Volvo mirror cam

Are Volvo about to follow Mercedes and go with mirror cam.Also new digital dash.

youtube.com/watch?v=pjHpQWPGgaU

iepieleaks.nl/volvo-camera-and- … dashboard/

The way I read it, that’s an afterfit job.
I would go for it if the price is right.
The mirrors on my actros are good for seeing behind, not so good at traffic islands and junctions.
They are like garlic bread in my opinion.

Yes Volvo are going for the mirrors…they have been on some of their experimental trucks for some time.

The mirrors on the Merc are excellent.

Great idea but they do look a bit vulnerable to low overhanging branches,and what happens if the camera stops working?

In my opinion its definitely the way forward but they could take some lessons from where we are already seeing operators mount additional cameras and be a little more imaginitive about where they mount them. One of the limitations of a mirror is the viewing angle from the drivers seat. it would make more sense to mount the convex much lower down on the unit and with the improvements in wireless technology you could mount one on the rear of the trailer and perhaps on the top n/s corner to show the blind side.

I wanted to say “what a load of rubbish, using technology for the sake of it, etc.” But watching that vid I was quite impressed. The biggest problem I can see is if the electronics fail, but you could say that about any feature on a modern lorry. The benefits are well worth the risk. Impressive.

I was gonna slag em off…but watching the video, theyre a great idea…it means that the mirrors are on the inside instead of the outside ( screens )…but would also be a boon to fit extras, like over the fuel tank, and the rear doors as an alarm system connected to an extra screen…security would surely be boosted if the scrotes knew they were being filmed.
I would assume that the DFT would have to change the rules to include ( no mirrors ) but cameras and screens for the C&U needs.

They can’t get…

Here quick enough. They’ve fitted rear/side cameras and a small screen to the MANs I’m driving and you get a cracking view down the nearside even at night.

The day we get rid of these huge blind spot inducing mirrors we have now the better.

Spot on mate, at last the industry is moving forward in the right direction…all we need now are bigger cabs, with built in toilet and shower…the jobs a good un.

yourhavingalarf:
They can’t get…

Here quick enough. They’ve fitted rear/side cameras and a small screen to the MANs I’m driving and you get a cracking view down the nearside even at night.

The day we get rid of these huge blind spot inducing mirrors we have now the better.

We have them too in our new Volvos and when changing lanes etc I try to not look in the mirrors but I’m finding it difficult and always end up having a peek as I’m not confident yet at judging the distances on the screen and feel happier looking in the mirror and in the rain and/or at night the screen not as clear.

ROADRANGER:
…The mirrors on my actros are good for seeing behind, not so good at traffic islands and junctions…

Amen to that!
Looks impressive now.
No doubt be better / cheaper in a few years time.

eurotrans:
Great idea but they do look a bit vulnerable to low overhanging branches,

Aren’t mirrors pretty vulnerable to the same things?
plus it has a smaller area to make contact.

eurotrans:
and what happens if the camera stops working?

The same as happens when you break your mirrors, you get them repaired and you might find the camera more robust than you average mirror glass.

truckyboy:
I would assume that the DFT would have to change the rules to include ( no mirrors ) but cameras and screens for the C&U needs.

I believe the regs were changed in 2016 to allow cameras to replace all mirrors, provided they are of a certain specification.
I think it was also an International agreement, so no problem taking the truck out of the U.K.

muckles:

eurotrans:
Great idea but they do look a bit vulnerable to low overhanging branches,

Aren’t mirrors pretty vulnerable to the same things?
plus it has a smaller area to make contact.

eurotrans:
and what happens if the camera stops working?

The same as happens when you break your mirrors, you get them repaired and you might find the camera more robust than you average mirror glass.

I have all the fors/cross rail bollox on my truck and I have had more cameras fitted than mirrors (just saying :slight_smile: )

Jesus… more crap for crap’s sake. What’s wrong with a conventional mirror?

ezydriver:
What’s wrong with a conventional mirror?

Limited field of vision, to try and solve they they’ve become bigger and create more limits to forward vision, vulnerable to damage as they’re large objects that stick out from the vehicle, not good in poor light, not good in bad weather and modern mirrors aren’t even a cheap solution.

Of course cameras may not be the answer, but mirrors are not the perfect solution for the job, just all we’ve had.

ezydriver:
Jesus… more crap for crap’s sake. What’s wrong with a conventional mirror?

What muckles…

Said and an alleged 4% savings on fuel.

truckyboy:
I was gonna slag em off…but watching the video, theyre a great idea…it means that the mirrors are on the inside instead of the outside ( screens )…but would also be a boon to fit extras, like over the fuel tank, and the rear doors as an alarm system connected to an extra screen…security would surely be boosted if the scrotes knew they were being filmed.

.but would also be a boon to fit extras, like over the fuel tank, and the rear doors as an alarm system connected to an extra screen…security would surely be boosted if the scrotes knew they were being filmed.
Y stop there you could mount machine guns on the roof