MAN Reviews

Hi All,

I’m interested to know what your opinions of MAN trucks are, specifically the TGL and TGX models and especially if you have driven the new range.

I’d be really interested to hear their good and bad points along with what you think of their standard of service, cab sizes and trim quality. How did they fair against other manufactures such as Scannia, Volvo and DAF? Are you an fleet manager that has operated a number of MAN vehicles and what did you like and dislike?

If you give give some truly impartial advice, I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks,

Gripen402

Well if its the same auto gear box in the TGA then good luck :imp:

First question, why?
I drove a 56 plate tga and now drive an 11 plate tgx from new.

well you see enough of them around,so they must be doing something right.i can only speak from a drivers point of view…but i reckon theyre a bit of a dark horse. theyre not as good as the big 2,but are easily as good as the others…probably better imho

DAF95XF:

I think the TGS/X boxes have improved from the TGA, much smoother & better fuel economy (provided you haven’t messed about with the standard software & motor does 90km/h). Interior is good but can get really tatty/worn if it’s fleet & changes hands too often. Sound system speakers not so good compared to scania, lovely driving position for big/tall, mirrors a bit too big for my liking but all electric even @ low spec(except front one), os deflector no good in strong winds when worn out & service is ok except one dealer I’ve had the misfortune of taking one into to get something sorted.
These motors are way better than things like axors, iveco etc imh…

Not driven one of ours (8w tippers) but their drivers love them. One is manual the other two autos but they’re all great off road and pull well. The (day) cabs are popular because of their size, the only complaint is the high tare weight.

dowahdiddyman:
First question, why?
I drove a 56 plate tga and now drive an 11 plate tgx from new.

I’m writing a review an want some honest answers and insight from drivers who have used these models on a regular basis and can compare them against other manufactures.

Its always good to understand what these modes are like to live with from day to day. Build quality, creature comforts, power and improvement you would make if you had a say.

Many thanks everyone, keep your views coming!

Gripen402

Pimpdaddy:

DAF95XF:

I think the TGS/X boxes have improved from the TGA, much smoother & better fuel economy (provided you haven’t messed about with the standard software & motor does 90km/h). Interior is good but can get really tatty/worn if it’s fleet & changes hands too often. Sound system speakers not so good compared to scania, lovely driving position for big/tall, mirrors a bit too big for my liking but all electric even @ low spec(except front one), os deflector no good in strong winds when worn out & service is ok except one dealer I’ve had the misfortune of taking one into to get something sorted.
These motors are way better than things like axors, iveco etc imh…

So what is it about the Scania that drivers love so much compared to MAN? General build quality, power? How would you go about addressing these issues if you had the opprtunity?

gripen402:
So what is it about the Scania that drivers love so much compared to MAN? General build quality, power? How would you go about addressing these issues if you had the opprtunity?

That Scania drivers are like BMW drivers, they have a rather over exaggerated view of their trucks :wink:

dew:

gripen402:

That Scania drivers are like BMW drivers, they have a rather over exaggerated view of their trucks :wink:

Ahh I see. It’s all about the badge rather than necessarily being any better than MAN trucks?

You can keep your recycled u boats, I’d rather have my over exaggerated Scania any day :wink: :wink:

I like scania because of the build quality, the driving comfort, king of the road status, good sound system, reliability & a good dealer network…

Use to drive a TGA xxxxxxxl and really liked it, the interior build quality is crap so is the steering but other than it was brilliant, if i was given a new TGX over the r series i drive i’d consider it an upgrade.

gripen402:

dew:

gripen402:

Ahh I see. It’s all about the badge rather than necessarily being any better than MAN trucks?

Got it in one Sunshine! Tbh I don’t think there’s a massive amount amongst all the trucks these days apart from the Hino’s and other small scale imports.

philberg182:
You can keep your recycled u boats, I’d rather have my over exaggerated Scania any day :wink: :wink:

On a personal note, wouldn’t mind a Scania if it looked like the one in your pic lol

Pimpdaddy:
I like scania because of the build quality, the driving comfort, king of the road status, good sound system, reliability & a good dealer network…

Good feedback thanks mate

DAF95XF:

I agree with this ^ . I drive the 480 engine model and they pull well, mirrors can be a hazard as they give you blind spots because they are so big, not a lot of storage space for tramping compared to some out there. Can take a while to build up air, too small an ad-blue tank and those stupid rear little windows that serve no purpose whatsoever and the curtains that barely cover those said windows. But they look good motors when cleaned up.
That’ll do for now.
Should of said we got the wide bodied ones and the mid height cabs.

The TGA I had was a wide cab, flat roof 430 auto. It was worked hard before I got it and wasnt the best truck in the world but as a work horse was second to none. The TGX ive got now is an xlx cab with a 440 and auto box. The box is a vast improvement on the previous one and I find it a really nice relaxing drive, select d hit the go pedal and away we go. Like all auto boxes it has its faults and every now and again forgets which gear its in and doesnt change down quick enough. Very good bunk, stupid coolbox/fridge, takes up to much floor space and is to easy to bash your leg on getting up and about in the morning. Servicing is pretty much hit and miss in my opinion, the dealers carry bugger all stock so if it needs something out of the ordinary it either a long wait or off the road for a day. The early ones we had, 10 plates didn`t have stone guards fitted so they sucked no end of dust/crap into the front of the intercoolers causing expensive repairs/downtime. Luckily they are on r+m.

gripen402:

philberg182:

On a personal note, wouldn’t mind a Scania if it looked like the one in your pic
lol

I just find MANs functional but basic compared to Scania and Volvo. The interior build quality isn’t in the same league and they won’t stand the test of time like Scania/Volvo. As an owner driver I wouldn’t consider buying one . . . . . .Sorry

Saaamon:
Use to drive a TGA xxxxxxxl and really liked it, the interior build quality is crap so is the steering but other than it was brilliant, if i was given a new TGX over the r series i drive i’d consider it an upgrade.

Really! Can you elaborate for me please? Why would you consider it an upgrade specifically?