Wipers on your mirrors

does anyone remember a long time ago, some mirrors where fitted with wipers. cant remember which truck manufacturers it was, maybe it was securicor vehicles that had them? but im sure i saw them on trucks.
or did i just dream it… :open_mouth:

and why dont we have them now? headlights have had them, and now have a fancy jet wash. so why not mirrors?

They were standard fit on the original Iveco TurboStar, but being electric 7 Italian they didn’t last long :laughing:

Some of the Securicor money vans had them too, BOC or Air Products had a system that blew compressed air down the mirror which served the same purpose, that was probably the better way of doing it, until you wacked a mirror & ended up with a bad air leak :cry:

You would think that someone would’ve come up with a way of making a mirror that doesn’t stay dirty, I know Pilkingtons make a self cleaning window for tall buildings & lazy rich people, someone should do the same with mirror glass :bulb:

At the end of the day its all about cost isn’t it. Ok so i know some O/D’s would option it (Mr Vain springs to mind :wink: ) but would a gaffer with a fleet of 20+

At the end of the day a rag on the end of a drivers arm is a ■■■■ sight cheaper and its the drivers responsibility to ensure he’s got good clear allround vision not the gaffers

one of those sqidgy (sp) things like a miniature version of what window cleaners use is one of the best things i ever used for cleaning/clearing mirrors which reminds me i must knock up a new one

plus as an aside i think all trucks should follow Scanias lead with the rubbers in the doors coz although they maybe a bit noisy and slow to wind up/down they do a bloody good job of clearing the side windows

Other than walking for a coffee & trolling to the bog, cleaning mirrors gives me something to do off my ■■■■ during a 45, but even mine don’t go from acceptable to utterly unacceptable in 4 hrs 30. Unless ocassionally when their internal ‘heater’ is belly-up…

I never heat mine .At night when they grit drys on them with the lights behind they are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard if you heat them.
I leave them wet.Passenger side never seems to get as bad as the drivers.
Give the drivers a quick wipe with a rag to get the mucky water off and that will do.

i remember on a tomorrows world in about 1975 they had an idea shown, it was a round mirror fitted to a truck that span around very fast so the water flew off it :exclamation:

ps who else when in a line of traffic washes their windscrean when a convertable is along side fast speed works best :laughing: :laughing:
or when being followed in one whilst driving their car
i know i do when the present Mrs Jones is followng me in her car with the roof down :imp:

Try a bottle of Rain Away on your mirrors, does help them stay cleaner than is the norm.
when applied to the screen the results are amazing in this weather.

malcolmj:
i remember on a tomorrows world in about 1975 they had an idea shown, it was a round mirror fitted to a truck that span around very fast so the water flew off it :exclamation:

They wouldn’t be any good today though as they were in black and white :stuck_out_tongue:

malcolmj:
ps who else when in a line of traffic washes their windscrean when a convertable is along side fast speed works best :laughing: :laughing:
or when being followed in one whilst driving their car
i know i do when the present Mrs Jones is followng me in her car with the roof down :imp:

Nope never done anything like that except to maybe the odd cyclist or two :smiling_imp:

donkey-dog:
Try a bottle of Rain Away on your mirrors, does help them stay cleaner than is the norm.

When i was on the taxi’s a mate of mine applied one coat of that stuff to my windscreen ( i think they recommended you do it a couple of times ) and it was shocking the difference it made, I was really surprised when driving along the M4 at about 70 and it was peeing down with rain and i didnt even put my wipers on, really didnt need to

Reef:

donkey-dog:

When i was on the taxi’s a mate of mine applied one coat of that stuff to my windscreen ( i think they recommended you do it a couple of times ) and it was shocking the difference it made, I was really surprised when driving along the M4 at about 70 and it was peeing down with rain and i didnt even put my wipers on, really didnt need to

He Probably used something like Rain X. Use it on visors helps the water slide off.

Just bought some rain away on ebay just now, cheers for that guys :smiley:

I remember the circular mirror on Tomorrows World, I think it gave a view like one of those fairground mirrors though.

Rain X is good for the side windows, but I’ve found that it doesn’t do a lot on the mirrors except make them easier to clean.

cleaning mirrors gives me something to do off my ■■■■ during a 45

Naughty naughty - You shouldn’t do any work on your break and cleaning mirrors is work:)

cheers for the comments guys, knew i hadnt dreamt about them. just cant understand why we havnt got anything better than what we have, especially in this culture of elf and saftey. dont think it boils down to money, most trucks now have lots of toys as standard, and now its the law that you have enough mirrors on your truck to resemble a mods scooter :open_mouth: so why dont we have a better way to keep them clean? whats wrong with having a small wiper and even a washer? if the mirror can be heated and rotated why not a wiper? why is there nothing on the market?
or is it just me that cant abide trying to reverse into a tight hole :wink: without first cleaning my mirrors.

and then theres them old wardrobe mirrors :open_mouth: or what about those small round mirrors on them 50s trucks…

they where the days :smiley:

What on earth is wrong with torn off strips of bedsheet tied to the mirror arm?

The mirrors are kept clean, the material can be colour coded to the truck and it winds the boss up :stuck_out_tongue:

cleaning mirrors gives me something to do off my ■■■■ during a 45

Santa:
Naughty naughty - You shouldn’t do any work on your break and cleaning mirrors is work:)

Fair point. (I’ll thus resist suggesting that mirror cleaning is a relaxing detraction compared to being violently rocked on the bunk by passing wagons in a pi55-sodden lay-by).

Wheel Nut:
What on earth is wrong with torn off strips of bedsheet tied to the mirror arm?

The mirrors are kept clean, the material can be colour coded to the truck and it winds the boss up :stuck_out_tongue:

You have to think about the drag factor these rags will cause

I drove an Iveco TurboStar with a wiper on the passenger mirror, it was worse than useless.

There isn’t enough clean water getting onto the mirror to remove the crap with it, so all that happens is that the crap gets smeared further across the mirror.

muckles:

Reef:

donkey-dog:

He Probably used something like Rain X. Use it on visors helps the water slide off.

Raw potato does same job

scotslad:

muckles:

Reef:

donkey-dog:

Raw potato does same job

As economical with words as with cleaning supplies I see!!

Aaaah…just noticed your screen name…say no more!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL