Evening all

Just thought I’d say “Hello”. I’m awannabe at the mo. Based in West Yorkshire but originally from Scotland. I was mad on trucks as a lad, my best mate’s dad drove a Scania and I thought he was AWESOME. I even used to buy Trucking International as an 11 year old :blush:

Well now I’m 41 and fed up to the back teeth with my crappy IT job so looking into retraining. I’m not expecting to get rich but I think the thing that appeals to me is to have a clear objective in your job and just get on and do it. So my plan is to get Class 2 first, get some experience and then class 1 later. I’ve spoken to a local agency who reckon they can get jobs for class 2 drivers with no experience but that it’ll likely be “crappy” at first (older vehicles, lots of handballing loads off etc etc) until I get some experience.

One question is: how much can I expect to get done before I jack my current job in? I assume I can get medical, provisional and theory done?

Any and all words of encouragement/advice gratefully received.

didn’t think you need a medical till 45yo? could be wrong though…

Seems your like me, i am ready to go c training but have a terminally ill relative to see away first, so as not to interrrupt my driving and worry,i am pre 97 with c1 rights so have been able to everything except the 5 day drive, i even have a full periodical cpc blue card showing 5 years, and a new digi card to try at some unsuspecting company. Spoke to hauliers in my area as rog etc recommend all good here, 2 companies sent forms to fill out for direct employment when i have passed c which was suprising i didnt ask for them so looking good in the south east corner at least . One was p&h cage work and the other k.f.f.

Realistically you could do all the training while employed in your current job.

Might have to book a day of during the week for the medical. I’m sure the theory could be done on a weekend. If possible book a week off to do your C training.

Is it right that even after passing the test I have to do another 35 hours of Cpc training? Seems bonkers. Why not include it all in one big package since you’re a new driver?

ClamChowder:
Is it right that even after passing the test I have to do another 35 hours of Cpc training? Seems bonkers. Why not include it all in one big package since you’re a new driver?

The cpc module 4 will be done in one day and that will last you for 5 years. The module 4 test is a real test just like your lorry test so you can fail it

im in the same boat as you… someone above said you dont need to do a medical well you do… but i found the medical companies very flexible i managed to get a 5:40 appointment and drove up after work to shrewsbury, £50 i was done.

your cpc you need to do module 2 theory module 4 practical. i booked my theory/haz perc/module 2 back to back at my local theory centre, they just ran the tests one after another did all 3 in an hour and 10 mins and passed lol.

im doing everything whilst staying with my current job, my training is booked for 6th april with test on the 10th and awaiting my mod 4 date.

currently stuck in a very low paid job so just preying i pass! ive got my digi card and also bought a tomtom 5150 ready. ive also spoke to agencies and they all say theres plenty of work and there all short of drivers, ive messaged a few local companies havent heard anything back from them yet.

my personal wage expectation is take home £300 a week minimum, agencies seem to pay minimum of £8 per hour for class 2 drivers so i dont think im being unreasonable lol. interested to hear what everyone elses oppinion is on the state of play for new drivers, some people say theres a shortage some people say its very difficult to find work, just seems to be so many jobs advertised at the moment!

a lot more work advertised is class 1 but i need the class 2 job to raise the money for the class 1 course :slight_smile:

devonlad2009:

ClamChowder:

The cpc module 4 will be done in one day and that will last you for 5 years. The module 4 test is a real test just like your lorry test so you can fail it

Just been sent this by a respected training company in response to an e-mail about how to get started:

CLASS C

Provisional Licence Medical £50.00
Theory Study Material £30.00
Theory And Hazard Perception Test Fees £40.00

Driving Tuition 16 Hours One To One £730.00 + VAT
Driving Test Fee £115.00

OR

Driving Tuition 20 Hours One To One £870.00 + VAT
Driving Test Fee £115.00

PERIODIC CPC
( For drivers who passed their car test before 1997 )

35 Hours Classroom Based Tuition £325.00 + VAT
CPC Certificate Upload Fees £43.75

It all seems fine until we get to the CPC bit. It also doesn’t seem to chime with their website which seems to suggest that you don’t need to do Module 2 and 4 if you passed your test pre-1997.

It all seems totally confusing this CPC business.

Actually i think i see what it is… and some one please advise if I have this right.

If you passed your car test before 1997 then you don’t need to do Module 2 and 4, just the “Initial CPC”, BUT as soon as you pass your test your 35 hours in 5 years starts and they have included it because you may as well get it done early doors if you’re a newb. Get it done straight out the gate and then you don’t need to worry about it for 5 years?

One question is: how much can I expect to get done before I jack my current job in?

Play your cards right and you can practically get your class 2 licence whilst still in a full time employment doing that crappy IT job…Take a week off for the road training start Monday with a test Friday, nail it first time all good… fail it just book a day off and retake…

Once you got it then you can jump ship when you want but this depends on you and how much you need to live on per week / per month… get registered with as many agency’s as you can and see when and how the work comes in, as it varies from week to week… whilst looking for something more permanent but a question… would you be able to keep your hand in IT… Can you freelance as an option, it will help financially if there’s not much coming in from the agencies

ClamChowder:
Actually i think i see what it is… and some one please advise if I have this right.

If you passed your car test before 1997 then you don’t need to do Module 2 and 4, just the “Initial CPC”, BUT as soon as you pass your test your 35 hours in 5 years starts and they have included it because you may as well get it done early doors if you’re a newb. Get it done straight out the gate and then you don’t need to worry about it for 5 years?

You need the DCPC before you start driving HGVs, there are exemptions but that’s not going to be an issue.

Basically, because the rules recently changed you can now decide whether to do the 35 hours DCPC periodic training or the initial DCPC, the initial CPC will be much cheaper and you won’t have to sit in a classroom for 35 hours, but it does consist of two tests which can be failed so it’s up-to you to decide.

The rules have only changed in the past few weeks and the training company you contacted may not be aware of the changes yet.

tachograph:
Basically, because the rules recently changed you can now decide whether to do the 35 hours DCPC periodic training or the initial DCPC, the initial CPC will be much cheaper and you won’t have to sit in a classroom for 35 hours, but it does consist of two tests which can be failed so it’s up-to you to decide.

OK well I guess I prolly just need to get on with the early parts and worry about CPC later. Might fail my medical, then it’ll be back to the drawing board! :confused:

I am a big fan of Bearded Clam.

Any relative■■?

eagerbeaver:
I am a big fan of Bearded Clam.

Any relative■■?

:open_mouth: