MAN TGA - impressed!

Only ever driven one of these once before and that was only for a short time.

I had a MAN TG18-410A 4-legger for the past 3 days and have to say I really liked it :slight_smile: .

Especially impressed with how well the engine pulls. Also worthy of note is the excellent button operated exhaust brake which is comparable in strength to the stage 2 position on the early Volvo FH/FM models and of course arm rests on both sides of the seat which makes motorway cruising extremely comfortable.

I’ve never really played with the comfort shift button on the gear stick before but I have to say that I soon got used to it and found it especially useful when changing up from low to high splits and also going down the box with exhaust brake on; when it drops down a gear it re-engages the exhaust brake where it left off and in actual fact you can bring the truck from 56 to 1mph fairly quickly without even touching the brake or the clutch pedal :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: .

Wasn’t too keen on the foot brake though. I found that you were either braking fairly “firmly” or you weren’t braking at all. There didn’t seem to be an intermediate point where you could gently come to a stop. This got really annoying after a while as it gave the truck a kangarooing effect when coming to a stop :angry: .

I also didn’t like the fact that to close the doors you need to be built like He-Man. The doors weigh a bloody tonne and need some force to close them.

Also worthy of comment is the bunk. I found it very uncomfortable - perhaps the most uncomfortable bunk I’ve ever had to do a night out with. It dips down in the middle which I found really annoying and also some bizarre chunk of foam wedged down the back of it for no apparent reason which gets in the way of your legs if you sleep on your side along with the metal bar on the leading edge which holds the jobbie to stop you falling off it. A lot of room for improvement in my opinion.

Other than those few niggles I really liked it and would love a week with the XXL just to compare it to the Globe and XF.

:slight_smile:

i,ve got a 513 xxl and i love it to bits too me its comfy to drive easy controls a 6stage retarder fantastic…a fridge… love the bed never wont to get up in the morning… :smiley: the only prob i,ve had is the gearboxgox,i got a load of neatrels in the road works on the m6 so costed to a stop …flapped a bit… :open_mouth: :laughing: got a gear but showed 8th low but was more like 3 high got it off the next slip road 14 i think, the man dealer came out fitted a new bit on top of the box some were and its been fine,but true enough theres is room for improvement

We had two of them from Hill Hire before we got the Twingos,a couple of years ago Rob,and I was fortunate to have one of them,and loved it.18-410 4x2.

Another thing with the comfort shift,is,on the way up the gearbox,you don’t have to take your foot off the throttle,as the electronics cut the revs between gears,meaning you can keep the old right foot flat down,if you so wish.

Just drove an ERF version this week from our yard in Huddersfield to the dealer in Leeds,and apart from one or two differences in the cab,and the â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  engine,it was much the same.

Ken.

There didn’t seem to be an intermediate point where you could gently come to a stop. This got really annoying after a while as it gave the truck a kangarooing effect when coming to a stop .

Well there’s driver’s and screwdriver’s and guess which one your in. :laughing:

They are pure â– â– â–  imho :confused:

i think they are ok in fact i quite like them too. if i was given one i wouldnt shudder ( actros axor ) and i like the comfort shift button yep nice truck only problem is its to plasticly inside.

I know what you mean about being too plasticly m8,a FLT driver reversed in to my driver’s door and bent the hindge,when i went to see the fitters back at the depot they said that if they attempted to fix it and break any the plastic panel’s then they would need to replace them as well.So we had to take it to MAN to get them to sort it.

On another matter with one of our M.A.N.'s.( my old unit) One of the truck’s was involved in an accident yesterday on his way home from Gala,a car tried to overtake him and there where 2 car’s coming toward’s this overtaking car.The car driver ■■■■ himself and jumped in to early and hit the front step’s of the unit.This forced the car to do a few summersault’s and he got a 9.9 from the judges.The unit is all smashed in at the front and the grill is posted missing :laughing: but the main thing is the driver is ok.

i normally drive the ERF ECT which i think is the same unit (?) and i love it. get up to speed, flick the CC on and it away it goes. it even keeps itself below 60. at present, it is the best motor i have driven so far :smiley:

I like them but I am a bit biased, as I have driven them for 15 years from 321 to 463 and the TGA.

I cant fault the bunk either.

We had a choice at Transalliance and the vote was for the TGa but it came with a normal clutch. All the Scania drivers voted MAN and they are getting them delivered now