Jobsworth Drivers

What are your experiences? We have a classic, brings back the bitumin paper pallet liners for reuse, hunts/begs and gets upset when places don’t exchange pallets, sellotapes split rejected bags and brings them back labelled “allergen/non allergen”(WTF is that all about? I’m meant to know apparently)), checks our lorries for cleanliness (said mine was disgusting-just because I don’t polish the interior), and doesn’t like it that some of us wont go on the Saturday wash rota.
Can you beat this?

Cotswoldcrunch:
Jobsworth drivers

Most of them are on here judging by the vast majority of the posts they write.

Sounds like a good employee to me m8,better than a lazy scruffy get whos does nowt ,let him crack on he loves it :wink:

Left hand down!:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Jobsworth drivers

Spot on

Its a can of worms your opening if i notice one of our lorrys with something wrong in yard like bulb out or soft tyre or something more serious il let driver know. Yes he might know but best be safe than sorry. Couple of times not got drivers atention in time and we have a few drivers whos english aint great so ive called office. It aint a firm that has an investigation over a bulb out or a puncture as it goes with the waste game so its more to help driver as we are near a vosa checkloint thats regularly open and vosa and police are always about in london.
One driver had a pop at me as office called him to tell him he was draging a matress up the road pull up and the bulker driver (me) will give you hand to remove it as i have cutters etc.
I was trying to help but as he wanted a tear up i left him to it. However if i see a driver oulled up having a kip il drive by but it has been known for drivers to call up.
Another driver regularly argues with office and will say but so and so does this that the other or dont do it its not his business there may be good reason for it.

Cotswoldcrunch:
What are your experiences? We have a classic, brings back the bitumin paper pallet liners for reuse, hunts/begs and gets upset when places don’t exchange pallets, sellotapes split rejected bags and brings them back labelled “allergen/non allergen”(WTF is that all about? I’m meant to know apparently)), checks our lorries for cleanliness (said mine was disgusting-just because I don’t polish the interior), and doesn’t like it that some of us wont go on the Saturday wash rota.
Can you beat this?

WTF is a “Saturday wash rota” ?

kr79:
Its a can of worms your opening if i notice one of our lorrys with something wrong in yard like bulb out or soft tyre or something more serious il let driver know. Yes he might know but best be safe than sorry. Couple of times not got drivers atention in time and we have a few drivers whos english aint great so ive called office. It aint a firm that has an investigation over a bulb out or a puncture as it goes with the waste game so its more to help driver as we are near a vosa checkloint thats regularly open and vosa and police are always about in london.
One driver had a pop at me as office called him to tell him he was draging a matress up the road pull up and the bulker driver (me) will give you hand to remove it as i have cutters etc.
I was trying to help but as he wanted a tear up i left him to it. However if i see a driver oulled up having a kip il drive by but it has been known for drivers to call up.
Another driver regularly argues with office and will say but so and so does this that the other or dont do it its not his business there may be good reason for it.

Oooooh I’ve had a few run ins with your types before. Bloke who lived in his lorry in the corner of the yard rang the office to tell them I was leaving the yard with an illegally large gap between my cab and trailer, little did he know I was only shunting it across the road. And another who came into the office to complain about the lorry on the road whose number-plate is in the windscreen and not on the trailer - he didn’t realise it was my lorry and that I’d only just clicked under the pin and was yet to hook up fully. Both were politely told that I didn’t appreciate it.

kr79:

Left hand down!:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Jobsworth drivers

Spot on

+1 hard to believe till you read it. I read some of them out to my non tinterweb mate on the phone,1 he dosent believe me and thinks im making them up,and 2 he either wets himself ,or just confirms how sad a state the haulage industry is In now polluted with bean counters…so sad,but true

Tesco drivers are jobsworths:!:

seth 70:
Sounds like a good employee to me m8,better than a lazy scruffy get whos does nowt ,let him crack on he loves it :wink:

Exactly, seems it is now a crime to take an interest in your job.

I stopped to make a phone call on the way back to the yard & one of ours went past me, when I walked into the office he’d told them I was asleep. What makes it worse is he’s married to my sister & I got him the job

Suedehead:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Can you beat this?

You’ll not be invited into the inner sanctum of TNCSI anytime soon. :laughing:

I once had someone phone the office about me embellishing the truth.
We where pulling rental trailers out of a yard in Manchester, but on arrival the guy in the office was busy and asked us to wait. The other driver was furious seemingly in a hurry. But to defuse the situation I said to the guy in the office “no problem bud, I can see your busy so it looks like I’ve no choice but to wait… Jokingly I said " I get paid by the hour so I get paid the same if I’m waiting or working”
Needless to say the other driver phoned up the office telling him i was telling all & sunder that i get paid the same etc etc and the boss was giving me grief when I returned to the yard later that day. Needless to say I let him have a little rant before I walked off and ignored him. He even shouted at me saying I wouldn’t get paid! I guess he didn’t understand how agy drivers get paid

Pimpdaddy:

beat this,parked in the Belfast rdc I sat on a break nightshift working for Tesco and lay back in the drivers seat nodding off for a 30 min break about 2 a.m. …10 mins later the t/m calls me on the phone telling me to switch off my engine as someone reported me as i was sitting in the cab with the engine still running.this was in feb,and Baltic.he said I should walk to the canteen and sit in there If I wanted a heat…Tosco…aptly named. prime example of a beancounter.

dieseldog999:

Pimpdaddy:

beat this,parked in the Belfast rdc I sat on a break nightshift working for Tesco and lay back in the drivers seat nodding off for a 30 min break about 2 a.m. …10 mins later the t/m calls me on the phone telling me to switch off my engine as someone reported me as i was sitting in the cab with the engine still running.this was in feb,and Baltic.he said I should walk to the canteen and sit in there If I wanted a heat…Tosco…aptly named. prime example of a beancounter.

You’d have had the engine running for two minute in one of ours before it was switched off automatically; and that’s getting more and more common. Use the night heater if it’s got one, less obvious and uses less juice.

Several reasons; it’s not just about fuel economy either. Many of these big premises have environmental restrictions on their premises especially at night, to comply with their O-licence conditions. Only takes a certain level of local resident complaints and you got big problems when it comes to renewal time, and noise is the big one. Stands to reason that if one driver does it the rest follow so on a really cold night you might get twenty or more units ticking over for hours on end which even with modern engines creates pollution. Carbon footprint or whatever they call it (hate the term) is a big money thing these days and there are all sorts of problems for any firm caught making more mess, smoke or noise than it has to; and I mean BIG money issues.

For once I agree with the manager. Personally I’d be glad of a walk to the canteen to stretch me legs at that time of the morning, specially if you can get a decent cuppa in there.

We had a jobsworth driver at our place.

1. He would always bring back the empty packaging,because he said if not,some other driver would end up with double to bring back next time :open_mouth: What a jobsworth !
  2. He used to carry a roll of tape and repair any packaging that got damaged on his lorry :open_mouth: He said it did not take long and he would not like something to be delivered to his house damaged :open_mouth: What a jobsworth !
  3. He once got to a small furniture shop the owner of which had left his old mother to hold the fort for a while. There was a settee blocking the
    doorway which the old lady could not move. So instead of doing the right thing ,bringing the delivery back,(not his fault the owner cannot be bothered to be there), he moves the settee,(really should have said “not insured to do that luv”)and made the delivery. :open_mouth: What a jobsworth!
  4. He got to a shop once and chap said " is that a xyz chair,because I am expecting an abc one ?. Instead of giving the response of " nowt to do with me pal I only drive the lorry", he said " I don,t mind waiting a few minutes if you want to ring our office" :open_mouth: What a jobswoth!
    When asked why he did his job like this,he said he had two reasons.
  5. If he thought the management were doing things against the interests of the drivers,he could go and complain ( he sometimes did ) in the knowledge they could not turn round and say " why should we listen to you your a ■■■■■■ ? "
  6. ( and this is the killer), he said he had something called " PRIDE ". WTF is that all about?
    So yes,complete jobsworth,good job there arn,t too many like him about eh?
    Regards. John.

old 67:
We had a jobsworth driver at our place.

1. He would always bring back the empty packaging,because he said if not,some other driver would end up with double to bring back next time :open_mouth: What a jobsworth !
  2. He used to carry a roll of tape and repair any packaging that got damaged on his lorry :open_mouth: He said it did not take long and he would not like something to be delivered to his house damaged :open_mouth: What a jobsworth !
  3. He once got to a small furniture shop the owner of which had left his old mother to hold the fort for a while. There was a settee blocking the
    doorway which the old lady could not move. So instead of doing the right thing ,bringing the delivery back,(not his fault the owner cannot be bothered to be there), he moves the settee,(really should have said “not insured to do that luv”)and made the delivery. :open_mouth: What a jobsworth!
  4. He got to a shop once and chap said " is that a xyz chair,because I am expecting an abc one ?. Instead of giving the response of " nowt to do with me pal I only drive the lorry", he said " I don,t mind waiting a few minutes if you want to ring our office" :open_mouth: What a jobswoth!
    When asked why he did his job like this,he said he had two reasons.
  5. If he thought the management were doing things against the interests of the drivers,he could go and complain ( he sometimes did ) in the knowledge they could not turn round and say " why should we listen to you your a ■■■■■■ ? "
  6. ( and this is the killer), he said he had something called " PRIDE ". WTF is that all about?
    So yes,complete jobsworth,good job there arn,t too many like him about eh?
    Regards. John.

Mmmmm I smell sarcasm! :laughing:

Suedehead:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Can you beat this?

WTF is a wash ? There lorry, they wash it GIRUY

Suedehead:

+1

Yes, do tell us.

Can’t stand the ■■■■■.