Lgv hazard perception help!

Hi people !

New to here as you may see

Done my hazard perception today and got 31 out 100

Said I had 0 on 12 clips ! ( so as you can imagine something not right )

Pretty annoyed as I seen all hazards in time and click and I can’t see where I could of gone wrong ?

Is there a chance I clicked too soon if that makes sense ?

Any help would be appreciated thanks !

Yes, as an experienced driver you are seeing the hazard sooner than a new driver. I had the same problem. Get some software ( there is one for lgv and pcv which has 100’s of clips and theory) this well give you practice but also you can play back each clip showing when you clicked and when the video wanted you to click.
You really have to dumb down your urge to click and click more than once.

So say there is a man looking to cross, click then when he steps out click then click again.

Plenty of practice clips on line and some good stuff for android.

Good luck !!

I seem to remember when I did mine,if you tried to ‘blag it’ by clicking at the incorrect time,a red flag symbol came up.

From memory,if you got 5 flags on the clip,you get a zero score. Did you notice any red flags■■?

Adam27:
Yes, as an experienced driver you are seeing the hazard sooner than a new driver. I had the same problem. Get some software ( there is one for lgv and pcv which has 100’s of clips and theory) this well give you practice but also you can play back each clip showing when you clicked and when the video wanted you to click.
You really have to dumb down your urge to click and click more than once.

So say there is a man looking to cross, click then when he steps out click then click again.

Plenty of practice clips on line and some good stuff for android.

Good luck !!

Ahh cheers makes me feel better, I couldn’t actually believe it when I seen I failed as I couldn’t make out what went wrong . I

I have a look now cheers !

Yeah I didn’t click enough I don’t think didn’t want to click more incase it got be a lower score if I clicked again if that make sense .

I’m sure I’ll smash it next time !

eagerbeaver:
I seem to remember when I did mine,if you tried to ‘blag it’ by clicking at the incorrect time,a red flag symbol came up.

From memory,if you got 5 flags on the clip,you get a zero score. Did you notice any red flags■■?

Yeah well course I had a few flags as it says click when you see a poteninal hazard eg pedestrians cars etc …

Like I’ve said I think I clicked before I should have and not in the before the scoring zone for quiet a lot of them as you can tell from getting 31 .

The red flags appear once for each click. They indicate that a click has been recorded so they are nothing bad. Don’t click in a repetitive manor or you will score zero for cheating.

I had the same problem as you with regards to the Hazard Perception test. A few weeks before the test I got some v.useful software which used real life clips and for the first couple of attempts I was getting nowhere - however, with practise I kept improving and on the day of the test, I managed 79/100 and passed. I did lose points on one clip for clicking in a pattern :blush: but I found the CGI clips in the test so much easier than the RL ones. And yes, it’s easy to click too early so I tended to click once, wait a second then click again just to make sure. My results were as follows:

On the double hazard clip you scored 6
On 8 clips you scored 5
On 6 clips you scored 4
On 3 clips you scored 3
On 1 clip you scored 0

So, basically - don’t click too early, click a couple of times for each hazard seen & don’t click in a pattern

p.s. I also got 95/100 on the theory test on the same day so well chuffed :laughing:

Just keep practising and you’ll get it, its easy

As people say, practice and you’ll be fine, I used a training disk, first go and I got mid 30s too, but do a couple and you’ll soon learn when and how to click, I usually clicked 2 or 3 times per hazard to make sure it registered and I passed on Thursday with 93/100, the cgi does make it a bit easier, although it dis give me a bit of a head ache!

Good luck, you’ll get there!!

I practiced on. a Ipad app which was very good I got a 98% pass

But at first I was spotting them to soon plus I didnt know at first I could click a number of times aswel , Practice makes perfect as they say

Wait until you do the Module 2 CPC :laughing: :laughing: that ones just daft IMO :wink:

good luck next time

Hey rob,

It sounds like you have the reasoning behind the low score sorted.
Make the changes you, and other posters have recognized as being the problem, and you will be fine.

Just to clarify about the red flags as someone seemed to suggest they were ‘bad’ - no, they are in fact purely there to indicate that your ‘click’ has been registered by the system. They tell you nothing about whether you are over-clicking or not.

I personally think this particular test is a bad way to test this kind of knowledge - with its implementation being less than intuitive.
They want you to click on all potential hazards, yet only 1 will develop (and get you your marks) - but then they warn you about over-clicking so that’s in the back of your mind.
With some of the clips, you are barely into it and there’s the hazard - others you are staring for what seems like ages, desperately trying not to blink so you don’t miss anything :open_mouth:
Then there’s some hazards where everything literally happens in a second or so - and so the scoring bands are so narrow that getting a 5 is nigh on impossible.
On others the hazard develops at a literal snails pace and it is consequently so easy to click far too early and score 0 - i.e. your problem.

One thing I am pleased to hear is the introduction of the new CGI version of the test. I am personally happy to be doing this version rather than the old video one as I always found the clips quite hard to watch due to their lack of resolution and inherent pixelation of things happening in the distance.
From the examples I have seen the CGI clips seem to be much clearer and more ‘vivid’.

The reason I am saying this with confidence is that I also am preparing for the LGV Theory and H.P. tests.
After buying the Focus DVD to swot up, I was having the very same problems when I started doing the Hazard Perception section.
When I started to review the clips to see what the problem was - yup, you guessed it, clicking too early (thinking I had registered the hazard and not wanting to click again and fall foul of any ‘anti-cheating’ algorithm).
Outcome = 0 points
Do this on just a few questions and you really hurt your chances of passing.

I would say that anyone with a good amount of driving experience could easily fall into this trap - as well as those that go along without having done any practice and so are unaware as to how the system works.

Still, the test is there and has to be passed so there is no point debating it as such.
Just gotta refine that ‘technique’ and get the pass.

Jon

Just thought of something else.

Where the clip begins can be a clue to what the hazard may be.
For example, a narrow country lane could indicate oncoming traffic, horses or pedestrians on foot.

High street , look out for people crossing etc.

Each clip lasts for about a minute so if nothing happens for 30 seconds and you are approaching a roundabout, it’s pretty safe to say that the hazard will be on the roundabout.

Definitely get some software. I used this

amazon.co.uk/Complete-Theory … 1843265826

Really helped and because there are so many practice clips, you can really get into it.

Currently working on c myself, i scored 63 twice with the focus hazard cd, then brought The official dvsa hazard perception cd which incidentally runs slower, and practised with that only and passed with 77, about £8 on amazon. labelled 2014/15.

I know the resources aren’t available but it would be so much better if you could do the hazard perception then sit with someone to explain why you clicked.

I downloaded lgv theory test and hazard perception app to my phone think it was about £6 and practiced quite a bit when ever I had a spare 10 mins or so I used it for the theory and hazard perception test and passed them both 1st time, worth s try for 6 quid.

done it today again!

passed so chuffed module 2 now Monday! and tips?

Well done mate :slight_smile:

Just read everything very clearly and check all the questions over . You’ll be fine