Deleted

Deleted

spannertrucker:
After placing a few posts on here over the last few months asking if there would be any jobs at Castlewood, I finally got my job offer the other day. I start in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait.
Been given the usual tales of woe by the scaremongers at my current job. “Don’t go there mate, hours waiting for a vehicle, then they expect you to do a 15 hour shift”. etc. etc. But I’m not listening. Well perhaps I am listening but I’m still going.
Any one who actually works there able to tell me what it’s really like? Any info would put my mind at rest.
Thanks for any advice.

Congrats, when I worked out of Blenheim I was never made to wait for a unit unless the one coming in was a bit late. The planned day was planned to the minute no 15 hour shifts unless an emergency on road or whatever. If I ran slightly over a few days they’d knock me off early and give me the afternoon off(paid) to make up for it. I would hope the attitude remains the same at the new place as I imagine some of the staff would of moved up there.
I’d be interested in the shift pattern now, I didn’t like it and it was the main reason I left. Not a bad job bar that all shop staff were very friendly and helpful.

a bloke left our place last week… coop bound.

he quit 2 days in,and is now trying to get his job back.

Well I am a Co-op store manager. Currently training for my C licence (maybe I will drive for co-op) :smiley: My store is supplied from West Thurrock. But talking to drivers most seem to say its ok not the worst. They have reduced deliveries to stores lately (I.e 4 per week ambient to 3) so im guessing that is taking some pressure off? Maybe not?
I have worked in loads of Co-op stores and they can be ■■■■ to deliver to, some stores you have no choice but to park down the road from the store and wheel the cages down the street.
(when I say cage, I mean loosely held together pieces of metal in the shape of a cage that might, if you are lucky have 4 wheels)

Some stores are nice but some are so old they are a pain for you to deliver to, but are a pain for us to work in too… :smiley:
But most drivers don’t really moan about it most seem to enjoy it. The pay in Thurrock is not too bad around £32k per year class c 33k c+e from what I have seen advertised internally. I suppose that is reward for the hard work? At the moment we are getting used to back hauling which is causing frustration for drivers and stores. Good luck. Co-op needs good drivers :smiley:

Deleted

spannertrucker:
Looks like I might have to concider withdrawing my notice. Surely somebody must think it’s a good job. Help me out here, I still have a few days to change my mind.

Have you asked what your rota is yet?
The cages being crap is part of the job, some stops take 10 mins some an hour it has its good and bad days like any job. T’is utter ■■■■■ in snow and ice though, and rain, and when it’s hot… :laughing:

Hi
I’ve been to CW once with agency and to be honest I didn’t like it much!!
I started at 7am gave my name and told them I needed induction. Sat in a tiny drivers waiting room(for a new build the drivers amenities are very poor!) with about a dozen other drivers.All waiting for unit/run some waiting for second run.
An hour and a half later I give my details again. Still nothing! So I decide to just sit and wait as I was told to do.
8 hours are up and I ask for time sheet, transport guy says we got you a run at 19:10 I said I’ll sign now and be gone thank you. They tryed to then move time forward and “do the induction another time”.

See ya was my reply.

Go for it. There were teething problems and probably still will be. You have good days and bad days. It is a good company to work for. Max 48 hrs for approximately 30k. Yes some hard days. But given current climate as it is new depot it is a safe and secure job. Good luck.

lost_scotsman:
I have worked in loads of Co-op stores and they can be [zb] to deliver to, some stores you have no choice but to park down the road from the store and wheel the cages down the street.
(when I say cage, I mean loosely held together pieces of metal in the shape of a cage that might, if you are lucky have 4 wheels)

Some stores are nice but some are so old they are a pain for you to deliver to,

I used to work at Thurrock (Gillingham before that). All of this is true for that depot lol

Deleted

I worked at Blenheim for 9 years, 6 as a transport clerk/planner, 3 years warehouse, although in my last year I did a day a week on class 2. If I hadn’t moved away I would still be there now, it really is a job for life if you want it. Great pension, pay rise every year, unionised, drivers stick together on pay negotiations too, profit share and a genuine 48hr average week, no POA. According to drivers still there you can now do overtime too one got £250 for a shift.

Stores are ■■■■ to get into, many on housing estates, difficult deliveries, bouncing cages that weigh 300kg up kerbs with no help, ■■■■ stacking, no access to the load (charghand was responsible for load security), some cages have 3 wheels, some delivery areas are on a big slope. You will have to work weekends apparently you get one off in 6 don’t know how true that is but been told it by a few who have transfered.

I would take it deffo! It’s hard work compared to many jobs but you will always get a brew at a drop (always ask if you want one and never turn one down if offered, even if you don’t want it).

Good luck with the Crooks (Sheffield) delivery lol

Wouldn’t it be nice if people actually wished you well when you moved on rather than fill your mind with doubts.
Well, stuff them. It feels right to me and I’m going to give it a shot.

have I got this right?
you ask for advice/info
you get advice /info
you don’t like advice/info
you post the above?

Oh, by the way, I wish you well in your new job :slight_smile:

Seany:

lost_scotsman:
I have worked in loads of Co-op stores and they can be [zb] to deliver to, some stores you have no choice but to park down the road from the store and wheel the cages down the street.

Some stores are nice but some are so old they are a pain for you to deliver to,

I used to work at Thurrock (Gillingham before that). All of this is true for that depot lol

I work around Medway, Currently running the store in Delce Road, Rochester. Busy little store, crap for delivery drivers though. I Just moved from managing Rochester petrol on the Medway city estate, Was a lovely store for deliveries. just pull up, tail-lift lined up with back gate cages, no Hassel :smiley:

So it is very much a case of really easy drops, to pain in the arse drops!!

To the OP : Co-op is generally a good company (society) to work for in my opinion. Good all round benefits. Plus nice new depot you will enjoy it in Castlewood. Good luck :slight_smile:

spannertrucker:
Wouldn’t it be nice if people actually wished you well when you moved on rather than fill your mind with doubts.

you asked for info

spannertrucker:

which is what you were always goin to do,anyway…so not much point in asking really :unamused:

good luck btw :grimacing:

Hi,

I did some agency work for coop out of Blenhiem and if I didn’t have the job I got I’d have applied at Castlewood too. There’s good and bad, some long days where you do a run then have to wait 90 minutes to get reloaded for the 2nd run, then short days where you don’t even work 6 hours!

The lorries were crap, 04/54 plate DAFs but I think they’ve moved to new scanias now.

Some of the drops are pretty tough, pushing cages full of drink up a slope but most are easy and the staff come and help you at some of them.

Go for it, no nights out, not too early starts and I’ve heard the stores are quite generous at Christmas!

NewLad:

What a bloody drop that is! A nice erm easy reverse out!

TheMagpie1862:

NewLad:

What a bloody drop that is! A nice erm easy reverse out!

Sent you a pm mate

del949:

Would

spannertrucker:

del949:

have I got this right?
you ask for advice/info
you get advice /info
you don’t like advice/info
you post the above?

Oh, by the way, I wish you well in your new job :slight_smile:

Sorry Del, you didn’t get it right. I meant “stuff” the people I see every day who have never done the job, but they always know a bloke that has.
I asked for advice from people on this forum that might have actually done the job. I asked for advice, I got advice, and I am very grateful for this advice. If my ““stuff them”” post offended anyone, I am sorry. I really do appreciate the advice, both positive and negative.
I have taken it on board and decided to stay where I am. I probably never intended to go anyway. If I had no doubts, I wouldn’t, have started this thread.
Thanks again for all the info.

Where you’re working now must be good then because co-op is the best job I have had.

I worked at the Andover depot, and all I can say is, it’s hard work, the shop people stand there watching you struggle with the cages, the wait for the RSU at the depot could be up to 3 hours, the debrief staff are ignorant ■■■■■■■, the trucks are shagged, apart from that it’s ok :smiley: