job references

ok, ive had a bad run of jobs in last 5yrs or so, ive been in my present job as a coach driver for 2 yrs now and want to get back into trucks, there aint a lot about in my area of staffordshire so may have to go further affield.
but my dilema is references, how far do you go back and will employers over 5 yrs or more actually remember you and be bothered, as everyone knows that drivers drift about from one job to next quite regular and some are lucky not too. so what do you do if you cant get one as most need them nowdays.

But also remember that you cant give someone a bad reference now

well when i returned to my present employer my previous company did as they told me they didnt give a good one,just because i was leaving after a bit o fall out over sommit stupid, but they knew me already but they still gave me a job, so it proves it still happens.

animal:
But also remember that you cant give someone a bad reference now

no, but you can refuse to give a reference when asked, in my eyes, that is just the same as giving a bad one

I’m in a similar situation as the last 2 companies that i worked for (both agencies) have since ceased trading, and prior to that the company that i did euro work for GBA they won’t give references, they even had a clause in their contract of employment about it stating that we do not have to provide references and therefore don’t basically (or words to that effect)

No driver that i’m aware of ever got or even bothered asking them for one after they left, and there was rumors that they found out where a certain driver started working after he left them, and they rang the employer and bad mouthed him, but fortunately he never lost his job through it, as his new boss saw through it,

they to my knowledge never have sacked anyone ,as they always will leave when they don’t give them enough work thus no pay (starved out of the job) When things go quiet , when in reality it’s supposed to be a full time permanent job that was salaried ,