why don't......

Why is it that trucks dont have wash wipers on mirrors? Im sure this is available on cars mirrors and headlights but i have never seen it on a truck? Driving on dirty roads over winter you would think it would make sense to be able to clear your nearside mirror as you go rather than having to stop every half hour or so just so you can see. I guess this might be a “SPec” option on some trucks just that i have never seen any.

I have never ever seen a mirror wiper.

Is it really too much trouble to go around the vehicle with an old rag and clean the lights and mirrors when you stop? I do the whole vehicle lights when I’m at my last daylight tip/rest break.

Can’t beat a bit of rag tied to the arm behind the mirror and long enough to reach the whole lens. Keeps the rain off and polishes it to sparkling when dry.
Not all bosses approve though :unamused:
No names no pack drill Tom Llewellyn :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Bones:
Why is it that trucks don’t have wash wipers on mirrors?

IMHO because they are not built or designed by drivers. There could be so many improvements made to any truck made today, some a lot more than others.

Spardo:
Can’t beat a bit of rag tied to the arm behind the mirror and long enough to reach the whole lens.

Because that can scratch some of the more plasticy type ones to death. Then they’re a nightmare to look in. I’m not saying its a bad idea though. :wink: :laughing:

If some thought went into the aerodynamic design of the mirror you would’nt need bits of rag. Down to a price as usual. :unamused:

If I remember correctly years ago they did bring out a mirror with a wiper. I’m not sure but it might have been at the first Motor Show at the NEC when commercial 's were also at the same show. It didn’t look very smart a bit on the chunky side.

Conor:
I have never ever seen a mirror wiper.

Is it really too much trouble to go around the vehicle with an old rag and clean the lights and mirrors when you stop? I do the whole vehicle lights when I’m at my last daylight tip/rest break.

No never said it was a problem. i just asked “why dont they?” :unamused: :unamused:

And it doesnt matter if you clean them when you stop because sometimes you can go down the road and in 20 minutes they are as bad.

I’m forever wiping mine.

The mk 2 FM / FH mirrors seem to get covered in gunge quicker than any other motor I’ve driven.

on the old motors, a rag as David says is a good method. Some of the old mirrors were very bad! I noticed in the late 80’s early 90’s mirrors got a lot better, and heated, most of them. In fact, with even a 3 series scanny, I found that if you clean them, they will last a good while before you cant see again, also the FH12. Some like the B series, the atki’s, Buffalo’s ect were diabolical, and what about frost? They never thawed out some days!

just to make matters worse, trucks like the DAF 75 have a split window so you cant open it for a better view. thats twice as much glass getting covered in road crap. you would think that the manufacturers would address this problem by making every truck with a single piece of glass on each door but MAN still split it on their rigids :imp:

The worst mirrors I have come across in my opinion are those on the actros even they have heaters that are permanently on as they never seem to be clear in the wet weather

I have seen gritter trucks with them on… I think they are old ERF’s

CM:
If some thought went into the aerodynamic design of the mirror you would’nt need bits of rag. Down to a price as usual. :unamused:

A lot of truth in what you say, incase anyone doesn’t know there is already a “self cleaning glass” available and in use. And, no it’s not an April fools joke. They’ll have them in the future, some of won’t be around to use them!!

Seen them once on a utlity type vehicle i was passing (water board or similar).
Ugly, expensive, but i agree a good idea.

Car body polish (not glass polish) does help to keep them clean/rain free.

Do you realise that often heated glasses often get replaced with non heated ones?

Why do ships have spinning screens instead of wipers?

Mal:
! I noticed in the late 80’s early 90’s mirrors got a lot better, and heated, most of them. !

Yes, granted heated mirrors are great for drying the rain and de-icing but they don’t help with the dried on muck left behind.

Scanny77:
just to make matters worse, trucks like the DAF 75 have a split window so you cant open it for a better view

I hate quarter lights, the only thing wrong with the Foden I used to drive.

Driveroneuk:
Why do ships have spinning screens instead of wipers?

They’re brilliant, often wondered that during long spells on the helm. I suppose it is because it involves a central spindle with a wire to it which may get in your eyeline.

Salut, David.

I once drove an Iveco Turbostar with a wiper on the main passenger side mirror, it was useless. The mirror didn’t get enough water on it to wash the muck away, it just smeared the muck further across the mirror. I don’t imagine it would be feasible to fit a washer jet onto a mirror either.

I use Rain-X on my mirrors and the passenger window, its pretty good. Its a film which fills in the microscopic surface imperfections of the glass, so the muck and water don’t cling to it. I have to re-apply it every couple of weeks or so, but I’m still using the same bottle I bought 2 years ago.

Someone makes a neater alternative to a rag tied to your mirror arm. I can’t remember what its called now, (it could be a Mirror Wiper). The main on-line truck accessory sites all sell them. Its a tube of nylon cloth, sealed at one end so it doesn’t unravel, and comes with a press-stud type of thing to attach it to your mirror arm with. They come in several colours, including black, so you can colour match it to your mirror back.