MAN Reviews

philberg182:

gripen402:

philberg182:
You can keep your recycled u boats, I’d rather have my over exaggerated Scania any day :wink: :wink:

On a personal note, wouldn’t mind a Scania if it looked like the one in your pic
lol

I just find MANs functional but basic compared to Scania and Volvo. The interior build quality isn’t in the same league and they won’t stand the test of time like Scania/Volvo. As an owner driver I wouldn’t consider buying one . . . . . .Sorry

No that’s great to know. I drove the Scania 740 and the 430 last week and i have to say, thay are a lovely bit of kit! The 740 was a dream. I just want to know how much of Scania and Volvo’s reputation is hard earned and how much of it is purely down to preference.

Thanks again.

The amount of small hauliers and O/Ds that use Scania and Volvo must speak volumes for the two. I served my apprenticeship as a Volvo mechanic before moving on to a large Haulage company that run most of the main marques. The Scanias were the sought after vehicles in the fleet.
I run Scania because IMO it’s the best all round package, reliable , comfortable, and a good relationship with the local dealer who gives me a good service and I don’t ever recall needing a part that wasn’t in stock.
Try the above at the local MAN dealer. :unamused: :unamused:

philberg182:
The amount of small hauliers and O/Ds that use Scania and Volvo must speak volumes for the two. I served my apprenticeship as a Volvo mechanic before moving on to a large Haulage company that run most of the main marques. The Scanias were the sought after vehicles in the fleet.
I run Scania because IMO it’s the best all round package, reliable , comfortable, and a good relationship with the local dealer who gives me a good service and I don’t ever recall needing a part that wasn’t in stock.
Try the above at the local MAN dealer. :unamused: :unamused:

Very interesting! That is a very good consideration that I will certainly bare in mind. I have to say that i agree on the build front. Everything on the Scania seems to be bullet proof.

If I may ask you and anyone else another question then, as an operator, what about Total Cost of Ownership? Scania and Volvo are expensive to run? MAN are known for being economical and cheep to maintain? Is this true and have you found that your Scanias make up for that in other areas?

Thanks for all this great info mate.

I just upgraded from a 11 plate TVA xxl to an actros. Whilst the man drive nicely on motorway and easy to manoeuvre the gear box doesn’t respond as fast as likes of Volvo I shift or actros telegant. Inside apart from new dash the rest is same lay out as old man and crap compared to other trucks. But look nice on outside

commonrail:
well you see enough of them around,so they must be doing something right.i can only speak from a drivers point of view…but i reckon theyre a bit of a dark horse. theyre not as good as the big 2,but are easily as good as the others…probably better imho

You see enough of them around because they are cheap.I have driven an 04 man with the big cab on holiday relief and never liked it one bit.We have two 61 plate tgx and i dont like them neither.No go in them and the gearbox is slow.The cab rocks back and forth to much under acceleration.Mirrors have to be worst on the market you can lose a truck in them on approaching a roundabout.They are to numb for our job (bulk tippers).I asked for a premium and got on as for me its far better.

If fitted with satans automanual box, they are fine on the motorway or light RDC work, but ask them to do some serious heavy work and they’re not up to it, a far cry from the tough simple and durable lorries that bore the MAN badge years ago, about average for modern stuff if fitted with a manual box.

Engines have poor low speed lugging ability IMO, the auto gearbox has to be locked in snail mode if you need to make a tight turn from a standstill, otherwise when the bloody thing changes gear, which it does at the most inopportune moments, the engine doesn’t the guts to cope with the next higher gear and the whole thing comes to a standstill…yet another auto box that has to be overriden in manual if serious work involved.

Steering too low geared, can’t fathom why it needs to be with a ships helm filling half the cab in the place normally reserved for a steering wheel.

Compressor is a bad joke, couple of shunts with a tri axle trailer and the air’s gone, vehicle needs something approaching 10 minutes on fast 1000rpm idle to fully inflate if air lost.

Not been terribly reliable and parts back up hasn’t been great so far.

Couldn’t give a toss about the interior accomodation but the whole thing is flimsy with brittle plastic everwhere, switchgear tucked too low and silly Volkswagen inspired red dash backlighting means anyone over the age of 16 can’t read the switches at night, resulting in something i haven’t needed to do for bloody years, get me torch out and shine on the switches to see what they do, incredible for a modern design…helpfully the main interior light shines straight in your face blinding you and the roof lights are so dim you have a job to know if they’re on.

philberg182:
You can keep your recycled u boats, I’d rather have my over exaggerated Scania any day :wink: :wink:

:smiley: +1

Have ■■■■■■■ as an option and some ERF badges…
:stuck_out_tongue:

gripen402:

Saaamon:
Use to drive a TGA xxxxxxxl and really liked it, the interior build quality is crap so is the steering but other than it was brilliant, if i was given a new TGX over the r series i drive i’d consider it an upgrade.

Really! Can you elaborate for me please? Why would you consider it an upgrade specifically?

Im basing it on my experience of a tga xxxxxl but should imagine and would like to think a tgx is even better. The amount of space is epic it really is like being in a room as oposed to a truck, the size of the windscreen is a massive plus point for me aswell, its such a nice place to be on a sunny day with all that light coming through, use to get a tan on both arms, instead of the one lol. The bed is very big, you dont have to pull the seats forward or anything like that. The seat is extremely comfortable, loads of adjustment, i wouldnt go for leather though personally. The engines are exellent, use to run top weight all the time and even with a 440 it still went ok, a 530 i drove you could overtake on singles at 44t safely.

The not so good bits i’d say are, they lose air quickly when not running (hardly a problem though), steering wheel is abit big and can give quite a indirect feel at speed, its a long climb to get in one and the steps arent the best so not really ideal for multi drop, the build quality isnt terrible but its along way off a scania, just doesnt quite have that solid feel.

Between a new R series topline and a TGX xxxxxl, TGX without thought.

We ran 6 tga 430’s on trunking, in 3yrs they all clocked between 650-700,000 kms none of them had any major mechanical issues, interior trim was a bit flimsy and door hinges are weak but in general they gave just as good service as the Volvo FH’s or Daf xf’s. I found them quite comfortable to drive.

philberg182:

gripen402:

philberg182:

On a personal note, wouldn’t mind a Scania if it looked like the one in your pic
lol

I just find MANs functional but basic compared to Scania and Volvo. The interior build quality isn’t in the same league and they won’t stand the test of time like Scania/Volvo. As an owner driver I wouldn’t consider buying one . . . . . .Sorry

^^^^^^^^^^^This one. MAN must know there weakness,surely an odd customer has mentioned it but still they build mean and nasty truck’s. :blush:

The only real experience I have had was with tescos batch at Livingston , nice enough motors but poor trim most had door pockets missing vents missing etc
Altho I loved it when they had the manual with comfort shift !
Wee had the new MAN in just 2 months ago (full auto) very nice but got the feeling it was the exact same build quality just wasn’t quiet right , and for god sake would someone please tell the people in charge at MAN to change that massive steering !!!
Didn’t think it got great fuel return , but wee only had it a week !

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75641

People go on about the gearbox but i never found it a problem, you just have to learn how it works, you have to get involved with it, change it yourself when required, keep it rolling on approach to roundabouts so it stays in gear etc, i struggle to understand why so many people have an issue with it, i suspect its peoples reluctence to adapt their driving style.

gripen402:

gripen402:
On a personal note, wouldn’t mind a Scania if it looked like the one in your pic lol

No that’s great to know. I drove the Scania 740 and the 430 last week and i have to say, thay are a lovely bit of kit! The 740 was a dream. I just want to know how much of Scania and Volvo’s reputation is hard earned and how much of it is purely down to preference.

Seems to me like Mr Gripen has already written his piece.

Stan

Saaamon:
People go on about the gearbox but i never found it a problem, you just have to learn how it works, you have to get involved with it, change it yourself when required, keep it rolling on approach to roundabouts so it stays in gear etc, i struggle to understand why so many people have an issue with it, i suspect its peoples reluctence to adapt their driving style.

I guess you haven’t driven one that’s been messed about with then… I had a go in a 58 TGS 6x2 limited to 51mph, the smallest incline & it couldn’t decide what gear it wants to be in, you couldn’t switch it to manual to hold the gear you want/need, the only function that still worked(for the driver)on the stalk was to change up/down but always stayed in auto so totally useless…

i was given a new truck last week its a 62 reg tgx 440 love the truck its just the small ad blue tank that lets it down i now carry 2x 10 of ad blue in the side bin as i believe the ad blue is burning at the same rate as the diesel and its only returning at the minute 8.5 to the gall

Saaamon:

cant say as ive had a problem either.it`s not as precise as i shift…but at the end of the day you just get in,press drive and go :sunglasses: .
am i right in thinking audi/volkswagen used to own man…if so, do they still :question:

Juddian:
If fitted with satans automanual box, they are fine on the motorway or light RDC work, but ask them to do some serious heavy work and they’re not up to it, a far cry from the tough simple and durable lorries that bore the MAN badge years ago, about average for modern stuff if fitted with a manual box.

Engines have poor low speed lugging ability IMO, the auto gearbox has to be locked in snail mode if you need to make a tight turn from a standstill, otherwise when the bloody thing changes gear, which it does at the most inopportune moments, the engine doesn’t the guts to cope with the next higher gear and the whole thing comes to a standstill…yet another auto box that has to be overriden in manual if serious work involved.

Steering too low geared, can’t fathom why it needs to be with a ships helm filling half the cab in the place normally reserved for a steering wheel.

Compressor is a bad joke, couple of shunts with a tri axle trailer and the air’s gone, vehicle needs something approaching 10 minutes on fast 1000rpm idle to fully inflate if air lost.

Not been terribly reliable and parts back up hasn’t been great so far.

Couldn’t give a toss about the interior accomodation but the whole thing is flimsy with brittle plastic everwhere, switchgear tucked too low and silly Volkswagen inspired red dash backlighting means anyone over the age of 16 can’t read the switches at night, resulting in something i haven’t needed to do for bloody years, get me torch out and shine on the switches to see what they do, incredible for a modern design…helpfully the main interior light shines straight in your face blinding you and the roof lights are so dim you have a job to know if they’re on.

I don’t have experience of the manual box, but I absolutely agree with everything else said above.

I liked the manuals with comfort shift because I’m 100% in control of the transmission. Does anybody still operate them? Last ones we had were 56reg ERFs…