Change of career?

Hi, looking for advice. I’m in my mid 40s and have worked all my life in IT. Pays well but getting a bit dissatisfied with the industry now, fancy doing truck driving (artics especially - had a few goes already around depots). Don’t know if I’m really cut out for it though, coming from my comfy office job! So some questions:

1. If I can cut my hours at work, will I find odd driving jobs on days off (agency work?)

2. If early morning starts fill me with horror, should I just give up now :wink: ?

3. What’s the chance of getting my first bit of work, with no trucking experience?

Bear in mind I wouldn’t need the work, at least not to start with…

Andy

Hi and welcome. Some honest answers:

1. Slim chance
  2. Yes
  3. Small but not impossible

Having said all that, if you really want to do it then you should be encouraged and do what you want in life. But agencies are no longer the way forward. Full time work is becoming more common so trying to get work on odd days here and there will be hard.

Early starts go with the territory with some exceptions.

All the best with whatever you decide. Hope you don’t mind straightforward answers. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the honest reply Pete, I was half expecting to hear what you said. I’m torn on this one - love the idea of driving artics but as I’ve hinted, maybe not really committed to the job. Guess I’ll let my heart decide in time!

if you dont like the early mornings and a nice 13 or 15 hour day TBH i wouldnt bother lol

If you really want to do it then go for it - Even if you only pass your C+E for the qualification and experience

As for your questions - I would describe driving as more of a way of life than a job. You’ve got to love it due to the long and unsociable hours and you need an understanding partner and family too.

Ok, looks like I’ll stick to UK Truck Simulator for the time being :slight_smile: Friends are telling me to go for the training even if only for my satisfaction, but at £2-3K for C and C+E that would be an expensive ‘hobby’. Maybe I will one day just to get it out of my system :slight_smile:

Thanks for the frank replies - it’s exactly what I was after.

All i can say is make sure its something you don’t regret not doing while you can.

exit:
Hi, looking for advice. I’m in my mid 40s and have worked all my life in IT. Pays well but getting a bit dissatisfied with the industry now, fancy doing truck driving (artics especially - had a few goes already around depots). Don’t know if I’m really cut out for it though, coming from my comfy office job! So some questions:

1. If I can cut my hours at work, will I find odd driving jobs on days off (agency work?)

2. If early morning starts fill me with horror, should I just give up now :wink: ?

3. What’s the chance of getting my first bit of work, with no trucking experience?

Bear in mind I wouldn’t need the work, at least not to start with…

Andy

I’m going to disagree with Peter here,

1. Yes you can if there’s enough work within reasonable travelling time to where you live

2. No. You can find start times all round the clock. Not everything starts at 04:00!

3. I’ll agree on this. You will need to persevere but could get lucky in the same way as Gary Player!

Reading between the lines I would have to advise you there is little that is “romantic” about the job these days nor are you your own gaffer etc, etc. Dreams about being on the open road are just that. Dreams!

Good luck with your new career, i await the inevitable post/thread telling us how its a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■ job and you’ve just been pulled in to the office and given a written warning for breathing too much air.

If i was in your position, i would have an asessement, to see if it is for me or not :wink:

nothing ventured, nothing gained…

do an assessment drive, see how you feel

exit:
Hi, looking for advice. I’m in my mid 40s and have worked all my life in IT. Pays well but getting a bit dissatisfied with the industry now, fancy doing truck driving (artics especially - had a few goes already around depots).

You know you want to do it so do it. It might not be the best job in the world but it sure beats working in an office! :wink:

jackg:
If i was in your position, i would have an asessement, to see if it is for me or not :wink:

I thought assessment was more about tailoring your training but if it can be done as a one-off then maybe I will; is it in a truck, private or public road, do I need to do the medical, get a provisional license (for Class C)?

Love some of the replies, thanks, some encouraging :slight_smile: , it’s a massive move though, think I’ll be mulling over it for some time!

1. Yes you can if there’s enough work within reasonable travelling time to where you live

2. No. You can find start times all round the clock. Not everything starts at 04:00!

3. I’ll agree on this. You will need to persevere but could get lucky in the same way as Gary Player!

OK. Maybe I was a tad hard and forthright. Just got the impression that the OP had got a very romantic idea of trucking and wanted to try and get him down the right mental road.

Possibly I overdid it. Sorry. :blush: Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

OK. Maybe I was a tad hard and forthright. Just got the impression that the OP had got a very romantic idea of trucking and wanted to try and get him down the right mental road.

Possibly I overdid it. Sorry. :blush: Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t worry Pete, I welcome all opinions. As an instructor you’re going against your own interests advising against taking this up, so I know it’s an honest opinion. I think you’ve judged me well (I seem to want to do the driving on my terms :laughing:) so I’ll tread carefully.