New career move

Morning all,

I have been reading the forum for a while and would just like to get some advice off a few people.

Over the last 2 years I have been made redundant 4 times from the industry I work in (or have had to leave due to negotiating contracts which equal less money). I work in security management and want out now.

I’m 32 years old and basically have two viable options ahead of me. The first is to join the prison service at 23k a year, which is less than the wage I am used to (28-32k) so would have to take other work to top up my income. My second option is to get into truck driving (something I have always fancied doing).

From looking around the internet and the forums 28-32k a year for a class 1 is achievable and I have the money in savings to get everything paid for and done license wise.

Basically I have two questions - 1. Is the trucking industry a good move and 2. Who would be the best training provider for a new starter? I have looked at stobarts as for 2400 I can do my class 2 and 1 inc theory tests but I am or sure if this is the best company to go with?? Has anyone been with them before or can anyone recommend any decent company ( I am based in Southport near liverpool). My medical is booked for next week so once I have that I will be sending off for my provisional.

Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Andy

Have you read the stuff in my link below in my signature :bulb: :question:

I always wanted to drive so made it a point if getting all of my vocational licences (C, C+E, D, D+E) with the thinking that I’ll never be out of work that pays a decent amount of money and to be fair it’s worked so far.

The best thing is that there’s a wealth of different work out there so if you don’t like something there’s always another door open somewhere else. Some of my pals just float on agency and they get mostly five days a week which they’re cool with whereas I’m a bit risk averse because I want the security of knowing i have the work to pay my bills and mortgage so always go for permanent jobs even though sometimes you could probably earn a but more per hour on agency ( that bit extra get a eaten up quickly when they have no work)

So yeah I’d always advise getting as many licences as you can. Its taken me nine years to get all my vocational ones but it’s been well worth the tine effort and money. As for training provider listen to the guys on here is all.ill say.

For your training you won’t go wrong with Peter Smythe the forum sponsor. I commuted from Birmingham daily to there site near Mansfield. If you’re over
70 miles away they’ll put you up in a bnb I believe.

New, clean and clearly well loved trucks. The site it’s self is again modern, clean and clearly well looked after. Staff are all great and the trainers are professional and know there stuff.

One of the big plusses in my opinion is that the reversing bay you practice on is on site and the one you practice on is the one you test on. So it’s all familiar and makes life just that bit easier. Coming from busy Birmingham it was also nice learning on quieter roads than I have locally.

I did my cpc mod 4 there as well. Again can’t fault the equipment or trainer.

For your other question is trucking a good move? I think so. I’m 31, fed up of catering and 7 months ago I started the journey to get my licence. Passed class 2 last week. No immediate plans for class 1. I’ve seen a few class 2 jobs that’ll bring I’m 28. But for me even 24k would be a huge step up in earnings. I enjoy driving and I’m quite happy on my own. Though I do enjoy meeting new people and providing a service. So in many ways trucking is a good fit for me. I also like the variety I feel that my licence is a key to lots of different jobs and whilst I may discover I dislike certain trucking jobs I’ll probably come to find a niche I love. If you read this forum enough you’ll see that robot trucks are going to wipe out the job. To some extent it’s true, automation is predicted to impact lots of jobs in the next decades. But my gut feeling is there’ll be some form of driving job for as long as you want it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

You should manage 28 - 32k a year fairly easily. It depends on what you want to do, and your family commitments. One of my lads lives just up the road from you, yet works out of our Herts depot on a mix of Uk and Euro work. We rent a flat down there and him and another lad share it ( long storyP) for when they aren’t away. He’s on 40+k.

A net salary of £23,000 per year gives you ~£363.00 per week.

A net salary of £28,000 per year gives you ~ £429.00 per week.

So there’s a difference of ~£66.00.

I would imagine the prison officer’s salary is based on a 40 hour week. What would the driving jobs weekly hour requirement be? Then there is I am sure the opportunity to get some kind of promotion when you’re a Prison Officer which would increase your wage further. It may lead to a better job even. Two Prison Officers I knew were later taken on as Police Officers. But of course, these jobs aren’t for everybody. Of course, within driving there are so many different types of jobs. Some where you get home at night as if you’ve been working in an office all day whilst others you’ll be filthy. In some jobs you’ll be staying away from home all week. Is that for you? I think you need to decide what you’ll most enjoy. The two salaries you mentioned shouldn’t come into it as there will I think be more opportunities to progress as a PO. But you could earn more tramping. But would you like that lifestyle? It’s not for everyone. There are so many factors for you to consider.

I would recommend Peter Smythe Transport Traning.

He offers a residential course at no extra charge if you live more than 70 miles away.

I passed with him first time in July and i could not recommend him highly enough, everything spot on.

andywilliams1187:
Morning all,

I have been reading the forum for a while and would just like to get some advice off a few people.

Over the last 2 years I have been made redundant 4 times from the industry I work in (or have had to leave due to negotiating contracts which equal less money). I work in security management and want out now.

I’m 32 years old and basically have two viable options ahead of me. The first is to join the prison service at 23k a year, which is less than the wage I am used to (28-32k) so would have to take other work to top up my income. My second option is to get into truck driving (something I have always fancied doing).

From looking around the internet and the forums 28-32k a year for a class 1 is achievable and I have the money in savings to get everything paid for and done license wise.

Basically I have two questions - 1. Is the trucking industry a good move and 2. Who would be the best training provider for a new starter? I have looked at stobarts as for 2400 I can do my class 2 and 1 inc theory tests but I am or sure if this is the best company to go with?? Has anyone been with them before or can anyone recommend any decent company ( I am based in Southport near liverpool). My medical is booked for next week so once I have that I will be sending off for my provisional.

Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Andy

£23k a year for dealing with life’s scum :open_mouth:

It’s a no from me.

This industry is a pile of ■■■■.