Reference Check

Do you think Haulage companies ever check references?

Anyone ever had problems with a new job because of a reference from a previous employer?

Some do some don’t, those who offer the top terms and conditions do, the opposite applies too.

No.

its illegal to give a bad reference, worst the ex employer can do is refuse to give one. daft i know :\

Steve-o:
Do you think Haulage companies ever check references?

Anyone ever had problems with a new job because of a reference from a previous employer?

They do, I once went for a job @ Salvesen/ND & they checked. I only found out when my then employer told me, after I told them I wasn’t offered the job then they offered me my old job back.

Juddian:
Some do some don’t, those who offer the top terms and conditions do, the opposite applies too.

No.

Not always true…had checks for a supposedly top job locally with awesome conditions and willy waving lorries…biggest pile of zb job I’ve had privilege of doing for 6 months. Still suprised I lasted that long looking back without killing my ex boss :laughing:

Didn’t have any checks for last job…personally I couldn’t ask for a better job at present for T&C’s.

Topsy Turvey world hey :unamused:

If they didn’t then there would obviously be no need to ask for all the details for reference contacts.The idea is ridiculous in the case of long periods out of the workplace for whatever reason and/or asking for multiple checkable references in the case of anyone who hasn’t worked for multiple employers over a short period.

chainmailguy:
its illegal to give a bad reference, worst the ex employer can do is refuse to give one. daft i know :\

I’ve heard that before.

I was under the impression your employer could give an accurate one. If that painted you in a bad light then so be it. That would be technically a bad reference.

As said before, most employers (especially corporate companies) will only confirm the dates you were employed by them.
Nothing less, and nothing more…

Steve-o:

chainmailguy:

I’ve heard that before.

I was under the impression your employer could give an accurate one. If that painted you in a bad light then so be it. That would be technically a bad reference.

You are correct

I know that the vast majority of companies don’t check. Since leaving the army in 99 I’ve applied, and got the job, at 8 different companies for full time work, as well as a few agencies, and in all cases bar one they were never checked. I know this as I always put my sister down as a reference, without telling them who she is obviously, as she has her own business making work surfaces. I always put her down as a previous employer & she’s only ever been sent a form to fill in once.
Most companies use a bog standard, Internet produced, form for prospective employees to fill in, the references part is there because they think it should be, probably started as an afterthought that then became “the law”.

It’s quite rare in my experience, for employers to actually take up references. Many hauliers are so desperate to fill some types of driving work, they’ll literally take on anyone with a pulse.

Problem comes when one does agency work, as most agencies have a policy of not providing references. There is a conflict of interest there though, as they too have a major problem getting experienced drivers.

chainmailguy:

No it is not. Any reference (if given) must be fair and accurate, even stating that the employee was sacked (and the reason). Employers are usually reluctant to give a bad one because of the potential for grief if the employee challenges it.

My last company it was company policy (yanks policy) not to give out references. All they give you is a letter stating your start date and finish date.

Jeez see explaining this to folk in interviews it was murder, I had to put down my old managers number who then confirmed they can’t give out references or he’d get sacked.

Roymondo:

chainmailguy:

No it is not. Any reference (if given) must be fair and accurate, even stating that the employee was sacked (and the reason). Employers are usually reluctant to give a bad one because of the potential for grief if the employee challenges it.

They can’t give a bad reference, they can give an honest one. big difference, if you’re ■■■■ and they dont slander you then it’s all square in the eyes if the law.

At least thats what i was told when i worked as a job coach for a reputable back to work training company

chainmailguy:

Roymondo:

chainmailguy:

They can’t give a bad reference, they can give an honest one. big difference, if you’re [zb] and they dont slander you then it’s all square in the eyes if the law.

At least thats what i was told when i worked as a job coach for a reputable back to work training company

“Employee X was dismissed for gross misconduct after being caught stealing cash and property on several occasions”.

That’s a bad reference in anybody’s book and (provided it is factual) nothing wrong with it at all. So to say that giving such a reference is “illegal” is quite simply incorrect.