How easy is it to get your bus license

when you’ve already got c+e?

Would I need a medical and theory test?
Would I get D+E automatically?
In regards actually attaining the license, does having c+e give any shortcuts? From what I can gather, hgv CPC counts for pcv too.

You been on indeed by any chance :wink:

You would need a new theory test for that class of vehicle.

Whether you need another medical or not depends entirely on whether you ticked the box for “D” when you applied for provisional LGV.

Can’t answer for gaining the DE licence though I would expect so. LGV can upgrade PCV but not the other way round about. I’d assume that as you already hold the “higher” category LGV you’d get it… I dare say one of the trainers will be along shortly to confirm!

Passing D when already got CE gets DE automatically
You also get D manual if passing in D auto

Medical needed if not got D provisional on licence - check to see if you have on Govt site = gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Have you got a pre 97 car licence ?

ROG:
Passing D when already got CE gets DE automatically
You also get D manual if passing in D auto

Medical needed if not got D provisional on licence - check to see if you have on Govt site = gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Have you got a pre 97 car licence ?

Cheers Rog and others.

No provisional entitlement on my licence and I passed pre 97. I’m assuming there’s some grandfather rights to do with CPC.

you will need your theory and medical iirc…and you will get your d+e too.

the only short cut will be your use to the size.

cpc wont count for the beginning though, mod 2&4.

iv done the opp way round to you (having already got cat D)

p.s…DONT DO IT…shocking wages, hours are crap, get treat like crap

I may be wrong but as you passed your test pre 97 I believe you won’t need to do mod 2 & 4 as you already have a current cpc that includes it and will have been kept current as you’ve done your 35 hours for when you’ve been driving hgvs

The D1 (101) on your licence can count as acquired rights for PCV DCPC but you need to invoke it by emailing cpcre@dsa.gsi.gov.uk
That means you do not have to do pcv initial mods 2 + 4
The PCV dcpc entitlement then gets added to your current LGV expiry date with a new DQC issued to you

ROG:
The D1 (101) on your licence can count as acquired rights for PCV DCPC but you need to invoke it by emailing cpcre@dsa.gsi.gov.uk
The PCV dcpc entitlement then gets added to your current LGV expiry date with a new DQC issued to you

I already have the D1 & D1E does that mean I would only need to do the practical part for the full D category■■?

TheNewBoy:
I already have the D1 & D1E does that mean I would only need to do the practical part for the full D category■■?

Assuming you have D1 (101) rather than full D1 (i.e. you only have grandfather rights from a pre-1997 car licence) then no, you’ll have to do the theory and hazard perception test (now called CPC module 1 I believe).

If you don’t already have Provisional D on your licence, you’ll also need to have a medical to get it added, unless you have recently done an LGV medical (within the last year, I believe)

I took my D test last year and can confirm that, if you have CE, you also get DE automatically when you add D. However, my situation was slightly different as I had full category D1 (minibus) from passing a “proper” minibus test in 2002, so I didn’t have to redo the theory and hazard perception tests, or get a medical.

TheNewBoy:

ROG:

No - you need to do PCV modules 1a theory + 1b HPT + 3 practical