Long shift on Wednesday

started at 6 am on Wednesday at Podimore services,went to tip at cheddar then a reload out of Ilchester,both load and tip were over 3 hours long.I left Ilchester for Felixstowe at 5:15 p.m hoping to get to Clacket lane by 9 which was possible if the roads were good

As it happens they were,sailed up the A303 straight up the M3 and onto the Anti-clockwise M25.
saw a sign saying M25 closed between 6-5.
So without pulling my map out whilst driving I thought that this was the M25/26 split and Orpington
BUT it was’nt it was Godstone to M25/26.
thing was is after I saw the first sign the subsequent signs were blank,so I also assumed that as most of the time the signs were still flashing for something that may of happened earlier as I’d heard nothing on the last traffic report.I also thought that I would be at Clacket lane by 8:25 so had 35 minutes for a hold up :wink:

Well,long story short I hit the traffic just after the M23 and was too late to divert down it,not that there is any secure parking round there.

I finished at 2 am,5 hours over my time and on 6hrs 48 driving without a break,(it would of been obviously more as I left Ilchester at 5:15)was diverted along the A25 but did’nt get off at junction 6 til 12am :unamused:

couple of Issues though I contemplated in my time stuck in traffic was:

Why cant the authorities actually do something to divert/control the traffic instead of letting it NOT sort itself out whilst sitting there doing nothing,seems to me they’ll shut a road for a piece of litter on it nowadays(although there was a fatality where this one was concerned)
and I’d say over 80% of the lorries in the queue were foreign,a lot of em parked on the hard shoulder with their curtains shut.not that I’ve got any thing against most of them but it did seem rather a lot to me :unamused: