Agency - help with references

an agency hads rung me today asking for references cos my employer refused to give one only said i work there and how long i had and job title, said its nothing bad its cos of legal reasons, is this normal?

will they not offer me work if i dont get one

A lot of places will not give a reference. They are only obliged to state the dates that you worked for them.

Get a mate to give you a reference. :wink:

they said they only take previous employers, so by this do you mean make your own tale up and give a mates number

bigcheese:
they said they only take previous employers, so by this do you mean make your own tale up and give a mates number

I’m sure they’d accept one previous employer and a personal reference.

I wouldn’t get a mate to pose as an ex-employer… not worth getting caught-out, but an old co-worker could give a reference…

yeah good advice pal but ive been in same job since leaving school, great loyalty eh !

has anyone any advice on how to get round this? will the agency class there refusal as a bad reference

Try a different agency, I’ve never been asked for references.

they say that they dont give any references out due to legal reasons, and they cant give me one and no body else as its also unfair, just hoping that just confirming me dates i worked there and job will not be classed as bad. i thought all companies had to provide one and it couldnt be bad either. after looking on net tho seems as if most firms are doing this now to stop being sued.

just seems crazy that ive got a full clean proven history and loyalty with my firm and cant use it to get a few stupid hours driving every couple weeks.

Tell the agency that you are planning to leave your current employer after gaining experience and that they are unaware of your licence and intention.

i did that to start with yet they still contacted them for a reference, and i dont have any other previous employer references i guess thats why

Exactly most companies are terrified that references will get them sued and will not give any information other than to minimum of confirming your job title and the dates you were employed.

I would say the agency is naive if they’re insisting on getting more and it shouldn’t reflect badly on you. It should stand you in credit if you have a long term history with one company, especially if you’ve moved up the greasy pole in that time.

Try another agency :wink: Theres plenty about :slight_smile:

8wheels:
Tell the agency that you are planning to leave your current employer after gaining experience and that they are unaware of your licence and intention.

Tried this one myself with a local agency this week.

I’m hoping to get a call this weekend.

I can only live in hope :smiley: