Questions about proceedure

Hiya Folks

So, I’ve got a Cat D (Bus & Coach) on automatic vehicles. If I’m interested in taking my LGV/HGV do I need to get the theory/cpc done again, specific for the trucks?

I’d think I do because my theory/cpc was specific for buses and coaches, but I thought I’d ask as well.

Also, what sort of time frame would it take from first applying for things to actually the first date I can go for actual in the cab training?

TIA :wink:

Hi. To start from the beginning, you will need a medical (if it’s more than 12 months since you had one) and get a provisional Cat C on your licence. From there:
Theory training
Theory tests
Prac training
Prac test

You will need driver cpc unless you already hold a C1 having passed your car test prior to Jan 1997.

Once you have your driver cpc for goods, any periodic training you complete for either bus or truck will also count for the other. In other words, you only complete 1 lot of 35 hours periodic training in the 5 year period.

If you are doing all the above, expect incab training from around end Jan if all goes well. If you already hold the provisional, then this could be a couple of weeks earlier.

Hope this helps. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i believe theres a conversion test to do, which as far as im aware covers the specific questions for the category you want to add. i remember seeing it as when i booked my theory tests up a few months ago

I got my Cat D towards the end of 2008 and got my CPC then but I have been doing periodic training within the company too WRT PCV/PSV.

I’ve already got a provisional for Cat A, C, DE, D1E, GH and it seems the first time I tried for my Cat C was in 2003, with getting my provisional DE/D1E in 2008 which I would think would be for minibuses.

:unamused: Thanks for your replies though :wink: