Is there any one out there

Mike-C:

browncow2:
hi, for the last two weeks i,ve had to drive a renault premium 450, 58 plated. as i,m not fussy what i drive.

I’m not fussy either but its generally what my gaffer gives me !!

browncow2:
is there any one out there that has got a good thing to say about the premium. the only thing i found of use was the fridge. disscus

I thought they where ok, they did suffer from rattly steps and bumpers but other than that i thought they where fine.

Mike, the step and bumper rattle is with the older style one. The newer ones seem to be screwed together a little better :laughing:

Steve-o:
I’ve always wanted to have a go at an old twin splitter

I can help you replicate the experience…
when at a roundabout try to pull away in front of traffic in neutral, then when you do get going try jumping up say from 3rd gear to top gear instead of fifth or sixth gear let it rattle and jump a bit and then shove it into first gear, the go back up the box three gears at a time. To get a feel for what its like gearing down for a uphill climb then try shoving your car in reverse when you’re going down the motorway at 70 mph and you’ll get the idea :smiley:

Mike-C:

Steve-o:

when at a roundabout try to pull away in front of traffic in neutral, then when you do get going try jumping up say from 3rd gear to top gear instead of fifth or sixth gear let it rattle and jump a bit and then shove it into first gear, the go back up the box three gears at a time. To get a feel for what its like gearing down for a uphill climb then try shoving your car in reverse when you’re going down the motorway at 70 mph and you’ll get the idea :smiley:

I retract my statement! :laughing:

I like the Premiums, especially the older ones. I bought 3 as O/O because they were reliable, mechanical so repairable, lightweight, powerful enough, economical enough and inexpensive because too many prima donnas wouldn’t drive them.
I put 600000 virtually trouble free kms on my 98. As long as you kept an eye on the things that rattled and tightened them up, and as long as you kept up with the servicing, they were pretty much bulletproof.

It always makes me laugh to read nonsense like the OP writes. My Renaults were good motors, and I rated any of mine above most things on the road because I didn’t just go by the badge, I went by the history. Because I was the one writing the history of my trucks, I was able to trust them implicitly. I never failed to get my trucks home, and was able to coach my drivers in getting them home when there were faults.

Mike-C:

Steve-o:

nothin comes close to a twin splitter in traffic and as for putting it in the wrong gear, thats impossible unless you’ve got no control over your left hand :wink:
btw all the modern day auto shifts are based on the twin splitter box.

i had the joys of driving a scanny p380 low cab today, pulling a 16ft 2 double deck trailer. yes it looked retarded

biggest bag of bones ive ever driven, gutless peice of {zb} if it saw a hill it paniced and ran the other way. my backs killing me because of the seat and the blooming steering was not there.not to mention it was an auto

who was that for gogzy?

gogzy:
i had the joys of driving a scanny p380 low cab today, pulling a 16ft 2 double deck trailer. yes it looked retarded

biggest bag of bones ive ever driven, gutless peice of {zb} if it saw a hill it paniced and ran the other way. my backs killing me because of the seat and the blooming steering was not there.not to mention it was an auto

Its a Scanny, what you expect, they all rubbish :smiley:

Ive got a 58 plate R420 scannia heap of [fb] it had to go into scania yet again on friday to have the oil seals done so i was out on another one last night how do you get a box full of neutrals out of a 18mth old opticruise ■■ oh yeh it’s a scania!! give me a premium / twin splitter erf anyday

garnerlives:
who was that for gogzy?

my guess is argos lol

Steve-o:

garnerlives:
who was that for gogzy?

my guess is argos lol

Co-op

the g bear:
Ive got a 58 plate R420 scannia heap of [fb] it had to go into scania yet again on friday to have the oil seals done so i was out on another one last night how do you get a box full of neutrals out of a 18mth old opticruise ■■ oh yeh it’s a scania!!

See if you give the scania auto box the time of day, Itl change the way it operates to suit your driving style, Mine will change up through the gears silky smooth 1 at a time if you ask it(nicely)
Too many people just jump into an auto and drive like its stolen, they also get crap fuel consumption cos they try an rev them into the blue!! Dont be too quick to blame the shoddy scania box, most of the time its the shoddy driver…I can hand my truck to someone for a day reading 10+mpg, i get it back later that day an its down to 8.5mpg because folk cant drive eficiently!

TONY530I:

the g bear:
Ive got a 58 plate R420 scannia heap of [fb] it had to go into scania yet again on friday to have the oil seals done so i was out on another one last night how do you get a box full of neutrals out of a 18mth old opticruise ■■ oh yeh it’s a scania!!

See if you give the scania auto box the time of day, Itl change the way it operates to suit your driving style, Mine will change up through the gears silky smooth 1 at a time if you ask it(nicely)
Too many people just jump into an auto and drive like its stolen, they also get crap fuel consumption cos they try an rev them into the blue!! Dont be too quick to blame the shoddy scania box, most of the time its the shoddy driver…I can hand my truck to someone for a day reading 10+mpg, i get it back later that day an its down to 8.5mpg because folk cant drive eficiently!

ill give it that, it does change quicker than a daf auto and it does kick in quicker mayby thanks to the clutch but i hate autos, only one i like is in a blooming terberg shunter, nothing comes close to how good that one is

gogzy:
ill give it that, it does change quicker than a daf auto

Christ, anything changes quicker than a DAF auto :laughing:

DAF95XF:

gogzy:

anything changes quicker than DAF full stop. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cruise Control:

DAF95XF:

gogzy:

anything changes quicker than DAF full stop. :grimacing: :grimacing:

The only DAF manuals Ive driven have been the LF45 and 55, I dont know if its the same autobox in an XF as a CF but… :open_mouth:

garnerlives:

gazwrf:

browncow2:
the only thing i found of use was the fridge. disscus

Everything except the fridge as he says :laughing:

He said only thing of use was fridge not that he liked it :wink:

I asked a different question :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

The Premium isnt idiot proof - who was the one sat in one the other night looking totally confused… :wink:
Or who texts me a few monthes ago asking where the air suspension button is on a 4x2 unit… :wink:

gogzy:

The 2 we had were the same, i bloody hated driving them. Going up the hill on the M20 towards the M25 i dropped to 15mph in one of those.I hope to god i never, ever have to drive another one of those again!

all bar one scanny ive driven have all been gutless, i had an r420 for a week and while it wasnt comfy it did go mainly cause it was a manual and there was never any weight onboard.

but how stupid does this look?

gogzy:
but how stupid does this look?

Not as stupid as the Argos ones look :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: