London Emission Zone

Hi
Has anyone been fined for going into the LEZ with a euro 1 or 2 engine without paying the £200 and if so what was the fine

I had a driver enter the LEZ a little while after it was introduced, he didn’t realise and I think the fine was £500 reduced to £200 if paid within 7 days. Its been a little while so don’t quote me on those figures!!

Are you expecting a fine then■■?

Thanks for your reply, no i am not expecting a fine, it just seems strange to me that i have never read anything about anyone being fined, I only go into the zone about 8-10 times a year and as i have a euro 3 engine to fit a filter costing about £4000 and that will only last till 2014 it seems that if the fine is £200 i might as well pay up front or risk getting caught and still pay £200

I know what you are saying. I have several lorries that are LEZ compliant and looked at getting the others converted. When the costings came through it made more sense to just keep the compliant ones on the London work and just put £200 on any other work that came in.

I am in a slightly easier position as I am in removals so everything is planned a couple of weeks in advance and know when I need Lorries in London and so can add £200 to a quote should it coincide when a non LEZ truck has to be used.

Whether or not if you continually went in to the LEZ without paying the fine would increase I couldn’t help you with but for the sake of a phone call it might be the way to go. Lets face it, you have to do a lot of London to justify £4000 !!

James

Hi
I am in removals too, I have 4 vans and i have been looking at buying a euro 4 chassis (as i would get a new body made) but the cost of a 56 plate euro 3 and 57 euro 4 is about £4-5 grand difference so you can not win unless you go for a euro 5 and as most small removers the mileage is low it does not justify the extra expence. its like Bob Dylan sang “some rob you with a shotgun and some with a fountain pen”
Bob

I bit the bullet about 18 months ago and ordered a new Euro 5 scania with the body from UVB. Just under £90 K on the road. In fairness with the volume of London work we do I could justify it. I also put it on R & M as we normally use a garage local to us. It gave me something to compare the garage to as well as keeping them on their toes pricing wise.

In the time we have had it, I think it was 100% the right thing to do and don’t regret it. It has gone someway to making me re-think the way we purchase. Ordinarilly we would buy a 3-4 year old chassis and put a new body on it like yourselves, but by buying brand new, you can finance it over a longer period of time, safe in the knowledge that even when the finance has been paid there will still be plenty of life left in it.

I to bit the bullet and purchas ged a euro five vechile with a full r and m i am covinced aswell it was the rite thing to do all this 4 or 5 graned on after market filters is just a waste of money at the end of the day your still stuck with an old moter you’d be much better off using the 5 grand to go towards a new truck if your work is profitable which it should be it is worth investing in new kit as the older your moter gets the more it will cost to change i no every ones circumstances are different but in my opinion you need the right tool for the job

monarch of the highway:
I to bit the bullet and purchas ged a euro five vechile with a full r and m i am covinced aswell it was the rite thing to do all this 4 or 5 graned on after market filters is just a waste of money at the end of the day your still stuck with an old moter you’d be much better off using the 5 grand to go towards a new truck if your work is profitable which it should be it is worth investing in new kit as the older your moter gets the more it will cost to change i no every ones circumstances are different but in my opinion you need the right tool for the job

Hows the job going to date after the newer truck went to work?
round these parts on your type of work your looking at 2k to 2.5k per week earnings and 50% plus for fuel so after running costs and finance there’s only just a wage left!!
just a thought as i still dont know what to do about the lez myself
moose

jdc:
I know what you are saying. I have several lorries that are LEZ compliant and looked at getting the others converted. When the costings came through it made more sense to just keep the compliant ones on the London work and just put £200 on any other work that came in.

I am in a slightly easier position as I am in removals so everything is planned a couple of weeks in advance and know when I need Lorries in London and so can add £200 to a quote should it coincide when a non LEZ truck has to be used.

Whether or not if you continually went in to the LEZ without paying the fine would increase I couldn’t help you with but for the sake of a phone call it might be the way to go. Lets face it, you have to do a lot of London to justify £4000 !!
James

What about the effect on residual value of said truck…

dave_k:

jdc:

James

What residual value :frowning: :frowning: in 2 years time they will be out of date again.

Let Londoners have they’re LEZ and " let em pay or let them starve " :laughing: :laughing:

annitram:

dave_k:

jdc:

James

What residual value :frowning: :frowning: in 2 years time they will be out of date again.

Let Londoners have they’re LEZ and " let em pay or let them starve " :laughing: :laughing:

Pleae let me know where I can get a trap from for 4K …

john boy pm me in the week i might have what your looking for
regards paul

Can anyone find a link to show that the London LEZ goes up to euro5 in 2014?

Not sure if this just crossed wires as several “Pundits” I’ve spoken to reckon they (TFL) haven’t even discussed the next increase… :question:

I still see a couple of irish 143 scanias regularly heading for smithfield. Hopefully the fridge motors meet euro3…

Cheers
Neilf

Moose:

monarch of the highway:

Hows the job going to date after the newer truck went to work?
round these parts on your type of work your looking at 2k to 2.5k per week earnings and 50% plus for fuel so after running costs and finance there’s only just a wage left!!
just a thought as i still dont know what to do about the lez myself
moose

The trucks going fine n i def rate it ova the daf earnings wise yr bt rite with 2 to2 n half fuel id say is bt 40% as for the effects bt the lez wnt really no till it comes in but iv invested in new kit and many others havnt so i will be demanding extra money if im to take my vechile inside the zone adblue consimption is bt 45 liters a week but road tax nly 700 a year