Its been a while.

Its been a while since i went “up the road” as we say down here,but have got a job upto newcasle u tyne this week, have not done a trip up that way since the early ninties but got a rate i cound’nt refuse so thought i’d give it ago. my questions are: as there are some new roads now, whats the best way up from portsmouth? and wheres a good safe overnite park nearby Newcastle with good facillities? thanks.

woul try barton park on the A1 next junction up from scotch corner 40 mins from n castle its safe enough there now though it used to be rough.
Dont park in laybys on A19 youre load or diseal wont be there in the morning.

the best/easiest route would probably be M27-M3-M25-M1 all the way up to be honest there isnt very many other ways you could go aprt from M27-M3-A34-M40-M6-M62-A1 but thats a bit long winded.

just enjoy the drive and be safe mate, thats all you need in life!

Cheers fella, dont do laybys anymore had that for 25yrs, usually i am home every night do london and nearby counties normally,but every now and again i like to have a trip away, normally use travelodges, but got a big sleeper so might aswell use it!

Giblsa:
the best/easiest route would probably be M27-M3-M25-M1 all the way up to be honest there isnt very many other ways you could go aprt from M27-M3-A34-M40-M6-M62-A1 but thats a bit long winded.

always used to go M18 to A1 straight up, but heard the M1 now goes east around leeds…is that a better route? always used to use A34,M40 A43 to M1 .

it will still bring you back on A1 and yes it is much better. was on it the first day it opened it was like the dodgems evreyone jumping lane at the last moment . :laughing:

scania245:
it will still bring you back on A1 and yes it is much better. was on it the first day it opened it was like the dodgems evreyone jumping lane at the last moment . :laughing:

They must of all travelled up from the M25 that day then :wink:

Don’t go near barton park, the place is like the Somme! Holes everywhere and you stand a good chance of getting your diesel nicked… :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

lightforce:
Don’t go near barton park, the place is like the Somme! Holes everywhere and you stand a good chance of getting your diesel nicked… :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

oh right, is the old BP one still there think it was called Birtly ?

Nah, Birtley shut a year or so ago. You can park in Birtley town centre though just behind Safeway. Dunno how secure your load would be though.

so is there no truckstops or parks up that way now then, maybe have to use a travelodge then.

Best Place for parking near to Newcastle City Centre is just off the Felling By Pass on Hawks Road Industrial Estate.

McDonalds is only a 5 - 10 minute walk away on the Felling By pass, if your brave, pop into the Clark Chapmans Security Office and have a chat with security guard and ask if you can park on the road just on the other side of the barrier, he’s a canny enough chap and providing you dont block any of the entrances he’s ussually ok for it, although theres also a bit wasteland opposite the factory in Clark Chapmans and fenced off next to his hut he might put you in there.

If your wanting something to eat then Team Valley is about your best bet as theres now a late night burger van there near the fruit & veg market

There are plans for a new Council Owned Lorry Park next to Testo’s Roundabout off the A19 at Boldon, but I’m not sure when that opens

Try Chester Le Street market place,loads of take aways pubs and a tesco.Only 20 mins to Newcastle.Think its free to park and its got cameras on.Public car park during the day only downside its under the railway viaduct so could be a bit noisy.
I would come up M27,M3,A34,M40,A43,M1,always use this for Southampton trips and i would still use M18,A1 as its quicker.

dbcooper:

Giblsa:

always used to go M18 to A1 straight up, but heard the M1 now goes east around leeds…is that a better route? always used to use A34,M40 A43 to M1 .

its still quicker to use m18/a1,m1 adds bout fifteen mins.im afraid there are no lorry parks in the area now,apart from washington services,but to be honest you would be safer parking up in iraq.industrial estates like team valley,safeway or the waggon pub just off the second team valley turn off going north.birtley has (free nobody pays) lorry park as pointed out behind safeways,plenty of takeaways,resteraunts,pubs etc.never heard of any bother there.

lightforce:

To be honest i havent heard of any problems at Barton Park lately, the land is a bit rough if you are late but it is quiet.

The food is reasonable but stodgy or fried and the Moto signs are a bit misleading :confused:

Giblsa:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m glad you’re not one of my drivers!! Clearly diesel grows on trees in your part of the world.

dbcooper, the route you want is M27, M3, A34, M40, A43, M1, M18, A1 please.

how do we know the starting place
i didnt see it mentioned
as this is a one off i would say park Washington Services
as they have TV room dunno about it having Travelodge
the customer will be paying for the night out so why put up with rubbish

hitch:
how do we know the starting place
i didnt see it mentioned

Original Post

dbcooper:
Its been a while since i went “up the road” as we say down here,but have got a job upto newcasle u tyne this week, have not done a trip up that way since the early ninties but got a rate i cound’nt refuse so thought i’d give it ago. my questions are: as there are some new roads now, whats the best way up from portsmouth? and wheres a good safe overnite park nearby Newcastle with good facillities? thanks.

Hitch… Should of gone to Spec Savers Lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

Giblsa:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m glad you’re not one of my drivers!! Clearly diesel grows on trees in your part of the world.

dbcooper, the route you want is M27, M3, A34, M40, A43, M1, M18, A1 please.

Yep thats the way to go do it regular,both ways.

Thanks for the replys guys,seems the way i used to go is still the best option then, as for parking sure i’ll find somewhere.