Manpower

Hi I have an assessment tomorrow with Mpower they may have some hiab work on a temporary adhoc basis. As I’ve just passed I’ll need an assessment but on the phone was asked if I would take the hiab training through them which I’m keen to do as long as i get through the 1st 2 hoops.

Just wondered if anyone else has done training with them and how worthwhile you found it and how long your tied to them, obviously i will ask these questions tomorrow but was hopeful of some feedback .

Cheers Punchy

Out of the agencies Ive been on Manpower have been the most decent.
Before I took a full time gig else where they did offer Hiab training but naturally I couldnt take them up on it.
So im afraid I dont know about being tied to them

IIRC there is a 25 question theory test (60% pass mark) and then a natter/interview with one of the bods.

Not being funny, but if an agency is willing to fund a ticket for you and “tie you down” which will mean giving you work, albeit it might not always be the cream work :exclamation: :exclamation: then it is something to look into, free training and a wage coming in, the way things are currently job wise, that’s not a bad situation to be in

manpower aint bad, though ive never been offered hiab training or any training of any sort, also dont tell them ull drive anything because youll end up at RM like i am and youll be stuck on the vans 90% of the time.

If you can put up with the bull manure R.M. is all right. Well paid night shifts and no tight schedules.Take a comic with you as lots of sitting around doing not much.

Thanks for your replies much appreciated, got through assessment fine and given an employees handbook but more relevant for me is they have a Driving and Logistics handbook which summarises Working time hours, tacho regs with H & Safety advice. so a useful introduction to a newbie like me, who is still scratching his head trying to understand the drivers hours, rest periods and working time regulations. :confused:

Steep learning curve or what :unamused:

Hopefully I will have some more positive posts to relay as time goes by, but in the meantime have to acquire digital tachograpgh card and complete course when its been arranged.

punchy

alamcculloch:
If you can put up with the bull manure R.M. is all right. Well paid night shifts and no tight schedules.Take a comic with you as lots of sitting around doing not much.

if you on the artics its fine, nice and easy.

its when they send you on to parcelforce on the vans.

MY licence is a class2been on 7.5 tonners and vans for R.M. Would imagine that parcel force is a different ball game.

im class 1, been on everything for one parcelforce depot though really i refuse to go on the vans for deliveries, i only do collections or trunks now soo much easier. havnt had much luck with class 1 work with them though even though i keep pestering them but its mainly because the manager at one parcelforce depot wants me on “standby”

he also has 2 other people who are on standby aswell.ive had words about this aswell but its really to no avail.

only bit i dont like about manpower but otherwise easy work.

Update
Took a 2 day Lorry Loader course with Newcroft training at Purfleet on the weekend of 25th May, this covered the brick grab attachment and remote control of the ALLMI course. There were 2 other guys from manpower one who had recently started working for jewson and another like me who needed this course to start. All went well so through that hoop!

Speaking to the guy who has recently started for jewson its obvious I have a fair bit to learn, so have asked to shadow a driver so I get an idea of whats really involved. Spent last friday with a manpower driver out of a local branch and yes it was an eye opener. didn’t stop allday He’d loaded the lorry the previous evening so was ready to roll by the time i got there.

Deliveries were all local in ipswich so was useful seeing how he negotiated local estate roads and pulling up to unload the vehicle etc. Of course loading/unloading is just one of the many issues I need to get familiar with quickly, let alone driving the different trucks if I’m to gain the experience I need to succeed.

Have asked for another 2 days shadowing at the end of this week so I feel a bit more confident although I’ve got to bite the bullet at some time :unamused:

punchy:
Update
Took a 2 day Lorry Loader course with Newcroft training at Purfleet on the weekend of 25th May, this covered the brick grab attachment and remote control of the ALLMI course. There were 2 other guys from manpower one who had recently started working for jewson and another like me who needed this course to start. All went well so through that hoop!

Speaking to the guy who has recently started for jewson its obvious I have a fair bit to learn, so have asked to shadow a driver so I get an idea of whats really involved. Spent last friday with a manpower driver out of a local branch and yes it was an eye opener. didn’t stop allday He’d loaded the lorry the previous evening so was ready to roll by the time i got there.

Deliveries were all local in ipswich so was useful seeing how he negotiated local estate roads and pulling up to unload the vehicle etc. Of course loading/unloading is just one of the many issues I need to get familiar with quickly, let alone driving the different trucks if I’m to gain the experience I need to succeed.

Have asked for another 2 days shadowing at the end of this week so I feel a bit more confident although I’ve got to bite the bullet at some time :unamused:

No offence but get out there and do it man! We all had to go for a our first drive on our own. The first time pulling upto an RDC, warehouse of some kind whatever but honestly the longer you leave it the more you will torment yourself :laughing:
Stop being a tart and get out there and DO IT and I bet at the end of the first day although you will be shattered and confused with all the info you will feel really good and realise it wasnt that bad afterall :stuck_out_tongue: And if you want a perm job they will want to see you can operate without them having to hold your hand all the way and by keep asking to shadow someone you are showing a great lack of confidence in your own ability, how will they feel about your ability if you arent confident yourself?
Good luck whatever you do let us know how it goes/went :smiley:

Hi Ollie I know its been a fair old time since you responded to my post, but have recently logged on again and thought the least I could do was to update you, and apologise for responding sooner. :blush:

Well I wanted to thank you as I did take your advice and yes the 1st day I was knackered and confused but I did get through it and have been doing it on a as when basis when required, since. it has got easier or like you recognised I feel more confident now.

So thanks once again :slight_smile: