Mercedes Axor

As a lot of you know,I was,until recently,the driver of a 53 plate Twingo Premium,and once I went in the office,I swapped with one of our drivers,for his Mercedes Axor.This being a year older,(52 plate) and the fact I would be an infrequent driver,and the other guy wanting more space for a weeks tramping.Fair enough.

Today,I had a rare outing in the Axor,and the weather was foul,to say the least.What annoyed the hell out of me,was the fact that there is no manual switch to heat the mirrors,and my rear visibility was almost nil. :open_mouth:

I have spoken to Mercedes,and they have given me an answer to the question,but I’m still wondering if the service department was having a laugh.

So I will ask the members of the forum,some of which must have now,or have driven in the past,an Axor,and that is…

HOW THE HELL DO THE HEATED MIRRORS WORK :question: :question: :question:

I will reveal what Mercedes said,once I have heard from the forum.

So it’s over to you Ladies and Gentlemen.

Ken.

They detect the outside temperature and come on automagically.

And it DOES work.

That’s all well and good,but what about when it’s mild,and it’s ■■■■■■■ it down with rain,like it was in Hull today?

Ken.

I believe one of the truck mags came up with the same thing when they tested it. The problem is it’s designed by people who look at the Merc car range and think what a great idea. If they actually ever drove a truck the might realise what most truck drivers use heated mirrors for.

Quinny:
I will reveal what Mercedes said,once I have heard from the forum.

So it’s over to you Ladies and Gentlemen.

Ken.

Ken

Did they say take 3 rolls of with you :question:

Its what the germans call VOR SPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

OR what we hear call a stuipd B++++Y IDEA as is normal from

the so called EXPERTS who design the modern transport of

the future.[/img][/list]

Surely it wouldn’t be too difficult to modify the system and route the heated mirror wires through a little device we all know to be called ‘a switch’ :question:

Yup, temperature sensitive.
So, no using them to keep rain off the mirrors :unamused: Nice idea for the snowy wastes, flippin awful for blighty.

Do they have a rag tied to them?.

Did they say take 3 rolls of with you :question:
[/quote]

pic didnt work did it :blush:

:smiley:

nope im afraid it didnt :laughing:

it does now :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well,some of you have hit the nail on the head,and correctly predicted what Mercedes said,and that was they are temperature sensitive. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Why the hell would ANY manufacturer want to design and produce such a ridiculous system,is beyond me,but if any of the dimwits from Mercedes in Germany actually read this post,then for God’s sake,change the ■■■■ thing.I bet the braindead moron who did actually think of this,isn’t/wasn’t/never has been a truck driver. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Even less popular manufacturers,have heated mirrors on a switch.

Rant over.

Ken.

In your car you don’t need heated mirrors in the rain but in a truck you do, shows what they are predominantly interested in.

My Actros suffered the same problem. My E320 has a switch which puts on heated rear screen and wing mirror heaters. That is German logic?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The standard temperature setting for the mirrors is set too low. We had the same problem at Bannisters until the dealer readjusted the temperature to a higher value and now they work properly!

The standard temperature setting for the mirrors is set too low. We had the same problem at Bannisters until the dealer readjusted the temperature to a higher value and now they work properly!

That’s interesting.I didn’t know that could be done,although I would imagine if you knew where the thermostat is,you could do it yourself.

But now further to my rant,the night heater display has gone off,meaning the night heater doesn’t work,and until I can get it into Northside Mercedes in Leeds,for which I don’t hold out much hope,I won’t be doing ANY nights out next week.

We have also had another Axor in at the same dealer for a week for a blown head gasket,and now that it’s nearly repaired,the vehicle is due it’s MOT next week,so that means another week off the road.

Needless to say,apart from the MOT for which we can’t do anything about,our gaffer is not a happy bunny. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ken.

Quinny:
…I would imagine if you knew where the thermostat is, you could do it yourself…

You’d also need a laptop with the necessary software!

Serves you right for swapping a Renault for a Mercedes :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s maybe a German idea to link the rear fog lamps to the wiper switch as well :open_mouth:

I have to say,that despite the small faults my Axor has,it’s not a bad motor.The Renaults,so we are led to believe,were downrated to 385bhp by Renault,despite them saying 420 on them.This was discussed some time ago on here,and the reason why Renault guarantee the fuel figures on new Premiums.Whereas the Mercedes is a 430,and it does feel like it.On Wednesday last,I had 25 pallets on,and going up towards Ainley Top from Brighouse,I never dropped a gear.

But after having only 2 pedals on the Renault,it was odd to have 3 when I got the Merc,however,from a motorsport perspective,I’m able to ‘light the tyres up’ in all of the gears,which can make for some interesting activity,especially when running bobtail. :smiley:

But as I’m not doing any nights out at the present time,it’s ok for me.

Ken.