Renault Premium Unit

Thanks to the people who replied about my Volvo question, usefull info and opinions :smiley: :smiley: .

Been offered a Premium at decent money, whats the opinion, reliabilty etc around these as I have never driven one really. Volvo and Scania are my main experience but as we all know they cant be bought for the Renault pricesā€¦

As ever thanks in advance, all opinions good and bad are appreciated!

Thanks people :wink: :wink:

My cousin had one on a W-Plate with 385hp. It had no passenger seat (Solo Cab) and loads of room. Was supposed to be nice to drive and it did him nicely as a startup motor. However, the parts were HIDEOUSLY expensive. Thats about as much as I remember Iā€™m afraidā€¦ :unamused:

Is it the new shape one or the old shape one?

My experience is with the old ones, The bloke I used to work for has run a fleet of them since they came out. They are on some pretty hard work, mainly farms and building sites and seem reliable mechanically. trim isnā€™t as good, but a good driver can look after. They are a fleet motor and you get what you pay for, but I never had a problem tramping in one, found the driving position comfortable, but I sit quite close to the wheel, I know others who would like more reward travel on the seat. Outside locker box is small, really need a box on chassis if you carry a lot of straps.

Looks like theyā€™ve made a few chages to the interior of the new version, but I think it would be very similar. The only thing I really know about them is they have a Volvo drive line, so they might pull a bit better then the old 420DCI. :smiley:

Driven and lived with many Renault Premiums, from X plate with family firm through to 06 plate, working agency with several multinationals, both 4x2 and 6x2, 38T and 44T.

Examples I have used have been v reliable, comfortable and worthy machines, good on fuel, probably due to fact theyā€™re pretty light. Bunks are good as are seats. Not mega room but adequate.

Downsides were loadsa plastic on interior, slap-across manual boxes (some folks hate them) and fact that they are generally rattly buckets when they get over 5 or so years old if not 100% looked after.

In summary I would say Renault Premiums are value for money and would be high on my list for consideration but you need to keep the price in perspective when looking at them when compared to for example a Volvo or a Scannyā€¦they are muuuuuuuch cheaper which in this climate is good news, just be wary of condition and age and think ā€˜how long do I want to keep it?ā€™.

Canā€™t comment on the latest versions though which are Volvo-underpinned.

run trucks for years and never had one always thought sheds.got an 08 plate ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  back real cheap.its done 120000k in 3 mounths and not missed a beat.8.7 on 44t work.but truck is volvo with renault cab?

Have driven many of them,from the 340 to the latest 450.

Was actually in a 450 last night, (Hire motor.) which if Iā€™m lead to believe,is a Volvo in disguise.The latest ones pull very well,and are quite good on fuel.The auto box is a delight,for which the controls are on a stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel.For a BRS motor,which I would guess is fleet spec,it had electric windows,remote mirrors,air con.

The exterior,apart from the front end,hasnā€™t really changed much over the years,but itā€™s the dashboard which is very well laid out.There is a huge central rev counter,which encompasses a digital speedometer,which should mean there is no excuse not to monitor your speed.Within the sub menus on the multi use stalk,there is lots of driver information to hand.

The sound system is fantastic!!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

If I have one gripe about the inside,that is the colour of fabric is too light,and will get dirty very easily,as was borne out by the one I was driving last night,It was a 58 plate with 23k on it,and the seat looked like someone had spilt coffee on it!!! There is no fridge or cool box,so what I would do,is get a custom fridge fitted between the seat spaces that slides out,ala Volvo.Iā€™m sure one could be fitted,although I donā€™t know by who,and it would take out some underbunk space.

The rattling that they are prone to,is actually a very easy fix.It tends to be the steps that is the problem,and what you do is replace the nuts that hold it on,with some Loctite,and 2 lock nuts.I had it done when I had a supermarket trolley version a few years ago,and one of the fitters sorted it. :smiley:

Now afterwards I though to myself,if I was an owner driver would I have one?

Well yes I would actually,as it does the same work as your other motors,and now itā€™s got a Swedish based driveline,should be reliable,but what I would do,is get rid of the top hammock bed,and get a set of extra cupboards installed ala Volvo Globetrotter.

mjt:
its done 120000k in 3 mounths

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

Iā€™d have one but itā€™s very much a problem, the light colour of the interior, Iā€™ve seen one six months old and the driverā€™s seat and trim round the door were black with grease, brought a tear to my eye.

Quinny:
Have driven many of them,from the 400 to the latest 450.

Was actually in a 450 last night, (Hire motor.) which if Iā€™m lead to believe,is a Volvo in disguise.The latest ones pull very well,and are quite good on fuel.The auto box is a delight,for which the controls are on a stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

The exterior,apart from the front end,hasnā€™t really changed much over the years,but itā€™s the dashboard which is very well laid out.There is a huge central rev counter,which encompasses a digital speedometer,which should mean there is no excuse not to monitor your speed.Within the sub menus on the multi use stalk,there is lots of driver information to hand.

If I have one gripe about the inside,that is the colour of fabric is a too light,and will get dirty very easily,as was borne out by the one I was driving last night,It was a 58 plate with 23k on it,and the seat looked like someone had spilt coffee on it!!!

Now afterwards I though to myself,if I was an owner driver would I have one?

Well yes I would actually,as it does the same work as your other motors,and now itā€™s got a Swedish based driveline,should be reliable.

that nicely sums up the reasons why Iā€™m buying one :laughing:

(even agreeing with the fabric being too light)

EDD is May 10th (as a chassis cab - body and hitch need fitting after that)

Keep us updated Denis.

Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t be disappointed,although I have edited my post,as there are things I forgot.

Ken.

Quinny:
Keep us updated Denis.

Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t be disappointed,although I have edited my post,as there are things I forgot.

Ken.

Iā€™ve specced mine without a top bunk, and with a fridge (factory fitted under the bunk as you said) and a microwave fitted by the dealer :wink:

and donā€™t worry , Iā€™ll be posting lots of updates so youā€™ll all soon get bored with them :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Pics as well Denis.

Where is the microwave going?

I actually quite like the Premium,and I know itā€™s not everyones cup of tea,but they do what they were built for,and are a little cheaper.

Ken.

What age is the truck you have been offered?

i have always found that there is not enough leg room in the drivers foootwell, my left leg is rubbing against the engine hump all the time.

As has been said before, you get what you pay for.

If you are looking for something with plenty of room, pulls well, reliable, and had virtually everything done to it that needs doing for itā€™s age, i have got a DAF XF SuperSpace for sale on a 52 plate (pre-facelift model with the ā€œdriver friendlyā€ analogue tacho :smiley: )

PM me if you are interested

Quinny:
Where is the microwave going?

not 100% sure, probably either the centre locker above the windscreen or the tv shelf in front the passenger seat (also above the windscreen)

I actually quite like the Premium,and I know itā€™s not everyones cup of tea,but they do what they were built for,and are a little cheaper.

9k cheaper than a Volvo and a lot more cheaper than a Scania :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the replies, I find trucknet and its users really helpfull so againā€¦thanks all :smiley: :smiley:

Just seen the postings on the Premium. I rent a Premium which I have since September 2008. First auto box I have driven! I have never reset the overall fuel consumption read out and the figure remains a constant 9.3mpg.
Whilst I started on my own in 1969 I have never been a ā€œtruck nutā€ and have had several Renaults since they first appeared. Cheap and cheerful some say and I have endured the endless jibes that it was not a proper lorry i.e. a Volvo or a Scania. I rate them as good value for money and the latest is the best yet. Quiet, comfortable, pulls OK, stops OK, me Iā€™m easily pleased
OK the light trim is a bogey but mine still looks fine.
The only problem that there as been, is an irritating message which appears now and again saying ā€œIMMEDIATE STOPā€ a bit unerving the first time it appeared! Software problem, Renault allegedly sorting it. Just switch off, restart and it will be maybe months before it shows again.
My motto is that owning a proper truck with 590 or some other impressive figure emblazoned on the side doesnā€™t pay the mortgage.

Les zizis des routiers sont sympas

Lā€™escargot:
Les zizis des routiers sont sympas

Good post and I agree to many get cought up with having the biggest truck with the right name and forget about itā€™s about making it pay.

But what does ā€œLes zizis des routiers sont sympasā€ mean, wonā€™t translate on babel fish :frowning:

Never say a bad word about them premiums.My first truck was a old S reg.Never missed a beat in 2 years.New rad was all she had.That step rattle drove me wild tho.But she did her job & got me on me feet.Just a point Renault have got some cracking deals going on at the mo.
Ā£57 grand for a 500 Magnum & they will also pay the first three months finace which if your payments works out Ā£1500 is another Ā£4500 of your purchase price. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Run a Scania now & everytime shes in for service/inspection thers a Ā£150/Ā£200 bill not far behind.
& im also sick of Scanias arrogance.The customer is not king with Scania. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Bear:
Run a Scania now & everytime shes in for service/inspection thers a Ā£150/Ā£200 bill not far behind.
& im also sick of Scanias arrogance.The customer is not king with Scania. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

If you are using Haydock Commercials then ye hand will never be out of ye pocket, they will always give you a bill even when ye think ye motor is spot on!

I always found that when the wagon went in and came out, their work was sloppy, and within days somethin else would go wrong!

Im completeley sick Of Haydock Commercials.You wouldnt belive the trouble im avin.