Jobsworth Drivers

dieseldog999:
+1 hard to believe till you read it. I read some of them out to my non tinterweb mate on the phone,1 he dosent believe me and thinks im making them up,and 2 he either wets himself ,or just confirms how sad a state the haulage industry is In now polluted with bean counters…so sad,but true

Or in other words, people who do the job properly and deserve the label of professional driver unlike you and your mate who just deserve to be called cowboys.

Sidevalve:

dieseldog999:

Pimpdaddy:
Tesco drivers are jobsworths:!:

beat this,parked in the Belfast rdc I sat on a break nightshift working for Tesco and lay back in the drivers seat nodding off for a 30 min break about 2 a.m. …10 mins later the t/m calls me on the phone telling me to switch off my engine as someone reported me as i was sitting in the cab with the engine still running.this was in feb,and Baltic.he said I should walk to the canteen and sit in there If I wanted a heat…Tosco…aptly named. prime example of a beancounter.

You’d have had the engine running for two minute in one of ours before it was switched off automatically; and that’s getting more and more common. Use the night heater if it’s got one, less obvious and uses less juice.

Several reasons; it’s not just about fuel economy either. Many of these big premises have environmental restrictions on their premises especially at night, to comply with their O-licence conditions. Only takes a certain level of local resident complaints and you got big problems when it comes to renewal time, and noise is the big one. Stands to reason that if one driver does it the rest follow so on a really cold night you might get twenty or more units ticking over for hours on end which even with modern engines creates pollution. Carbon footprint or whatever they call it (hate the term) is a big money thing these days and there are all sorts of problems for any firm caught making more mess, smoke or noise than it has to; and I mean BIG money issues.

For once I agree with the manager. Personally I’d be glad of a walk to the canteen to stretch me legs at that time of the morning, specially if you can get a decent cuppa in there.

I rest my case…nuff said.

dieseldog999:

Just further proof of how much of a dinosaur you are. Whats it like to be left behind by the rest of society?

Cotswoldcrunch:
What are your experiences? We have a classic, brings back the bitumin paper pallet liners for reuse, hunts/begs and gets upset when places don’t exchange pallets, sellotapes split rejected bags and brings them back labelled “allergen/non allergen”(WTF is that all about? I’m meant to know apparently)), checks our lorries for cleanliness (said mine was disgusting-just because I don’t polish the interior), and doesn’t like it that some of us wont go on the Saturday wash rota.
Can you beat this?

I think hes a good driver,

there is a difference between being a complete tool and helpful looks like a few can not tell the difference.

dieseldog999:

Sidevalve:

dieseldog999:

Pimpdaddy:

beat this,parked in the Belfast rdc I sat on a break nightshift working for Tesco and lay back in the drivers seat nodding off for a 30 min break about 2 a.m. …10 mins later the t/m calls me on the phone telling me to switch off my engine as someone reported me as i was sitting in the cab with the engine still running.this was in feb,and Baltic.he said I should walk to the canteen and sit in there If I wanted a heat…Tosco…aptly named. prime example of a beancounter.

You’d have had the engine running for two minute in one of ours before it was switched off automatically; and that’s getting more and more common. Use the night heater if it’s got one, less obvious and uses less juice.

Several reasons; it’s not just about fuel economy either. Many of these big premises have environmental restrictions on their premises especially at night, to comply with their O-licence conditions. Only takes a certain level of local resident complaints and you got big problems when it comes to renewal time, and noise is the big one. Stands to reason that if one driver does it the rest follow so on a really cold night you might get twenty or more units ticking over for hours on end which even with modern engines creates pollution. Carbon footprint or whatever they call it (hate the term) is a big money thing these days and there are all sorts of problems for any firm caught making more mess, smoke or noise than it has to; and I mean BIG money issues.

For once I agree with the manager. Personally I’d be glad of a walk to the canteen to stretch me legs at that time of the morning, specially if you can get a decent cuppa in there.

Which one was it, Belfast or the Baltic??

steelgoon:

dieseldog999:

Sidevalve:

dieseldog999:

Pimpdaddy:

Baltic as in cold perhaps?

Contraflow:

Suedehead:
WTF is a “Saturday wash rota” ?

+1

Yes, do tell us.

Pete osbourne used to have a wash weekend,drivers spent all their free time washing and polishing the motors [underneath aswell]for no money,not seth though he was too busy on the lash at weekends,could be the reason i only lasted a month :laughing: :laughing:

Dav1d:

steelgoon:

dieseldog999:

Sidevalve:

dieseldog999:

Pimpdaddy:

Baltic as in cold perhaps?

:unamused:

mutley:
I stopped to make a phone call on the way back to the yard & one of ours went past me, when I walked into the office he’d told them I was asleep. What makes it worse is he’s married to my sister & I got him the job

■■■■ in his brew :smiley:

There are jobsworths in every profession, I am currently studying to get my Class C so I can change careers after over a decade working in food retail.
One of the major reasons I am leaving is the amount of people I have to work with who don’t fully know or understand what they are doing but are not willing to admit this and / or ask for help and guidance, instead they just carry on making mistakes and passing the blame onto other people.

I am not going to say who I currently work for, but it is company policy that when a driver arrives they have to park in our yard, exit their veichle and come and ask permission to back onto the loading bay, while they are reversing onto the bay, someone has to watch them backing on.
If a driver does not do this, we are suppose to take down their detail, ring the TM at the DC and make sure the driver is disciplined upon their return to the depot.
I have never once followed this procedure as it is completely pointless, we are all working for the same team and I am not going to get a professional driver in trouble for reversing onto a bay, something which I have explained to my boss is practised many times before a Class 1 licence is issued.

I do however know of some colleagues in other stores who not only phone up but also keep a log for future reference.

There seems to be some confusion between the bloke who likes to do a good job and one who likes to drop his mates in it.
The driver I wrote about in my earlier post was in the yard one day and saw one of our other drivers set off down the road loaded with the back doors open. He tried to ring the driver but got no reply.So, he jumps in his car, chases the driver,and a bad situation is avoided.
Unfortunately the gaffer had been looking for him and wanted to know where the hell he had been. He told the gaffer he had nipped home for some thing he had forgotten,and got a right bollocking.
So I don,t assume the bloke who trys to do a descent job has to ALWAYS also be the " please sir, please sir…Jonny did this sir " bloke.
Regards. John.

kr79:
Its a can of worms your opening if i notice one of our lorrys with something wrong in yard like bulb out or soft tyre or something more serious il let driver know. Yes he might know but best be safe than sorry. Couple of times not got drivers atention in time and we have a few drivers whos english aint great so ive called office. It aint a firm that has an investigation over a bulb out or a puncture as it goes with the waste game so its more to help driver as we are near a vosa checkloint thats regularly open and vosa and police are always about in london.
One driver had a pop at me as office called him to tell him he was draging a matress up the road pull up and the bulker driver (me) will give you hand to remove it as i have cutters etc.
I was trying to help but as he wanted a tear up i left him to it. However if i see a driver oulled up having a kip il drive by but it has been known for drivers to call up.
Another driver regularly argues with office and will say but so and so does this that the other or dont do it its not his business there may be good reason for it.

That not being a jobsworth, that’s just looking out for your fellows.

mutley:
I stopped to make a phone call on the way back to the yard & one of ours went past me, when I walked into the office he’d told them I was asleep. What makes it worse is he’s married to my sister & I got him the job

Surely not?

peirre:
I once had someone phone the office about me embellishing the truth.
We where pulling rental trailers out of a yard in Manchester, but on arrival the guy in the office was busy and asked us to wait. The other driver was furious seemingly in a hurry. But to defuse the situation I said to the guy in the office “no problem bud, I can see your busy so it looks like I’ve no choice but to wait… Jokingly I said " I get paid by the hour so I get paid the same if I’m waiting or working”
Needless to say the other driver phoned up the office telling him i was telling all & sunder that i get paid the same etc etc and the boss was giving me grief when I returned to the yard later that day. Needless to say I let him have a little rant before I walked off and ignored him. He even shouted at me saying I wouldn’t get paid! I guess he didn’t understand how agy drivers get paid

Quality Peirre.

dieseldog999:

Pimpdaddy:

As if T need to worry about a truck engine idling in their RDC for half an hour…

Conor:

dieseldog999:
+1 hard to believe till you read it. I read some of them out to my non tinterweb mate on the phone,1 he dosent believe me and thinks im making them up,and 2 he either wets himself ,or just confirms how sad a state the haulage industry is In now polluted with bean counters…so sad,but true

Or in other words, people who do the job properly and deserve the label of professional driver unlike you and your mate who just deserve to be called cowboys.

I think you’re missing the point Conor, wether that bloke has missed the other point is too complicate for me to ascertain on a Friday.

It’s OK to point things out IF it’s to help a brother but if it’s to get a brother specifically in to hot water then that person is a ■■■■■

Granted, you wouldn’t want him idling the engine all night but in my opinion idling it for a half or a 45 is fair enough if it’s cold.

danalex84:
There are jobsworths in every profession, I am currently studying to get my Class C so I can change careers after over a decade working in food retail.
One of the major reasons I am leaving is the amount of people I have to work with who don’t fully know or understand what they are doing but are not willing to admit this and / or ask for help and guidance, instead they just carry on making mistakes and passing the blame onto other people.

I am not going to say who I currently work for, but it is company policy that when a driver arrives they have to park in our yard, exit their veichle and come and ask permission to back onto the loading bay, while they are reversing onto the bay, someone has to watch them backing on.
If a driver does not do this, we are suppose to take down their detail, ring the TM at the DC and make sure the driver is disciplined upon their return to the depot.
I have never once followed this procedure as it is completely pointless, we are all working for the same team and I am not going to get a professional driver in trouble for reversing onto a bay, something which I have explained to my boss is practised many times before a Class 1 licence is issued.

I do however know of some colleagues in other stores who not only phone up but also keep a log for future reference.

Splendid.

Silver_Surfer:
Quality Peirre.

As a scumbag agency driver I never tend to let people get to me.
Though I did feel a little sympathy for the newbie agency driver who was with me wanting to get his timesheet signed.

The guy ranting was a star, an actual Ambassador of Sheffield :wink: