LGV to PCV

Hi

Not sure if any of the instructors on here are also PCV trainers but if you don’t ask…

I want to get the restrictions removed for driving minibuses on my license. As I already have my HGV lisence I thought that instead of taking a minibus test why not just go for the full cat D license. How hard can it be? :confused:

I was just wondering:

1. How is the test any different to the HGV test?

2. The training company is trying to convince me to take a 5 day course. I think a one day course just to get into the ‘test-frame-of-mind’ would be enough as I have been driving HGV for years. Is this realistic?

3. As I currently have my C+E would I automaticaly get my D+E?

4. Would I need to do a new theory test?

Thanks

I am NOT a PCV holder or trainer.
If your last medical was over 1 year ago then that will need to be taken but after the initial one the two can be joined together.
The PCV theory has specific questions for buses so I ASSUME that would be different and need to be taken again along with the HPT.
As my C+E gave me D1+E then I can see no logical reason why getting D would not give you D+E - but stand to be corrected cos the DSA work in mysterious ways :unamused: :unamused:

1. The training company is trying to convince me to take a 5 day course. I think a one day course just to get into the ‘test-frame-of-mind’ would be enough as I have been driving HGV for years. Is this realistic?

I have trained seasoned PCV drivers and they needed a full course to pass LGV.

1. The test uses the same routes as LGV and the main differnec is that you have to pull up at bus stops in the correct position.

2. To be fair a 5 day course would not seem unreasonable - i doubt any organisation wold do you any less.

3. When you pass your D, you would get D+E.

4. Yes you have to do another theory test.

There are very few training companies that actually do D training BTW. Although I have taught D in the past, the company that I do work for at present don’t do D training.

Rog says you may also need a medical, but if you have cat D provisional on your licence already you won’t.

The D1 minibus test is the same, but there is more chance of getting a minibus to test in.

Thanks for the info.

I have my D provisional already so at least I don’t need the medical.

Its all sounding like a lot of effort though!

Apex in peterborough do cat D. I still think I might try and get through the test without the full course. Its just a case of convincing them they want to let me (not sure that I will win that one). Maybe I’ll book a 1hr assessment and see how it goes.

madtrucker:
Hi

I have been driving HGV for years. Is this realistic?

Probably too many years, and too many bad habits. Buses tend to have front axle set further back and therefore more overhang on the front. Something that you would need to consider on every (right) turn is the height of the kerb. From what I’ve heard, a favourite for failing is not applying the parking brake before operating the doors at (supposed) bus stops.
:open_mouth:

madtrucker:
Thanks for the info.

I have my D provisional already so at least I don’t need the medical.

Its all sounding like a lot of effort though!

Apex in peterborough do cat D. I still think I might try and get through the test without the full course. Its just a case of convincing them they want to let me (not sure that I will win that one). Maybe I’ll book a 1hr assessment and see how it goes.

Hughes in Loughborough Leics do cat D :slight_smile:

madtrucker:
Apex in peterborough do cat D.

If you go 10 threads down, you might be in for a shock. :open_mouth:

Whether or not it is the same company, I’m unsure, but I’d immediately mark you down on ‘observation and awareness’.

:smiley:

Apex is where I used to train PCV. Book your asessement with them and see what they say? Test fee is now £105 (well from April actually)so you really want to make sure you are going to pass, and if you don’t then it will be another 4 hours minimum training period to pay as well. BTW the pass rate for PCV is lower than LGV - and thats low enough!, which does go to show that its not as easy as you may think.

Krankee:

madtrucker:
Apex in peterborough do cat D.

If you go 10 threads down, you might be in for a shock. :open_mouth:

Whether or not it is the same company, I’m unsure, but I’d immediately mark you down on ‘observation and awareness’.

:smiley:

Thanks for this but…

Apex Training Services in Peterborough is NOT the same company. I did my C and CE with this company and I would highly recommend them

(I’m sure Boston LGV is just as good, Smart Mart :smiley: )

When did u do your training madtrucker?

Smart Mart:
When did u do your training madtrucker?

Did my CE with Dave last october ish and my C a few years ago with Stuart

Not one of mine then - I left Apex end of December 2004. So you know all about the co-op then :smiley:

Hi madtrucker,
I,unfortunately, have driven buses for a living for the past 29 years, having been a wagon driver for 10 years back in the 70’s. I went onto the buses because of a back injury. The firm I work for (First group :frowning: :frowning: ) have had lots of drivers making the change to buses from wagons, and most seem to be put up for their test fairly quickly by the training school, as they are used to handling large vehicles already (as you state). The PCV test varies in that the examiner is not just looking to see how you can handle the vehicle, but how you do this with the comfort and safety of passengers in mind as well. For example, when you do the emergency stop procerdure you don’t just have to bring the vehicle to a stop in as short a distance as possible, you have to do it with the safety of your pasengers in mind as well (I know, this sounds like a contadiction and it is!:lol:). There are other considerations as well, like the long front and rear overhang, to be taken into accont when pulling away from the kerb etc. None of it is rocket science, but I have to say that not all drivers coming from the wagons make it through their test first time (as you might have thought they would).
As Rog has said, you should get D+E when you do pass the test for D. As far as I am aware there is no separate test for a bendy-bus (Hey, who said bus driving had to make sense, and if you get into it you will find that it doesn’t :laughing: :laughing: )
The theory test is also different from the LGV theory test.

was just wondering:

1. How is the test any different to the HGV test?

2. The training company is trying to convince me to take a 5 day course. I think a one day course just to get into the ‘test-frame-of-mind’ would be enough as I have been driving HGV for years. Is this realistic?

3. As I currently have my C+E would I automaticaly get my D+E?

4. Would I need to do a new theory test?

I am also a PCV instructor as well as LGV instructor and find that a lot of truck drivers think it is not worth taking a course for PCV but they are so wrong.
To begin with its a completely different vehicle to what you are used to so you will need the time to get used to it and make sure you are back into the proper standard of driving for the test.
The test itself is pretty much the same although you do have to stop properly at bus stops quiet a few times. You also have to make sure the examiner knows that you are capable of driving the vehicle smoothly with consideration to the passengers. Truckers carry good, coaches carry live people.
You also have to be aware of the extra rules that apply to busses and coaches. Like having to carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
The examiners used to ask a lot of questions as to passenger safety but I think that has changed with the new rulings and theory tests.
You will have to take a theory test but if you already have ‘D’ provisional on your licence I dont think you will need a medical.

(Done D in December)

Wheels in a different place. Can be a bit more tail swing at the back (as my examiner shouted out - put me off! - but I passed). Pretend bus stop stops. PCV safety questions (fire extinguishers, first aid box, pointing out emergency exits and the like). Smoother drive watched for (passengers complain unlike baked beans).

As said before, CE automatically upgrades to DE. A bendy whilst articulated, isn’t disconnectable so is classed as D. A manual lorry licence should upgrade an auto D licence. (If manual vocational test is done in C or D, then it covers the other).

Brakes on the Dennis coach I drove where very sharp, indeed one of the front windows had recently been replaced after an instructor was sent for a flier!

Theory is different, but not much. On the CD there were over a 1000 questions (entire question bank), a couple of hundred were PCV and a couple of hundred were LGV, the rest were common to all large vehicles. HPT clips same as all cateogories.

I also teach PCV and LGV and would agree with Mothertrucker, these are different animals. In my experience the examiners tend to be a lot less lenient when conducting PCV tests. As for the length of course required, it should be evident after an assessment drive (to both you and your instructor). Five days is about average, 1:1 no more than four hours daily.