Manpower!!!

Iwont go all through my storey again, if i new how to link to my previous message i would, but anyway after damaging my neck over 2 years ago and deciding a career in haulage is for me, i set my sights on gaining class c and cless c+e, then i researched containers, had i finance deal in place then thank god i stumbled on this site and it saved my bacon. After many months of trying to gain finance from the government to help me get back to work i have given in. I sold my car this week ( i will be borrowing my sisters for a while now) i am booked in at EPtraining services in Surrey who i would highly recommend to start my Cat c on 5th Jan. I have had a interview with Manpower this morning who have said finding me work until xmas is no problem at all, January is a quite but get this they have companies that have no probs taking on newbies who have just passed there test. Now im no dummy, i dont believe anything now till im actually doing it, but my point is, not only have i had illness to contend with, no help at all from the government, ive never given in, there are answeres out there and my god theres a lot of doors that are firmly shut in your face, but if you are determined enough you will get through the sticky mess that this country is in right now. If it wasnt for you guy i would be sat with a unit now and huge huge debt to pay. Will keep you all informed if Manpower are true to there words. Cheers Guys.

good luck with yoru training mate, let us all know how you get on.

one question though…why were you going to buy a unit before you even had the licence? :open_mouth:

Hi gibsla, after many months getting over my ops, i saw the add in truck and driver, put 2 and 2 together and got 5 lol. i took everything at face value, thought in a ideal world, get the finance, do my hgc , buy a unit and off i go, so glad a found this site mate. Im not saying i wouldnt want to give it a try in a few years but you guys have answered every question and saved me from a lot of debt. Id love to organise a xmas drink for us all so we can put faces to names. I will keep you posted mate.

which manpower did you go to? good luck with the training :sunglasses:

Hi joedwyer1, Sutton mate, speak to abi, realy helpful mate. Ive got the number if you need it.

johnny boy 1:
Hi gibsla, after many months getting over my ops, i saw the add in truck and driver, put 2 and 2 together and got 5 lol. i took everything at face value, thought in a ideal world, get the finance, do my hgc , buy a unit and off i go, so glad a found this site mate. Im not saying i wouldnt want to give it a try in a few years but you guys have answered every question and saved me from a lot of debt. Id love to organise a xmas drink for us all so we can put faces to names. I will keep you posted mate.

do you mean the ads for owner drivers?

like it has been said numerous times on here if they were any good they wouldnt need to advertise.

glad you saw sense and saved yourself a lot of heart ache and hardship.

i was thinking about the OD route but have put that idea firmly back in the fridge for at least another year or so, until the boom time comes round again, hopefully by then i will have made some good contacts and have a serious business plan worked out, instead of going off half cocked

yeah cool send us the number and il give them a call. its nice to see another local lad on here. i thought i was the only southern fairy! :laughing: :laughing:

hmm manpower up here in scotland are useless. i went to register with them 3 or 4 weeks ago and they havnt even processed me yet even though i fone mayby 2 or 3 times a week so really im giving up on them completly.

Hi gibsla, Yes mate, saw the adds for o/d thought all the usuall, be my own boss, get my lisence done etc etc, be rolling in it in a year. Didnt realy think to go into detail because the adds on the mags look so professional. Still close shave and taught me a thing or two mate. As i say had i not of stumbled on this site i would be in so much debt and misery now. Not put me off though, just need to gain the experiance and get some useful contacts and of course wait for things to pick up a lot.

yeah phoned them today and didn’t like her attitude. i ask her if its true that they have seasonal royal mail work and she barks back at me who am i talking to?
the answer to the question should of been yes or sorry but no.
she didn’t even want to take my details i know thats the nature of the economy at the mo but we will see i should be out with another agency doing guess what? royal mail work! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: any way rant over. its all good fun

joedwyer1:
yeah phoned them today and didn’t like her attitude. i ask her if its true that they have seasonal royal mail work and she barks back at me who am i talking to?

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to not want to reveal who their customers are to someone who has just phoned up out of the blue, you could easily be someone from another agency fishing for details. No other business would do it so why should they?

Paul

If you want info on Manpower pm me ill let you know

i know what you are saying. but you wasn’t there so you could’t of heard the tone of her voice. thats all im saying. you just know when some one is being [zb] with you :frowning:

if it needs stars it ain’t allowed. :wink: colingl

i dont understand it mate, i found them very helpful for the 3 hours i was there, Abi was most helpfull, mind you i applied on the internet and they contacted me, ive got my driver pack, im back there on monday to get my boots, sweatshirts etc and hopefully start work next week. Mind you just seen the news and the post office is in trouble, but at least i got a free Manpower pen. Will keep you informed how i get on with them mate.

Hello mate, all i can do is give you my experience of manpower so far. I passed CE in March and up until Sept. this year had applied for every job going and tried to get my foot in the door everywhere i could think of. Our very own Rog on the forums posted an ad for manpower recruiting on behalf of calor. I phoned them went down did the tests took the driving assessment and they said its just a matter of waiting for a place to become availiable on class1.
Guess what? I’m now working for Calor through manpower at Stoney Stanton trunking the Artic tankers back and forth from Immingham. It’s great im getting the experience i need and its all thanks to our Rog posting that ad. Manpower seem pretty good to me. There on the ball with the regulations and the moneys in the bank every week. A friendly lot too. All in all a very positive experience so far. It could be localised though and also client dependant, but good luck to you mate hope it works out for you. I have had dealings with some very unscrupulous agencys etc in the past and in my opinion these seem pretty straight so far. :slight_smile:

im not saying they are a bad company to work for. it may just be that one person in one branch had already had a bad day

I’ve got to say, I find the boys and girls at Manpower Driving, Crawley a pleasant lot to deal with.

Even though work’s a bit thin all round, I don’t get false promises and they’re courtious enough to ring and let me know that there’s no work the following day, rather than leaving me wondering.

I’ve worked for worse… :laughing:

my local manpower said all same things to me mate yet still rung me up asking about experience on every job, with a big “oh you`ve no exp” to follow. just bear it in mind!

jad24369:
. It’s great im getting the experience i need and its all thanks to our Rog posting that ad.

Holds out hand for gratuity… :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, I am glad to have been of help and that it worked out :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi all, its now been a week since i signed up for manpower, nothing so far, i ring in the mornings to make sure im at the front of the queue but nothing yet. Just been offered a ambulance driving job, patient transfere job, nothing spectacular but im thinking needs must at the moment. Dont want to mess Manpower about because they have said they have no probs with giving me work when i do my class 2 in Jan, difficult call realy, sort of stuck at the moment, :frowning: