking about these electric ovens cos they seem to be pretty good value

ive done the job properly with a 24v samsung all fitted in, cost a bit initially but its easily paid for itself in the last 6 months, stuck in the snow the other morning knocking up walls micro sausage sarnies, should have sold a few there was a lot of hungry looking car drivers about :smiley:

now i am tempted

lee mat:
are they good enough to do frozen ready meals

to cook a frozen ready your genrally looking about 50 mins i genraly buy the chilled ones which roughly take about half an hour ,you can also cook things that u cant do in micywave breaded fish bt 25 mins,gamoon 30 min,i cant deny for quikness the microwave would win but whats half hour to cook somin when u park up stick it on when your doing your paperwork,tunning your tv in etc,i bought mine 5 years ago and i use it neary every nite n its never let me down

thanks for that i am going to invest in one anything has got to be better than tinned meals all week

I have a 1500 watt inverter and use an electric kettle (from caravan shop), toaster and microwave, but obviously not at the same time! Never had a problem. Got a FH and the fitter wired it to the main supply that comes in to the front of the cab. The only thing that did alarm me when I first got it all fitted was the brake failure warning you get if the engine is running and the microwave is on, but clears itself after a switch off and on.

Ok fellas, an interesting read. Does anyone wanna put there neck on the line and recommend a 24volt microwave? A buyers guide?

Samsung Roadmate

24 volt, it also has a low voltage cut out on it so that it doesn’t drain the batteries too much, that said, i al;ways run the engine when using the microwave

i got three of them, never had any bother with them at all, work perfectly well, i do frozen ready meals in kine, all i do is add an extra 30 seconds to the cook time due to it not being as powerful as a household microwave

shuttlespanker:
i got three of them, never had any bother with them at all, work perfectly well, i do frozen ready meals in kine, all i do is add an extra 30 seconds to the cook time due to it not being as powerful as a household microwave

I have to add a couple of minutes with an All Ride one :frowning:

Denis F:

shuttlespanker:

I have to add a couple of minutes with an All Ride one :frowning:

So how relevent is the price comparison between the 2?

We’ve got Samsung Roadmate’s in our units & overall they’ve been unreliable. I’ve had a '57 plate TGA from new & it’s on it’s second microwave.

paulfromwire:
We’ve got Samsung Roadmate’s in our units & overall they’ve been unreliable. I’ve had a '57 plate TGA from new & it’s on it’s second microwave.

so, in 2 1/2 years, you had one fail?

personally, i think that is not too bad.

but, the one i have in my truck, i purchased it new from Truckfest Peterborough in 2007, fitted it in the truck and not had any problems with it at all, i paid £250 for it from the CDC stand, could have also got it from the KUDA stand at the same price.

i had to purchase the wiring kit from DAF at a cost of £28 that goes from the rear of the microwave to the plug that is fitted in the top cupboard specifically for the microwave

one of the microwaves in the other truck was in a second hand vehicle when i bought it, don’t know how old it is, but it still works fine after being in my ownership for 3 years now

thats an expensive microwive am getting that electric oven if it breaks theres not as much crying to be done but i would imagine either would be a test for your batteries especially in this cold weather

shuttlespanker:

paulfromwire:

so, in 2 1/2 years, you had one fail?

The truck was under 2 years old when it went. The ‘Lo’ display cane on after approx 17 seconds, all you could hear was a relay clicking on & off. A few in our fleet had the same problem so may have been a dodgy batch.

the LO displays when the voltage has dropped below a certain level, to get round that, i run the engine to keep the voltage up.

Maritime use the same Samsung Roadmate microwave, they have had a few with problems too, but if you consider the amount that are sold to the amount that have issues with them, it would be the same or very similar ratio for any electrical item whether it be 12/24 or 240 volt.

the same can be said for just about anything from computers to trucks, you get good ones and bad ones unfortunately

shuttlespanker:
the LO displays when the voltage has dropped below a certain level, to get round that, i run the engine to keep the voltage up.

Yes mate it does but this was a problem even with the engine running. Had mine changed as the vehicle was still under warranty.