Microwave and inverter help needed

Hi fellow truckers so I want to get a microwave in my Volvo fh500 14 plate I was quoted stupid prices by Volvo £960 lol told them to stick it was quoted £760 from a company in ipswich forget the name now told them same thing,so now decided to try it myself but I’ve never done it before and have no idea at all.Im going to buy a decent inverter 2000k or 3000k with a peak power of between 4500k to 6000k and just chuck in a microwave from tescos now my problem is what inverter to buy pure sine or modified sine and 12v to 230v or 24v to 230v?Also how do you guys recommend it be wired like I said I’m clueless lol and I really don’t want to burn out the wiring in the truck.Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Been loads of good advice posted many times. Must be hard wired to the batteries or an Anderson lead but beware the high amount of amps needed. A 12v 2000kw one will need to draw a minimum of 167 amps while a 24v one will need about 83amps so quite a large power drain.
Pure sine wave every time !

This is something I’m looking at doing when my new fh arrives next month. I was looking at inverters on eBay last week, seem to be around the £150 mark, add a cheap and cheerful microwave and bingo!
We had wiring pre installed for microwave by Volvo, but didn’t realise cost of 24v microwaves :open_mouth: , so I’m planning on using it to power a tv/dvd combo when funds become available.
How many 12/24v sockets are there typically in the cab, I counted 3 on dash board the other day when I had a nosy, but wondered if there are any more hidden in the cab?
I’ve seen trucks with led boards on back wall and wondered if there was an outlet around there?

Don’t worry about that modified / pure sine wave issue. The only time you notice that is if you plug in an old type portable colour TV… the program you’d be watching would be great one minute, and an annoying line up or down the screen the next.
For what you want, look at the label on the appliance, ( microwave 750w ) add 25 percent = 1000w for safe working load.
And yes. Hard wire it via a coupling between the cab and the battery box and a 100 amp fuse for a 1000w inverter.
I’m thinking you have a flat screen portable; most do these days. Stick with the ■■■ lighter socket on that one.
Safe cooking, and don’t plug in a deep-fat fryer @ 2000w…

Can’t think of any smiles…

Mind how ya’ go…

Thanks for the reply a guys and rob there’s 3 cigarette sockets on dash and there’s a little storage box behind drivers seat lift up flap and another socket in there too I use that to charge phone or iPad when in bed.I want a decent inverter not just for microwave but taking a 21 inch house flat screen tv and my ps4 so want to run this on inverter to but a 2000k one should be easy enough powerful found one for 164 quid but only one plug socket so thinking it would be OK to to use extension lead with 2 plug outlets on it.I won’t be wiring the inverter in my boss and his mechanic are sorting it as it is a lease vehicle so boss wants it done right lol just hope he don’t set me on ■■■■■■ fire when I’m a kip lol

I had Volvo wire my 2100 watt inverter into the fuse box 60 plate and fitted with 125 amp fuse box

I won’t bother with Volvo they quoted me £960 quid plus vat just to install a microwave and inverter supplied by them I’ve asked a few auto technicians for a quote on installing an inverter just waiting on a reply I will then buy a cheap house microwave found a few inverters from 150 to 220 quid so that’s cheapest option.I would wire it in myself but it looks tricky for me and I can’t be arsed figuring it all out lol

I’ve got my inverter fitted under the bed and an Anderson out at the the back of the cab where the suzzies are. Then another Anderson out from the battery about a foot away. I just connect an Anderson lead to both points when I need it when I park up in the evening. The inverter I’ve got has a cable from it with an on off switch attached which sits in the cab and an extension lead from the inverter in the cab so I never have to lift the bed to turn it off and on.

ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-3000W-p … XQKPRSNY8B

I’d recommend these. Brilliant bit of kit. Powers TV (a proper 19" Samsung and not one of those crap Hgv ones) and 600w microwave amazon.co.uk/Daewoo-QT3-Comp … B00A48YJQY simultaneously no problem. Although I do leave the engine running when I’m using the microwave to be on the safe side.

raymundo:
Been loads of good advice posted many times. Must be hard wired to the batteries or an Anderson lead but beware the high amount of amps needed. A 12v 2000kw one will need to draw a minimum of 167 amps while a 24v one will need about 83amps so quite a large power drain.
Pure sine wave every time !

Yep it’s got to be pure sine. That little bit extra spent means you get an instant and stable current.

This is an excellent extension. I’ve got one the same. Works fine with the 600w microwave and TV. Not the cheapest but you pay a bit more you get better quality and looks.

amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-SRGD … sion+cable

Thanks tris just what I’m after really and really good price to I have good size outside lockers on my truck so inverter will go in passenger side one and I will get one of those extension leads found a microwave wall bracket to now just got to work out whether to fit it myself lol I know what to do but I’d still rather a professional fit and on the Volvo fh new shape one no idea where battery’s are lol im guessing buried somewhere in the chassis.

Don’t forget allow for inverter’s cooling. Keep the fan clear of accessories straps etc.

Well pretty much bought everything now but forgot to ask does the inverter need to be earthed.

Cheers lads

wayne1979:
Well pretty much bought everything now but forgot to ask does the inverter need to be earthed.

Cheers lads

It’s the same connection as the black negative connection to your batteries supply. The one I had , had a separate earth copper tab which was recommended to be wired to the battery -ve side anyway.
Never with that one.

Well looked at best place to put inverter I wanted to stick it in passenger outside locker but looked all round it can’t find a way out for the wiring to the battery’s I can’t drill any holes as its a lease truck so not sure how to do it now.Any one wired one in to a Volvo fh500 new shape unit cheers for the reply a

wayne1979:
Well looked at best place to put inverter I wanted to stick it in passenger outside locker but looked all round it can’t find a way out for the wiring to the battery’s I can’t drill any holes as its a lease truck so not sure how to do it now.Any one wired one in to a Volvo fh500 new shape unit cheers for the reply a

Lay the inverter flat in the tray on the driver’s side, feed the Anderson lead through the gap next to the tray, open the side locker, feed the lead in between the cab and the airkit, close the locker and the wire won’t protrude, the locker will keep it right tight in the gap between the cab and the airkit, then just plug it in to wherever your Anderson lead is installed, if you don’t have one installed already, wire up a separate Anderson lead to the battery/live positive lead and earth, that way you can disconnect the inverter easily without having to monkey with the battery again.

Thanks wheelnut sounds much easier that way chucking it in this week will let you know how it goes

Well this 70mm welding cable is ■■■■ expensive think I need 3 metres of each and at 7 quid a meter it ain’t cheap lol but now thinking it’s cheaper to buy some heavy duty jump leads at 30 quid and use the leads from them as there 6 metres which is plenty

Keep any cables as short as possible as well.