Hazard Perception DVD - Funny Hazards

Hi all.

I am practicing using the Hazard Perception DVD and I must say, on SOME hazards (not all), it wants you to click really late in the hazard. Bellow are links to pics to show you what I mean.

Pic 1
In the above pic (Pic1) you see a bus indicating and just moving off. Seeing as it is going to obstuct my side of the road I click the mouse. But I was too early. By the time I should have clicked to get 5 the bus is nearly past all the parked cars.

Pic 2
Pic 3
Here is another example. I see a girl crossing the road behind the van to the right, so I click (Pic 2), but once again I click to early and I would have only got 5 if I had clicked when she was coming out from behind the van (Pic 3)

And as you can guess. for getting 0 in both og them, this is the result.

Maybe I should have clicked more often around these hazards, but I did not want to get the big red cross and 0 points because of clicking too much.

Cheers

NB

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
got any more :question: - no-one has ever managed to do a post like the one above before as far as I know - great explanation as well :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
If you do a few more on this thread then I will put a link to it in the LGV training tips index :slight_smile:

The hazard perception test is designed for 17 year olds with no road sense. More experianced drivers such as those who are taking LGV tests click to early.

I am not sure of the benefit to LGV drivers this test has!

Treat it as a computer game and make sure you pass and get onto somthing more appropriate

Treat it as a computer game and make sure you pass and get onto somthing more appropriate

Most 17 year olds do just that - learn nowt from it - just pass it - what a waste of time effort and money :imp: :imp:

Will do ROG. If i come across any more I will post them here (if thats ok with the site mods as it cant be classed as cheating as the clips are different in the real test(?)). Just annoyed me abit to see that I was spotting potential hazards early (as can be seen on pic) and not clicking to many times (incase of failure for that clip) and I get big fat 0’s.

Will keep you posted. I am going to post more of this on my blog also so keep them peeled and feel free to comment on my blogs.

NB

I also noticed one or two on my dvd where it wanted you to click when you couldn’t see the hazard yet i.e.

the one that springs to mind is set at night, you’re following a couple of cars in a lane to turn right at traffic lights. The cars ahead of you turn right (and out of sight) at this point you were supposed to click!!? as you turn right, one of them is stopped at the side of the road forcing you to brake (a click as soon as you see it is worth 3points!). Yes, as a driver you would’ve seen it BUT, it’s not in view until you’re turning :imp:

Anyone know where it’s set? the best I can do is south wales near bridgend.

Got some more, just for you ROG.

Pic 1 shows the very start of the clip. You are in the middle lane, there are some trucks in the left hand lane, and a silver VW Golf is in the fast lane.
PIC 1

Pic 2 shows the start of the start of the hazard. The golf is slightly more forward, but is in the same possition in thier lane.
PIC 2

Pic 3 shows the car JUST (and I do mean Just) moving over towards the white line. This could be taken as either an unsignalled lane change or, in most cases, just movement within the lane (as we all know it is not possible to keep bang centre between the lines 100% of the time)
PIC 3

Pic 4 shows where I clicked. Finally the car decides to come accross without indication and quite quick. The “X” shows that I clicked here.
PIC 4

The final result was a pass:

But this once again makes you think how stupid the test is. It now wants you to click when you are just being overtaken safely…

Another one is there is a car waiting at a round-about, and he decides to go for it. I click but only get “2”. To get “5” I needed to click when he was sat still with no sign of movement untill the end of “3” going into “2”.

If this is the case I am going to click all parked cars, all cars at round-abouts, or at lights as you never know what the DSA will see as a hazard next. Oh look… bird [zb] on the window of a parked car… that must be a hazard as you can’t see if someone is in that car or not ready to pull out on you… :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Lets hope the real test is better thought out.

Cheers

New Blood

NewBlood:
If this is the case I am going to click all parked cars, all cars at round-abouts, or at lights as you never know what the DSA will see as a hazard next. Oh look… bird [zb] on the window of a parked car… that must be a hazard as you can’t see if someone is in that car or not ready to pull out on you… :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Cheers

New Blood

Be cautious of “over clicking” the software is designed (and DOES) think that you are randomly guessing trying to beat the pog ! 5 marks away for each lost clip (10 if its the double hazard !).

Caution :exclamation:

Learner drivers have a 22% higher pass rate than ADI`s on the HPT. Doesnt quite add up :unamused: . Unless ADI standards have dropped again :wink:

tis-hame:

NewBlood:

Cheers

New Blood

Be cautious of “over clicking” the software is designed (and DOES) think that you are randomly guessing trying to beat the pog ! 5 marks away for each lost clip (10 if its the double hazard !).

Caution :exclamation:

Thanks for the heads up.

I was being sarcastic though, as can be seen by the “emoticons” at the end. It, however, does make you think how stupid some of the hazards are getting and how “early” or “late” they want you to click. It would not supprice me if they did one where (to quote what I said earlier) “bird [zb] on the window of a parked car… that must be a hazard as you can’t see if someone is in that car or not and going to pull out on you”. I am all for Haz Perception for new drivers, but I think it should just be more questions for existing drivers.

Cheers

New Blood

NewBlood:
I was being sarcastic though, as can be seen by the “emoticons” at the end.

I was aware of that :stuck_out_tongue: All you need is to average 4/5 on 5 of the hazards and 3/5 out of the remaining 10 hazards to score 50 (Pass mark). I got a NO SCORE on two of the ■■■■ things but still scored 56 … Phew !

Better to be a little cautious than get carried away with the mouse, as I did :wink:

I decided to take a laid back approach to it and although my score was not good I did pass. I just clicked on the major things so on some clips I only clicked 3 or 4 times. On one clip I thought I had finished it so looked down only to look up again and it was still running…

As far as I can remember from when i practiced the hazard perception last year was that things are a potential hazard and always worth a click and when they become a real hazard then its a point scoring click i.e you have to brake change direction etc. I bet the bus one you mentioned was a potential hazard when it first pulled out from the parked cars, worth a click to be sure, then as it got closer it became a real hazard because your vehicle had to slow down or brake. The golf is a bit harder, I assume that it didn’t have it’s indicator on but as soon as it even looks like it’s moving over it becomes a hazard and clicking then would get you a better score. When I did the Hazard perception test for real I clicked on every potential hazard I saw, i.e. pedestrians on pavement etc. and didn’t lose marks for too many clicks, don’t be scared to click more than once for a hazard either.
Next time you practice and you see the golf click when you see it then click again when it moves slightly over then again when it tries to change lane then see what you scored.
I passed mine even though I clicked for sheep in the road and thought thats it and there were more further on, lol

Foxstein:
I passed mine even though I clicked for sheep in the road and thought thats it and there were more further on, lol

Had to laugh at the sheep clip, cos when the vehicle crests the top of the hill youre not entirely sure whats at the side of the road way up ahead. Being a biker in the Highlands, it was more apt for me.

I seem to recall that quite a few clips on the practice DVD are actually in the test !!! I recognised at least 2 maybe 3 road layouts and junctions !

Be ready for the oncoming artic turning right across your path on the dual carriageway !

:wink:

tis-hame:
Had to laugh at the sheep clip, cos when the vehicle crests the top of the hill youre not entirely sure whats at the side of the road way up ahead. Being a biker in the Highlands, it was more apt for me.

^^^^Teuchter alert! :wink:

I’d never done HPT before and I was driving / riding for 16 years. I got 66 (cat C) and 65 (cat D). I was annoyed about the getting less for the cat D clips as they were the mostly the same clips in a different order done the following day!

The name of the game is clicking when the hazard starts to develop if you spot a cyclist then well done, but you don’t get points for that, you get points for him starting to do something bleeding obvious.

1. It’s not about hazard, but developing hazards.
  2. It’s not about predicting things, but spoting things when they change.
  3. All the hazards are quite blatant.
  4. If you’re prone to shooting your bolt so to speak, then a second or third click should land you comfortably inside the score window, but remember clicking like mad doesn’t slow the camera car down! :laughing:

It’s a game, if you know the mechanics of the program you should be able to pass it dead easy.

macplaxton:
^^^^Teuchter alert! :wink:

I’d never done HPT before and I was driving / riding for 16 years. I got 66 (cat C) and 65 (cat D). I was annoyed about the getting less for the cat D clips as they were the mostly the same clips in a different order done the following day!

The name of the game is clicking when the hazard starts to develop if you spot a cyclist then well done, but you don’t get points for that, you get points for him starting to do something bleeding obvious.

1. It’s not about hazard, but developing hazards.
  2. It’s not about predicting things, but spoting things when they change.
  3. All the hazards are quite blatant.
  4. If you’re prone to shooting your bolt so to speak, then a second or third click should land you comfortably inside the score window, but remember clicking like mad doesn’t slow the camera car down! :laughing:

It’s a game, if you know the mechanics of the program you should be able to pass it dead easy.

Well, I must be stupid as I dont seem to be doing well on it.

Cheers

New Blood

I just did the HPT, Passed but by a whisker i think.

47/75 points…
The pass mark is 67%(50 marks)

I’m not an experienced driver by any means. Only been driving cars for just over a year. Driven a number of them in that time though! :wink: Was riding 100cc motorbike for a year before that and haven’t had a chance to get in a lorry yet. Not sure whether its sloppiness on my part or whether hazards are different when your used to driving? You see more like Burnie1 said. Bearing in mind im not a lorry driver, i do however try and take as much caution as i can!

One of my clips was a motorway one. Thats fair enough, except the only time i clicked was when a car was edging toward my lane. Scored 4 points for that!

As a 17yr old, your taught to watch ALL the pedestrians incase people (old people?) decided to run across the road. Well im sorry but im sure people will agree with me, when you’ve been driving a while, you dont slow down or put your brakes on whenever you see a person twitch their foot do you? (I dont :stuck_out_tongue: and the only accident ive had is being rear ended by a polish person who wasnt concentrating)

Waste of time i reckon!

Can some one explain the HPT to me and what the point of it is… Potentially everything on the roads is a hazard so why make u take a test??

acceptme:
Can some one explain the HPT to me and what the point of it is… Potentially everything on the roads is a hazard so why make u take a test??

The point is for the government to be SEEN to be doing “something” to reduce road casualties. Whether it works or not is not their problem. Yes, it’s a click-fest, it teaches nothing, you are only clicking to get the score, not to understand the hazards.

Done it twice, it’s useless, every experienced driver will spot it way too early for the system to mark it. I just clicked when I saw it, and again when they did something crazy. When I did it the excess click counter seemed to be based on a click/second. No more than 3 clicks per clip seems to work, double that if it’s a two hazard clip.

acceptme:
Can some one explain the HPT to me and what the point of it is…

Ther is NO point to it - 17 year olds treat it as a game to be passed and experience drivers get nothing from it - the DSA is currently reviewing the use of it.
There IS a better way but slightly more expensive and it has issues which would need to be dealt with - that is for the examiner to drive the vehicle under test (or one that belongs to the DSA) and for the trainee to commentate on all hazards seen - it would also allow the examiner to ‘get inside the trainees head’ and see how far ahead they are seeing the hazards.