Bus MMTM Advice needed

MMTM That if you hold a Class 1 and you pass the PSV test in an automatic bus, you get a manual PSV licence. Is it also true that C+E + D = D+E without doing a D+E test?

I don’t want to drive a bus, I just want to fill the last annoying gap on my licence.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Ha ha. I’ve been wanting to do the same if I had any spare money, which I don’t. I do know that D becomes D+E, but not sure about the auto to manual.

That is true even if you have a C licence you could take a bus test in an auto.bus and be granted a manual bus licence.If you hold a C+E LICENCE you get the full D+E licence.The thinking is you have shown your prowess with a commercial gearbox so you dont have to do it a second time.H.T.H.People with a 2 pedal licence are known as TEFAL drivers ,because they are non-stick.

Thanks chaps! Might get one of those big bottles to put change in and see if I have enough for the course when it’s full.

Love the TEFAL name, it made me LOL! :laughing:

Hmmmm, very tempting.

Really want a full set, only thing that puts me off is yet another theory test.

I do know that IF you already hold an auto. PCV licence & THEN take a standard Cat. C LGV test (in a manual truck) the auto PCV restriction is removed from the Cat. D licence, then you can drive manual PCV’s.

Not sure if you get a manual PCV licence if you already hold Cat. C or C+E & THEN take a PCV test in an automatic bus■■?

Also not sure if you pass C+E whether that also upgrades a D licence into a D+E■■?

TBH, if you ever considered bus & coach driving there’s not many 3-pedal motors about these days, only in the fleets of small independent firms.

I passed my D before my C and it was restricted to autos. On passing my C in a manual the auto restriction was removed from my D.
On passing my C + E the + E entitlement was automatically added to my D
In short your answer is yes.
The only thing with it is on my licence photocard it shows my passing date of my D as 2004 (when I did my C test), not 1999 when I actually passed my D. You have to look at the paper licence where the original date is in a column for superseded categories to get the actual date I passed in the auto.

I already had a Class 1 (or C+E as it now seems to be), and when I passed my PSV
or whatever it is now in a bus with auto box my licence came back as D+E.
You do not need a D+E to drive a bendybus, an ordinary D will do.
Also, I can drive a bus with manual box - I phoned Swansea to check this.
I’m not sure what would happen if I let my C+E lapse, but as I no longer drive buses this
is irrelevant, to me at least. HTH.

WETBEHINDTHELUGS:
TBH, if you ever considered bus & coach driving there’s not many 3-pedal motors about these days, only in the fleets of small independent firms.

But there are alot of those smaller firms!! And believe it or not they are crying out for drivers with unrestricted (manual) PCV licence. They are becoming a rarity/commodity because they are not being tested in manuals & haven’t been for a good number of years. This is mainly thanks to the big ‘service bus’ companies only putting their candidates through the automatic two-pedal test.

So am I right in thinking then a person who holds an auto car licence can take a manual lgv test and pass then drive a manual car?

I drive buses and the drivers talk some…What they think is fact would impress the t…ossers at any RDC.You dont need a D+E for a bendy bus as it doesnt come apart in service.I sometimes drive a road train A cartoon train with 2 passenger carriages.It doesnt come apart in use either.There are some ESSO drivers out there .They have Every Sat.and Sunday Off.

Daz1970:

WETBEHINDTHELUGS:

But there are alot of those smaller firms!! And believe it or not they are crying out for drivers with unrestricted (manual) PCV licence. They are becoming a rarity/commodity because they are not being tested in manuals & haven’t been for a good number of years. This is mainly thanks to the big ‘service bus’ companies only putting their candidates through the automatic two-pedal test.

I’m not sure it’s a new thing for bus companies to only do the two pedal test. When I started in 1980 the company put me through the double Decker auto test and then you could opt to take the all types test/course in your own time, they paid for the test and ran the course. Can’t remember details now but it was a very very old bus, crash box etc. The good old days when they were public service vehicles as opposed to passenger carrying vehicles.

Essexboy:
So am I right in thinking then a person who holds an auto car licence can take a manual lgv test and pass then drive a manual car?

Don’t see why not although I don’t know a definitive answer for this.

alamcculloch:
That is true even if you have a C licence you could take a bus test in an auto.bus and be granted a manual bus licence.If you hold a C+E LICENCE you get the full D+E licence.The thinking is you have shown your prowess with a commercial gearbox so you dont have to do it a second time.H.T.H.People with a 2 pedal licence are known as TEFAL drivers ,because they are non-stick.

In Cornwall it was Teflon licence (same thing…non stick)

Driver holds auto B and then passes manual C - that gets manual B
Driver then goes on to pass manual C+E and auto D in any order - that gets the driver all of the following in manual …
B B+E C1 C1+E C C+E D1 D1+E D D+E
All the C and D categories are subject to ongoing medicals but B and B+E are not

I knew Rog would have the answer.
I gained D+E when I did my C+E because I already had D.

Thankyou Semtex, I got the brands mixed up and should have typed Teflon.