What do you think of the Merc Axor X?

Next Tuesday Truck & Driver is borrowing the new Mercedes Axor X - that’s the black one with the go-faster stripe and the extra ‘creature comforts’.
Anyway, we’re going to be taking it to South Mimms next Tuesday (March 17th) at about 11am. If any of you are in that neck of the woods we’d love to show you it, and get your views and comments for one of our Truckers’ Tests. There’s a free copy of the latest issue in it for you.

Ill pop in if Im about, do we get a go of it??

i think it means merc are desperate to boost sales.
why you may ask.

well for starters my 57 plate has the comfort seat already. infact every one in our fleet has although i believe they were extra cost options…
powershift ive got
alloy looking dash, aint got that but ive got immitation wood instead.
aircon, already have that.
cd holder. ok got me there, but then again ive got my own.infact, how many drivers would use it as the axor is generally a fleet truck running 24/7 for supermarkets etc. anyhow i dont have that but i do have front fog lights and apart from our fleet i must admit to not seeing many mk2 axors with front fogs.

double bunk. no i dont have that , however as the axor is a fleet truck i cant see a double bunk as a selling feature.

however what this truck lacks above all else is proper storage.
it has 1 small side locker.
there is storage under the bunk but the bunk is very heavy. why not have a big drawer under the bunk. like the fh volvo. theres plenty of room for one.
the above drivers head storage is ok but what this truck is crying out for is storage lockers above the bunk, just like in the fm volvo.

they are not bad trucks as fleet motors, but why have a big cab ( and they are big,a bit narrow mind) but hardly any storage.

■■■■■■
Dont like mercs only one i think looks good is andy biltons v8 actros

i quite like the merc’s the storage is a bit off a let down and the gearing use to be a bit of an art with the selection of gears but i found them adequate and they pull like hell. On the plus i’d have the later 2543 axor and be quite happy in it for 5/6 days a week.

i’ll put the tin hat on now.