Is trucking the right career move?

Hi everyone
I am new here, please be gentle with me!

I was a HIP (Home Information Pack) provider until it was suspended by the government back in May last year, now I am looking for a new career I am 48 and have a clean license since I was 17!

Do you think it is worth getting a C+E or just a C etc Are there jobs out there?

I live near Gatwick.

Your comments are very welcome.

Thanks

There are some jobs out there but not many & is a very competitive market for a newbie as there are a lot of experienced drivers out there looking for work

But this is not just a job btw it becomes a way of living which is what a lot of people dont realise it is not mon - fri 9-5 either sat in an office you could be outside in all kind of weathers

Have a good look round this site to see if it is really what you would like to do

If you do decide to go for it then please stay away from the brokers there are a lot of knowledge people on here

I did my training direct with the trainer after advice from here. I only did C licence and I’m lucky enough to have a part time job in another industry. I’m getting experience when I can but without the financial pressure. I’ve found work was slim from agencies until my licence clicked over 6 months then the phone started to ring, not a lot but they needed me a couple of times in the first week of this year. I’d agree with animal that there’s a lot of experienced drivers chasing work. It’s a catch 22 in some ways as you don’t get the work due to lack of experience but how are you to get it unless you work?

My policy at the moment is to accept whatever they give, turn up on time, ask (everybody I’ve spoken to is very friendly and helpful) and try not to break anything.

The job I do at the moment is not what it used to be, salaries have been cut working conditions eroded and yet still people want to do it. That’s no different to this industry I imagine. It’s difficult to know if you’ll like it until you try, nothing ventured nothing gained. I’d also sooner be on my death bed regretting what I’d done than what I hadn’t (within reason obviously :wink: )

i was made redundant 10 years ago so did my hgv test c+e passed on tuesday saw job in paper on wednesday went for interview thursday and started monday hated the job did it three weeks then got job on a tanker stayed 9 years till company lost contract,now driving anywhere and hate it,the companys all want to save money buy cutting wages or working longer hours but never sorting planning out.So to answer you i would say stay away unless you want 80+ hours per week for about miniuim wage.

My advice is to give it a go. Geographically, you’re in a good area for work and that’s a big advantage. Your age is good - enough years to be “mature” without being “old” (like me!).

As mentioned previously, trucking is a way of life. It comes as a big shock to some people who thought that they were in for a shiny new Scania and £700 a week the day after passing their test! It’s not likely. Treat trucking as a career. You start at the bottom, work bloody hard and (with a few lucky breaks) eventually you can get good work for sensible wages. No-one ever got rich driving a truck but you don’t see many under-nourished drivers!!

Be prepared for knock-backs but don’t be surprised if you get half decent work reasonably quickly. Like I’ve said, you’re a very acceptable age and live in a busy area. 2 big plus’s.

Please don’t treat trucking as a last resort; you will be desperately disappointed. But if you fancy it (without rose tinted glasses) the very best of luck. It’s a great job (despite what some would say) if you’re cut out for it and don’t expect to get rich.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: