mirrors

Can anyone please settle an argument for me…

I seem to remember a truck in the late 80s early 90s that had small wipers fitted to the mirrors,

Got a feeling that it was an Iveco.

Mate at work says I’m imagining things , anyone remember these and if so did they work

Before my time but I’m pleased to see I’m not the only one wishing for such a thing at this time of year :wink:

Correct Iveco turbo-star

thank you britpete knew I was right.

Anyone know if they worked and if they did why cant they be fitted as standard on new trucks nowadays,

edited for spelling

Yes the iveco Turbostar we had one on a E plate they never were any good the motors burnt out quickly :unamused:

The Met Police had some coaches fitted with mirror wipers in the late seventies.

They were never repeated so possibly not a great success.

Why hasnt any manufacturer come up with an idea to keep the mirrors clean…we have heated mirrors but after a while the rain and dirt dry onto the mirrors and make them just as useless.
Then we have drivers who tie bits of cloth to the mirror arm in the hope this will swing around and keep the rain off of them.
Then there is the other annoying thing…wheel trims…or wheel nut guards…( in fact a truck without them is illegal in europe )
A lot of manufacturers…hire firms…and transport companies, fail to see the danger of a truck without them…often opting for those lovely little yellow things to see whether the wheel nuts are loose or not.
These trims should be compulsory…as i find that all the spray…salt…dirty water is thrown over the mirrors because of no thought for safety or the driver.
Lets not forget the idiots who fail to turn their headlights on in very wet conditions, believing that the trucker has all around vision.

truckyboy:
Why hasnt any manufacturer come up with an idea to keep the mirrors clean…we have heated mirrors but after a while the rain and dirt dry onto the mirrors and make them just as useless.
Then we have drivers who tie bits of cloth to the mirror arm in the hope this will swing around and keep the rain off of them.
Then there is the other annoying thing…wheel trims…or wheel nut guards…( in fact a truck without them is illegal in europe )
A lot of manufacturers…hire firms…and transport companies, fail to see the danger of a truck without them…often opting for those lovely little yellow things to see whether the wheel nuts are loose or not.
These trims should be compulsory…as i find that all the spray…salt…dirty water is thrown over the mirrors because of no thought for safety or the driver.
Lets not forget the idiots who fail to turn their headlights on in very wet conditions, believing that the trucker has all around vision.

I would argue the little strips of cloth do work on dirty roads. The nut ring or wheel nut ring is compulsory and for anyone going on a ferry is often necessary. There is nothing worse than trying to climb into a cab when there is a trailer parked 18’’ away. In fact the old wheel steps of yesteryear would be a better idea with a grippy step ring

I remember seeing some years ago a mirror with wash/wipe facility advertised in some trucking publication.
I got the idea it was some aftermarket product,but it seemed to drop out of sight.

BOC or Air Products used a system that blew air at high pressure from a nozzle at the top of the mirror, this seems like a good idea, I’m surprised it didn’t catch on.

The Turbo Star had the wiper system on the mirrors as has been said, but typical Italian electrics meant that it was nothing more than a gimmick that worked for a couple of weeks if you were lucky.

CCTV cameras have wipers on them and whilst they don’t travel as fast as trucks they are still subject to wind and gales.

Could it be that truck manufacturers have no great interest in fitting them, or buyers, who are generally not the end-users do not consider them of benefit.