Advice needed

Hi all I have been a constant viewer on this board so I’m here seeking advice… the trucking thing is always at the back of my mind, in fact it’s in the front at the moment!
Every morning I wake up read this board then head to indeed to search class 1 -2 jobs! Even though I haven’t even taken the theory yet… so about me…

I’m currently working in security doing nights working 4 on 4 off, with decent pay. £1700 pick up… sick pay and all the other benefits of working in education… however I’m just not happy anymore and haven’t been for a while, I have been here for 12 years, I’m female and 35 and just can’t see me staying here for another 25 years or so…

I have been offered the money to do a full package meaning I won’t being getting into debt to change careers, I’m based in the West Midlands so lots of companies around here, I’m sweet of the experience situation and that worries me a little as with the agency thing I’d worry about income with having a mortgage and 8 month old, my partner is very supportive and says just do what makes you happy…
so what do you guys think?!

Sorry for the life story just wanted to give you the full picture

I was the same. I left a well paid job 3 months ago to get my licenses and it was worth all the saving and stress. Agency work can be [zb] at times and rubbish money, but I’m 28 and have only been driving 5 years so need the experience until someone gives me a chance. Sometimes I’m out in Class 2, sometimes 3.5 or 7.5 but it’s money and reputation.
If you can make it work with family and finances, and something you’ve always wanted to do, just go for it. The training is very straight forward, just make sure you bury your head in the DVSA books and watch loads of CPC, LGV Training stuff on YouTube. :smiley:

A common view is
“We regret what we didn’t do, much more than what we tried”.
If you can have a fair go at it, why not.
A few years from now you’ll be qualified to join us old gits moaning about how bad the job is. . . . But still keep on doing it !

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the replys. As bad as it sounds it’s kinda what I want to hear, people saying just go for it, I’m kinda in a good position to have a go and try and gain experience with agency while im on my 4 days off, I know I need to be careful due to rest periods etc… I have also spoken to people who have recently passed and are now employed and doing the job, so far the responses have been very positive with many saying it’s the best thing I ever did… which is encouraging for people like me!

I’m in the West Midlands too, doing my theory tests a week next Thursday and Saturday. Annoying that I couldn’t do all three on the same day but hey ho.

I’ve been catering since 2004 and fed up. Trucking is going to be my big change. Like you I’ve got a mortgage and a young child. My wife is supportive.

However I’m initially unwilling to go agency. My intention is to try and go straight into full time employment with someone. If after 6 months I haven’t landed a new job. I will probably take the gamble, quit my job and go agency.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Good luck Eddie! Mine will be booked the second week in September! And for training hopefully the week after, I’m in the same situation with regards to agency, I don’t mind them but I need to be picking up the same money, and it’s not a given… I could be all passed in a few month hopefully and looking for work in the run up to Christmas and gain experience but I know it goes very quiet in January, also not sure where you are based but yodel wensdbury are advertising again, not great pay mind but they do take on new Drivers, nice fleet etc
Who are you training with? I’m going with MTS

avfcnat82:
Good luck Eddie! Mine will be booked the second week in September! And for training hopefully the week after, I’m in the same situation with regards to agency, I don’t mind them but I need to be picking up the same money, and it’s not a given… I could be all passed in a few month hopefully and looking for work in the run up to Christmas and gain experience but I know it goes very quiet in January, also not sure where you are based but yodel wensdbury are advertising again, not great pay mind but they do take on new Drivers, nice fleet etc

Thanks. Yeah with agency I’m wary of the risk of no work. Can’t not pay my mortgage!

I’ve got a week booked off on October that I want to use for training. After that I’m not allowed to take holiday until the new year. So that might slow me up. Not settled on a training provider yet but probably gtg since there instructors are registered.

I might take a look at yodel, Wednesbury not to far for me. I plan on knocking on brakes door once qualified. Tamworth ain’t to far away. I know they take on new passes and I’m a little bit familiar with them having been on the receiving end of there delivers. I’ve already handballed plenty of pallets and cages from the back of their wagons!

Is £1700 a month take home pay?If so you’ll struggle to match that unless you go tramping tbh and with having a 8 month old I’m not sure that being away from home 4/5 nights a week will be something you’d be happy with.
It’s something for you to consider.

Yes £1700 is take home pay for my 4 on 4 off. Also yes tramping is not really ideal for me to be honest, yodel are offering £9.90 days and +15% for nights, I don’t mind nights as I have been doing them for the last 12 years so if the pay is better on nights I would continue that,

xichrisxi:
Is £1700 a month take home pay?If so you’ll struggle to match that unless you go tramping tbh and with having a 8 month old I’m not sure that being away from home 4/5 nights a week will be something you’d be happy with.
It’s something for you to consider.

IronEddie:

avfcnat82:

Thanks. Yeah with agency I’m wary of the risk of no work. Can’t not pay my mortgage!

I’ve got a week booked off on October that I want to use for training. After that I’m not allowed to take holiday until the new year. So that might slow me up. Not settled on a training provider yet but probably gtg since there instructors are registered.

I might take a look at yodel, Wednesbury not to far for me. I plan on knocking on brakes door once qualified. Tamworth ain’t to far away. I know they take on new passes and I’m a little bit familiar with them having been on the receiving end of there delivers. I’ve already handballed plenty of pallets and cages from the back of their wagons!

Yes I have seen about breakes and spoken to a few people, think it’s like marmite! Good pay though. And a start I guess… we also have blakemores, dpd, Poundland dx and muller local to us so hopefully something will be achievable!

avfcnat82:

IronEddie:

avfcnat82:

Yes I have seen about breakes and spoken to a few people, think it’s like marmite! Good pay though. And a start I guess… we also have blakemores, dpd, Poundland dx and muller local to us so hopefully something will be achievable!

Yeah brakes is hard graft and I’ve heard varying things about the management. But I’m game. I’m feeling fairly positive about finding work once qualified. I dunno if they take new passes but I wouldn’t mind drayman work for marstons in Wolverhampton. I the advert I saw was mon Fri with weekends only at peak times. Early starts but afternoon finishes. Sounded like a nice gig.

Good luck to you and who knows months from now we may pass each other on the road.

Good luck to you to and hopefully we will… keep us posted on how you’re getting on! :slight_smile:

Hi Nat
If you need any info on Poundland just left after 5 years there and did 5 years at Brakes tamworth let me know.
Rumour is Poundland are starting night deliveries but will let you know will speak to a mate at the weekend.
DX,yodel Mainline and Asprays all run nights as do Pentalver in Cannock to the docks and back.

Eddie
Used to speak to marstons drays in the pubs in wolvo in the mornings seemed happy enough at 8am knocking pints back lol.